(OUTDATED) How to land an orbital booster without quicksaves and deliver payload to orbit without quicksaves

JERONIMO

Landing a first stage booster is hard, but this guide will help you with it.

The picture below shows what can happen when there is an unsuccessful landing attempt.

dBdRsO1.png

Picture above show that during landing, the rocket can run out of fuel.

Zlp2tGK.jpg

This picture shows when the landing attempt failed. So the rocket crashes.

before we start. you need to know how to:

1. Get to sub orbital trajectory.
  2. Get to orbital trajectory.
  3. Know how to use fast vessel switch ( using " [ " and "]" ) and map switch.

ready? let's start!

here i'll leave a rocket.so you can download it :D .

https://kerbalx.com/Jeronimo/Dragco

(p.s. i'm too lazy to add pics.)

So now that we have an a craft. let's Begin!

Ok. when it's on the launch pad. check the staging.

after all stages checked (showed in the pictures below), you should launch the rocket.

When you reach the speeds of around 100 m/s. start turning from ~90° (degrees) to around 80-70°

QFDMyL5.png

hZEwP6t.png

Keep the  throttle at maximum throttle. Note, you need to be sure that you'r sub-orbital Apoapsis doesn't go beyond 110,000 Meters.

after you reach ~100,000 M above Kerbin . Put the throttle at 0 power.

gMHytmT.png

Switch to rocket mode view

Decouple the first and the second stage.

After you decoupled, press "[" or "]" to switch to the second stage.

fJBg26g.png

Put the throttle to the first line on the throttle-meter. Then when it reaches a safe enough distance ( 20 m above the first stage) put the throttle on full.

I4GmCXm.png

Fly up until you reach ~230,000 m above Kerbin or more (the reason behind this is that you will need as much time for the first stage). 

rpiR1Ib.png

Use fast switch (reminder "[" and "]") or map switch (click on the first stage, then click switch to) and switch to the first stage/orbital booster.

After you switched, make a retrograde maneuver node, and make it on the line with the island airport (or a little further, in case of what, you can add Delta-V (short Dv) ). Use RCS.

7slpqrZ.png

Start the maneuver burn at half the time shown. Ex. if it's showing 18s. burn at T - 9s.

c8IJnBd.png

After the maneuver is finished, turn the orbital booster prograde. When finished turning. open the A.I.R.B.R.A.K.E.S by pressing the brake button (or "B").

When the rocket is at 70,000m above Kerbin, adjust the landing position so the end of the trajectory will be a little in front of the space center (where the Airport island is located or the water near the space center) 

xcUIjHZ.png

We do several landing burns to slow down the rocket, after what we will wait until it's time to do the "suicide burn" which slows down the rocket to landing point.

This part isn't going to have a lot of pictures, eyeballing will help ( in case eyeballing isn't gonna help, use landing lights, so you can see how close you are to landing, preferred to use MK1 landing lights).

Next, try to eyeball the landing, here i can't give any advice except try to keep the throttle down no more than half of the throttle, so right before landing, you could put as much throttle needed to bring the rocket to full stop.

Also, important, do not turn of RCS at any point in the flight after turning it on.

JSc9jXD.jpg

When you land, do not turn off the RCS, until you sure that the rocket is stands stable.

Result you might get.

QqF1b5I.jpg

Now, when we finished landing the first stage, we go to the map, and using the map switch, we switch to the second stage.

Next, we turn on the throttle on and get the second stage to orbit.

KOpBukk.png

Congratulations! You landed the first stage back to Kerbin, and got the Second stage into a Kerbin orbit without quicksaving.

Special thanks to one and only moderator :

@Vanamonde

Edited by JERONIMO
Outdated thread

• 1 month later...
8 hours ago, Vanamonde said:

The thread has been pruned a bit.

You basically removed the only answer to this post :D

On the bright site, this brought this tutorial to my attention and I like it very much, good work @JERONIMO :)

Usually, booster landings are done with the help of mods but there are plenty of people out there who cannot run mods or just don't want any, so this will be very helpful :)

On ‎1‎/‎7‎/‎2019 at 9:54 PM, Vanamonde said:

The thread has been pruned a bit. Please keep in mind that not everyone on the forum grew up speaking English, and there's no need to make them feel bad about it. 

now you are making me confused using hard words like pruned

• 2 months later...
On 1/15/2019 at 8:31 PM, Vanamonde said:

And I'll prune/trim more if the thread doesn't get back on-topic.  :mad:

You are welcomed, fixed, redone, any notes will be taken and might be fixend (if not destroying the meaning of the thread)

On 1/8/2019 at 6:08 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

You basically removed the only answer to this post :D

On the bright site, this brought this tutorial to my attention and I like it very much, good work @JERONIMO :)

Usually, booster landings are done with the help of mods but there are plenty of people out there who cannot run mods or just don't want any, so this will be very helpful :)

so sorry, needed to be redone.

1 minute ago, Vanamonde said:

Your posts were fine. :)

sorry took to long to fix, was lazy and getting to a different country, have a good night/day! (it's 12:00 pm were i live)

Just now, James Kerman said:

I think it's a job well done - Great work. I am too scared to try landing without parachutes! 

thanks, good night/day

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.