[KSP 1.12.x] Parking Brake (0.4.4) - 2021-07-23

maja

4 hours ago, jpinard said:

Does this work for just landing legs?  Or only for wheeled vehicles?

I don't know, where in the OP is something about landing lags or wheels :wink:

Few notes:

• Parking Brake is added to every part which has the command module
  • Your vessel must be landed
  • Maximum speed of a vessel must be lower than or equal to 0.25 m/s

On 8/24/2019 at 12:22 AM, maja said:

I don't know, where in the OP is something about landing lags or wheels :wink:

Few notes:

• Parking Brake is added to every part which has the command module
  • Your vessel must be landed
  • Maximum speed of a vessel must be lower than or equal to 0.25 m/s

I guess I don't understand how this works.  Is it like dropping a gigantic anchor from your command module?  or does it look at landing legs and wheels, or whatever touched the ground, and creates so much weight or friction it can't possibly move?

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, theJesuit said:

This is excellent.  I think it would be a good temp measure for rovers and such, and then bases (with KAS/KIS) could have launchclamps added to them so that rovers could undock from bases. 

Peace.

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Can you elaborate it?

9 hours ago, maja said:

I was tired when i replied. Sorry!

One option to stop sliding on bases is to use KAS to attached a landing camp.  But this is better as it doesnt required the bulk of that mod,  and can be switched off when needed... as in it is temporary. 

Peace.

3 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Could it be that Parking Brake and WorldStabilizer don't work well together?

My landed vessel (in Desert, nearly flat, slight slope) slides slowly, no matter if Parking Brake is on or off.

Did you try removing WorldStabilizer and trying again?

Just load a simple stock vessel though in case your current craft has other ''issues''.

Thankfully lately never had a reason to use WorldStabilizer but it was a great mod back then....it saved my save when they upgraded the terrains and things got super wonky.

Edited by Boyster

7 hours ago, Boyster said:

Thankfully lately never had a reason to use WorldStabilizer but it was a great mod back then

I already removed it after the last session and will see next time.
I have to launch the exactly same rocket, though, to have the same lander to compare.
As WorldStabilizer did not add modules to parts this should be unproblematic.

So, well, I landed a Gemini near KSC because I had to do the Abort procedure because MechJeb said "no boosters alone why no main engine yet? I stop functioning." - well it was a Titan-II - and so the Gemini was on the ground.

Not sliding.

But the two Kerbals slided around on EVA.

Edited by Gordon Dry

On 9/17/2020 at 10:22 AM, maja said:

Hey maja, hope you are well, when you land a vessel only on engines sometimes parking brake doesn't work or works less i guess?

Here is the craft i did the test on: https://imgur.com/ctLAYiD

If a different part than the engines touches the ground then its locked and doesn't move at all.

Dunno if that's something you can look into it, i did some testing but not very thorough, still not really sure what's going on there.

5 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

But the two Kerbals slided around on EVA.

Yeah its confirmed by the creator it doesn't work with Kerbals but maybe in the future? who knows :) .

Edited by Boyster

On 9/27/2020 at 5:57 AM, Boyster said:

Hey maja, hope you are well, when you land a vessel only on engines sometimes parking brake doesn't work or works less i guess?

Here is the craft i did the test on: https://imgur.com/ctLAYiD

If a different part than the engines touches the ground then its locked and doesn't move at all.

Dunno if that's something you can look into it, i did some testing but not very thorough, still not really sure what's going on there.

Yeah its confirmed by the creator it doesn't work with Kerbals but maybe in the future? who knows :) .

Kerbals and engines are probably the same issue. There is something, that overrides function of my mod.

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/19/2020 at 4:23 PM, linuxgurugamer said:

@maja

Minor issue, I engaged Parking Brake on a vessel, then either had to exit the game or changed scenes (don't remember which).  When I went back to the scene, Parking Brake was not active and my vessel was sliding

Second try. My first reply was lost due to forum upgrade.

I tested it and found, that the Parking brake state is not saved when you quit from flight scene to  desktop. In other cases, quitting to the main menu and scene change, it saved the state and parking brake was engaged after returning to the craft. Is it possible, that you closed the game directly without quitting to the main menu or changing scene?

3 hours ago, maja said:

Second try. My first reply was lost due to forum upgrade.

I tested it and found, that the Parking brake state is not saved when you quit from flight scene to  desktop. In other cases, quitting to the main menu and scene change, it saved the state and parking brake was engaged after returning to the craft. Is it possible, that you closed the game directly without quitting to the main menu or changing scene?

possible.  I wasnt sure of exactly I had done, I was in the middle of a Twitch stream.  Ill go watvh the vod and see exactly I did, will get back to you

• 3 weeks later...

@maja

I had an odd situation today.  I had ParkingBrake enabled on a landed vessel on Minmus, then I took off and landed elsewhere.  Somehow it let me take off (was on the Minmus Flats), when I landed on a slope, it literally froze the vessel with one leg touching.

Do you think you could put in a check that if a vessel is flying, that it should be automatically disabled?

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.