[KSP 1.12.x] Parking Brake (0.4.4) - 2021-07-23

maja

17 hours ago, maja said:

This mod is no longer needed in the KSP 1.12.x

Why?

Crafts still slide and very helpfully use the parking brake mod to remain still.

am i missing something new in 1.12 which i played for quite a while by now?

On 7/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Alexsys said:

Why?

Crafts still slide and very helpfully use the parking brake mod to remain still.

am i missing something new in 1.12 which i played for quite a while by now?

I tested it and there wasn't any sliding. Can you upload somewhere a craft, which in your game?

Edited by maja

• 2 weeks later...

This mod may no longer be needed in 1.12.x but it's still useful to me because it stops the vessel from sometimes sliding at less than 0 m/s. It sometimes happens that the vehicle will slide extremely slowly but the parking break stops it when the default breaks don't work. It also is very useful for ships that don't have breaks.

13 hours ago, beez1717 said:

This mod may no longer be needed in 1.12.x but it's still useful to me because it stops the vessel from sometimes sliding at less than 0 m/s. It sometimes happens that the vehicle will slide extremely slowly but the parking break stops it when the default breaks don't work. It also is very useful for ships that don't have breaks.

I can do a rebuild for the latest KSP version if it is requiered :)

• 1 month later...

Somewhat puzzled about automatic disengagement. I see a changelog entry about auto disengagement when a vehicle starts to fly. I suspect that is related, but I'm running into disengagement at inconvenient times where I certainly don't *INTEND* for the vehicle to be flying; indeed preventing that is part of why I'm using parking brake. I occasionally see the auto-disengagement on scene load. One time I jumped focus to my Gilly base only to see it leap into the air (a common problem on Gilly) while saying that the parking brake was disengaged. Fortunately, the base didn't leap too high or completely flip over; it managed to land intact and erect, at which time I reenabled the parking brake. Also on several occasions I've had rover parking brakes disable when the pilot left the external command seat. The auto-disengagement mostly isn't catastrophic, though it has the potential to be so; I've lost one re-supply ship to it, but the ship had delivered its supplies (and crew) and was just hanging around in case it might be useful for something else, so it wasn't a big loss.

BTW, I definitely am using parking brake in 1.12.2. For one case, I occasionally find myself with a rover that is trying to mine an ore on a slopes a bit steeper than the regular brakes will hold on. If I can briefly get the craft velocity low enough to set the parking brake, I can then mine successfully. I don't need parking brake as often in 1.12.2, but it's still useful. In 1.11 it was downright critical to the extent that I found base building without it to be game-breakingly painful.

• 10 months later...
On 9/6/2021 at 10:00 PM, rmaine said:

Somewhat puzzled about automatic disengagement. I see a changelog entry about auto disengagement when a vehicle starts to fly. I suspect that is related, but I'm running into disengagement at inconvenient times where I certainly don't *INTEND* for the vehicle to be flying; indeed preventing that is part of why I'm using parking brake. I occasionally see the auto-disengagement on scene load. One time I jumped focus to my Gilly base only to see it leap into the air (a common problem on Gilly) while saying that the parking brake was disengaged. Fortunately, the base didn't leap too high or completely flip over; it managed to land intact and erect, at which time I reenabled the parking brake. Also on several occasions I've had rover parking brakes disable when the pilot left the external command seat. The auto-disengagement mostly isn't catastrophic, though it has the potential to be so; I've lost one re-supply ship to it, but the ship had delivered its supplies (and crew) and was just hanging around in case it might be useful for something else, so it wasn't a big loss.

BTW, I definitely am using parking brake in 1.12.2. For one case, I occasionally find myself with a rover that is trying to mine an ore on a slopes a bit steeper than the regular brakes will hold on. If I can briefly get the craft velocity low enough to set the parking brake, I can then mine successfully. I don't need parking brake as often in 1.12.2, but it's still useful. In 1.11 it was downright critical to the extent that I found base building without it to be game-breakingly painful.

Sorry, I missed this.

Disengaging is by design, because it caused problems when someone started flying with the break on, but it can be made optional.

• 5 months later...

Is this supposed to activate automatically when brakes are applied or does it have to be manually selected from the command pod PAW?

I thought it was the former because I've never had a problem stopping on a slope before when using this mod, but just now my landed craft kept drifting down a slope until I manually clicked it in the PAW which I never had to do before.

Side note: As far as I can tell, it's the only action which is not assignable to an action group other than "Aim Camera Here" (which would be handy when you want to click on experiments but the KSP camera focus default is nowhere near your service bay). Is this intentional or an oversight?

Edited by KADC

Like rmaine's post a year ago, the parking brake disengaged when the scene loaded, presumably because some jostling registered as greater than the 0.3 m/s threshold this mod uses to register as stopped and landed. Would it be possible to keep the parking brake engaged on scene load to prevent this from happening, possibly tying it to the KSP brake function so when the brake ("B") is engaged Parking Brake is also engaged?  

On 12/30/2022 at 9:12 AM, KADC said:

Like rmaine's post a year ago, the parking brake disengaged when the scene loaded, presumably because some jostling registered as greater than the 0.3 m/s threshold this mod uses to register as stopped and landed. Would it be possible to keep the parking brake engaged on scene load to prevent this from happening, possibly tying it to the KSP brake function so when the brake ("B") is engaged Parking Brake is also engaged?  

That limit is 0.25 m/s. The parking brake is switched off when a vessel is flying. It can be that there is some jump during scene load and vessel has flying state for a short period of time. This was added, because people forget to dissengage the barke and started a flight.

On 12/30/2022 at 2:27 AM, KADC said:

Is this supposed to activate automatically when brakes are applied or does it have to be manually selected from the command pod PAW?

I thought it was the former because I've never had a problem stopping on a slope before when using this mod, but just now my landed craft kept drifting down a slope until I manually clicked it in the PAW which I never had to do before.

Side note: As far as I can tell, it's the only action which is not assignable to an action group other than "Aim Camera Here" (which would be handy when you want to click on experiments but the KSP camera focus default is nowhere near your service bay). Is this intentional or an oversight?

It needs to be manually selected. It sets brakes on and brakes sets it off when they are released, but it's not set on by brakes.

I think, that it wasn't assignable to action group from start. 

2 hours ago, maja said:

That limit is 0.25 m/s. The parking brake is switched off when a vessel is flying. It can be that there is some jump during scene load and vessel has flying state for a short period of time. This was added, because people forget to dissengage the barke and started a flight.

Yes, scene load caused my vessel to jump. Installing the WorldStabilizer mod stopped the scene load jumping which solved my problem. 

For anyone else experiencing scene-jump issues, though CKAN shows WorldStabilizer as only 1.8.99 compatible, I can confirm (as have others) that it works fine in 1.12.4.

• 5 months later...
On 8/14/2019 at 6:02 PM, Agustin said:

How do I enable it for the external command seat? I can´t do a single science with 1.7 arm because it detects movement on my rover that only has external command seat.

it should have it iirc...

But anyway, you can try copying this in a cfg, place anywhere in /gamedata :

@PART[seatExternalCmd]:HAS[!MODULE[ParkingBrakeModule]]:NEEDS[ParkingBrake]:FINAL
{
	MODULE
	{
		name = ParkingBrakeModule
	}
}

@maja Hi, thank you for this mod : could you say in 2 words how this is different in behaviour from the ground tether from USI ?

thank you :) 

Edited by kurgut

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.