ANY Symmetry Number Using a Stock Glitch

Kronus_Aerospace

The Symmetry Glitch

Description:

In this topic I will explain a method for multiplying symmetry numbers that allows you to use a practically infinite range of symmetry numbers. The symmetry glitch involves how the game handles symmetry numbers, say you place a part with symmetry, such boosters on a rocket with 4 way symmetry, and you try to attach fins to those boosters with 2 way symmetry, upon doing so the game will automatically jump the symmetry number up to 4. This phenomenon is utilized in the glitch. By placing daughter parts on a parent part with symmetry, and then placing that parent part on a grand parent part with symmetry, the daughter parts are placed with multiple layers of symmetry, often creating far more than the maximum of 8 normally allowed. If you try to place a new part on the daughter parts, the symmetry number will jump up to however many daughter parts there are. This new part can then be placed on the grandparent part , and the abnormally high symmetry value will remain.(or any other part as long as it too is not attached with symmetry, as that will cause the symmetry number to jump to that value)

From this information you can imagine the potential range of symmetry numbers: 3 x 6 = 18,  8 x 8 =64, 6 x 8 = 48, etc.

Pressing the symmetry number will reset it back to 1 regardless of whatever symmetry value you currently have. However ctrl+x still reduces the symmetry number by 1. Meaning, if you started with 64 way symmetry you could press ctrl+x to get a symmetry value of 63, or 62, 61, 60, etc, all the way down until you get to 8. With the inclusion of a great-grandparent part you could even stack this effect on top of itself, and you can keep going from there. Though be warned, it's easy to crash your game by accidentally going way to high, taking this effect above symmetry numbers of 1000 is not recommended.

This is a great tool for anyone who doesn't want to use too many building mods. Though for all it's greatness, you still can't do 5 or 7 way symmetry with it.  :P

Procedure:

Here I will give a step by step procedure for those who are still having trouble. I will demonstrate how to do 64 way symmetry, although the procedure is the same for any symmetry number

-1: Start with a grand parent part, this part will have all of the other parts attached to. This can be anything as long is you can radially attach parts to it, though I recommend that it be something large. You could also simply use the body of whatever craft you may be using this glitch on for this purpose.

AZPJWtT.jpg

-2: Attach a parent part anywhere on the grandparent part. It doesn't really matter where as long as you only attach a single part. this part can be anything as long as you can radially attach parts to it, but I personally prefer to use Oscar tanks.

OJhhzRt.jpg

-3: Attach a daughter part to the parent part with 8 way symmetry. this part can be anything as long as you can radially attach parts to it. Here again I prefer to use more Oscar Tanks.

Zdwl7Sk.jpg

-4: Detach the parent part and reattach it to the grandparent part with 8 way symmetry. This will result in a total of 64 of the daughter parts

GlaUFvC.jpg

-5: Attach a part to the daughter part, it could be anything but in this instance it is yet another Oscar Tank. It should be noted that you don't actually have to place this new part, as long as you mouse over the daughter parts the glitch will trigger.

NWXi9tM.jpg

-6: Now place this new part on to the grandparent part, be careful not to mouse over the parent part or any other part on the craft that is placed with symmetry, as described above that will revert the glitch. At this point you can remove the parent and daughter parts, as they have served their purpose.

ZFITLlq.jpg

And Voila! You have a part attached with 64 way symmetry, as described above you can reduce the symmetry value in increments of 1 to whatever you'd like. You can also attach any other parts and they will attach correctly with no further glitchy-ness. The game can even handle things like decouplers and engines attached this way.

JgQ7sau.jpg

rAL3SiH.jpg

ASK QUESTIONS!

If you are need of any further help or have other questions feel free to ask. This glitch can be done and used in various different ways, and I find it to be quite useful. I discovered this glitch around a year ago by accident and have been using it frequently ever since. It can be quite useful when making things like base 10 mechanisms or large circular designs. Have fun poking the kraken with this great building tool!

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

Nice. I think I happened upon this recently but didn't really understand *how* that happened.

BTW, for those who aren't stock purists, the easy way to obtain up to 20x symmetry (and surface-attach anything, and offset parts without limits and snap to more angles than stock allows) is EEX.

Crafts created with this mod still count as stock (don't require the mod to import and use the .craft files) but obviously if you detach something that's not normally surface-attachable you won't attach it again.

5 hours ago, Sharpy said:

BTW, for those who aren't stock purists, the easy way to obtain up to 20x symmetry (and surface-attach anything, and offset parts without limits and snap to more angles than stock allows) is EEX.

The settings window lets you go up to 99x symmetry, at least, if not more.

There's a bug report 19579 about this, languishing on the tracker.   I guess we could 'confirm' it on the tracker by linking here, and let anybody confused about it who finds the tracker first, get a clear explanation.

But do we want a fix?  That is, is the glitch more fun or frustrating ?  Anybody who wants higher symmetry can use EEX.

9 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

it's super fun to play around with.

That might be the answer.  If just one step of the glitch doesn't tend to crash, then anyone stumbling upon it would have no more than 64× symmetry, and just place the part with what they really wanted, and then it does not seem likely that the glitch would cause trouble.

3 hours ago, OHara said:

There's a bug report 19579 about this, languishing on the tracker.   I guess we could 'confirm' it on the tracker by linking here, and let anybody confused about it who finds the tracker first, get a clear explanation.

But do we want a fix?  That is, is the glitch more fun or frustrating ?  

OH NO! This glitch is almost impossible to do unintentionally, and the game crashing from having too many parts is hardly unique to the glitch, it's not causing instability in any way. The game handles higher symmetry numbers just fine. Besides I use this glitch so much you wouldn't believe it's been an invaluable tool for me. The last thing I want is to see it patched.

Edited by Kronus_Aerospace

2 hours ago, Kronus_Aerospace said:

OH NO! This glitch is almost impossible to do unintentionally, and the game crashing from having too many parts is hardly unique to the glitch, it's not causing instability in any way. The game handles higher symmetry numbers just fine. Besides I use this glitch so much you wouldn't believe it's been an invaluable tool for me. The last thing I want is to see it patched.

One player's bug is another's feature...:P

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.