[KSP 1.12.x] Parking Brake (0.4.4) - 2021-07-23

maja

25 minutes ago, linuxgurugamer said:

@maja

I had an odd situation today.  I had ParkingBrake enabled on a landed vessel on Minmus, then I took off and landed elsewhere.  Somehow it let me take off (was on the Minmus Flats), when I landed on a slope, it literally froze the vessel with one leg touching.

Do you think you could put in a check that if a vessel is flying, that it should be automatically disabled?

I'll look into it.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, münambulist said:

Is it normal for parking brake to cause a vessel to shudder rapidly once engaged? Is there anything I should be doing differently? Thanks!

How fast your vessel slides without parking brake? Is it on slope or flat ground?

Ah, neat. I hadn't been aware of this mod til just now. I've recently been using the USI ground tether in conjunction with a config hack to add it to all command modules. That's working pretty well for me, but this sounds like the same thing without adding in the USI tools mod, which I'm not using anything else from. Also avoids me needing to do the config hack. Sounds like an improvement for my use case. Anyone have any comment about comparison between the USI ground tether and this mod (other that the suggestion to avoid using both)?

Hmm. I also wonder about the viability of deleting the USI tools mod and adding this one in its place in an existing save. Guess I'll just have to try and see after making an extra save just in case that screws up.

2 hours ago, rmaine said:

Ah, neat. I hadn't been aware of this mod til just now. I've recently been using the USI ground tether in conjunction with a config hack to add it to all command modules. That's working pretty well for me, but this sounds like the same thing without adding in the USI tools mod, which I'm not using anything else from. Also avoids me needing to do the config hack. Sounds like an improvement for my use case. Anyone have any comment about comparison between the USI ground tether and this mod (other that the suggestion to avoid using both)?

Hmm. I also wonder about the viability of deleting the USI tools mod and adding this one in its place in an existing save. Guess I'll just have to try and see after making an extra save just in case that screws up.

Am I anyone too? :cool: 

Parking brake works on the same principle as ground tether, so you can use either one. If you are using USI tools only for tether, then you are safe to delete it.

1 hour ago, maja said:

Am I anyone too? :cool: 

Parking brake works on the same principle as ground tether, so you can use either one. If you are using USI tools only for tether, then you are safe to delete it.

You are a rather special anyone for current purposes :-) as you are in a good position to actually know instead of just speculate.

P.S. Unrelated, but in perusing the thread I see someone from a while back asking about external command seats. I've made it a practice to add a QBE to my rovers just because I can put a tether on it, even for rovers that always have a kerbal in the external command seat.

14 hours ago, rmaine said:

Unrelated, but in perusing the thread I see someone from a while back asking about external command seats. I've made it a practice to add a QBE to my rovers just because I can put a tether on it, even for rovers that always have a kerbal in the external command seat.

Added to Issues on github, so I at least look into it, if it's possible.

16 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

So does this mod work by tethering the craft to the ground or just stops the wheels from moving/sliding.

Well, it works with craft that don't even have wheels... or landing gear either.

6 minutes ago, chadgaskerman said:

So it wouldn't work when on top of a larger vessel?

Have to get Maja to answer that for sure (or just try it), but I suspect not because you do have to be "landed" and I doubt that would count.

21 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

So does this mod work by tethering the craft to the ground or just stops the wheels from moving/sliding.

It resets the craft position and rotation. It is meant for crafts with wheels, because they usualy stops on slopes, but it works for any landed craft. I don't want to check wheel count and it's handy when your munar lander misses the only flat surface in vicinity :)

21 hours ago, chadgaskerman said:

So it wouldn't work when on top of a larger vessel?

I don't know what you mean by this.

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Tacombel said:

@maja

It seems that my rovers released their parking brakes after updating.

Did your rovers had regular brake on? It is now connected. When you engage parking brake, then brake is switched on. If you switch brake off, then PB is switched off too.

1 hour ago, VoidSquid said:

All 0.4.x versions are marked to be compatible with KSP 1.11.1 only, no earlier versions, is that correct?

They are build against 1.11.1 binaries, but someone used one of my mods with older version of KSP (1.10? 1.11?) without a problem. There isn't a change in used libraries I'm aware of.

2 minutes ago, maja said:

Did your rovers had regular brake on? It is now connected. When you engage parking brake, then brake is switched on. If you switch brake off, then PB is switched off too.

I didn't explain myself. I switched to my moon base and the two rovers parked nearby, which had parking brake activated, started moving. I just checked again and they did not move. Perhaps the first time the brake was also activated? Don't know.

On 2/10/2021 at 11:45 AM, münambulist said:

Is it normal for parking brake to cause a vessel to shudder rapidly once engaged? Is there anything I should be doing differently? Thanks!

I just started playing again recently after a long time away, and on Eve my vessels keep slowly sliding.  So I installed this, and same as you when I engage parking break it causes my craft to start jumping around and shaking violently.  KSP 1.11.1, on MacOS.

7 hours ago, Markarian421 said:

I just started playing again recently after a long time away, and on Eve my vessels keep slowly sliding.  So I installed this, and same as you when I engage parking break it causes my craft to start jumping around and shaking violently.  KSP 1.11.1, on MacOS.

I tested it with a rover on Eve and no sliding nor shaking occured. I need more information about your vessels.

Edited by maja

The one I'm using now originally had 6 landing gear, although I've tried many combinations now.  With 12 it slides less, but still goes nuts when I turn on parking brake.  I do have some mods and I'm using a Near Future Spacecraft pod and Tweakscale on some of the landing legs (only 110%) -- tonight I'll see if I can make something stock and see if it does the same thing.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.