[KSP 1.12.x] Parking Brake (0.4.4) - 2021-07-23

maja

17 hours ago, maja said:

This mod is no longer needed in the KSP 1.12.x

Why?

Crafts still slide and very helpfully use the parking brake mod to remain still.

am i missing something new in 1.12 which i played for quite a while by now?

Posted (edited)
On 7/9/2021 at 2:21 PM, Alexsys said:

Why?

Crafts still slide and very helpfully use the parking brake mod to remain still.

am i missing something new in 1.12 which i played for quite a while by now?

I tested it and there wasn't any sliding. Can you upload somewhere a craft, which in your game?

Edited by maja

• 2 weeks later...

This mod may no longer be needed in 1.12.x but it's still useful to me because it stops the vessel from sometimes sliding at less than 0 m/s. It sometimes happens that the vehicle will slide extremely slowly but the parking break stops it when the default breaks don't work. It also is very useful for ships that don't have breaks.

13 hours ago, beez1717 said:

This mod may no longer be needed in 1.12.x but it's still useful to me because it stops the vessel from sometimes sliding at less than 0 m/s. It sometimes happens that the vehicle will slide extremely slowly but the parking break stops it when the default breaks don't work. It also is very useful for ships that don't have breaks.

I can do a rebuild for the latest KSP version if it is requiered :)

• 1 month later...

Somewhat puzzled about automatic disengagement. I see a changelog entry about auto disengagement when a vehicle starts to fly. I suspect that is related, but I'm running into disengagement at inconvenient times where I certainly don't *INTEND* for the vehicle to be flying; indeed preventing that is part of why I'm using parking brake. I occasionally see the auto-disengagement on scene load. One time I jumped focus to my Gilly base only to see it leap into the air (a common problem on Gilly) while saying that the parking brake was disengaged. Fortunately, the base didn't leap too high or completely flip over; it managed to land intact and erect, at which time I reenabled the parking brake. Also on several occasions I've had rover parking brakes disable when the pilot left the external command seat. The auto-disengagement mostly isn't catastrophic, though it has the potential to be so; I've lost one re-supply ship to it, but the ship had delivered its supplies (and crew) and was just hanging around in case it might be useful for something else, so it wasn't a big loss.

BTW, I definitely am using parking brake in 1.12.2. For one case, I occasionally find myself with a rover that is trying to mine an ore on a slopes a bit steeper than the regular brakes will hold on. If I can briefly get the craft velocity low enough to set the parking brake, I can then mine successfully. I don't need parking brake as often in 1.12.2, but it's still useful. In 1.11 it was downright critical to the extent that I found base building without it to be game-breakingly painful.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.