A "KSP Loading..." Preview: New Idle Animations

SQUAD

3 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I wouldn't mind seeing some of the VAB/SPH animations applied to kerbals that are idle on EVA near a ground base/craft (particularly the ones using tools).

Maybe even animations dependent on what the Engineer's Report says?

If there is no control antenna to trasmit data from, for example.

That's unexpected... and very nice!  Great to see our intrepid spacefarers being a little more animated.

6 hours ago, jagfour said:

loose the heart hold salute

Nah, it is fine for me (and I prefer my Kerbalverse to be non-militarised).  Beside, I know that Kerbal anatomy is a debated subject, but so far as I can make out,  that is where they keep their orberecs. 

21 hours ago, Tyko said:

I'd love to see them do the little low gravity two-foot hop that Apollo astronauts used on the moon. Be fun to see Kerbals hopping around and they''d move faster.

I've actually found they can't run on the mun due to the low gravity. (hack gravity does allow them to run tho) 

so small hops would be a cool way to have them still move faster when you hold shift.

I think it'd be nifty if basic gestures are random (moving the helmet, etc.), but the salute is an actual key press.  As a semi role player, it would be enjoyable to salute the base, flag, compatriots before flying off into the unknown.

It would be even cooler if the key press would make all grounded and EVA'd kerbals salute in unison.  Imagine taking off, pressing salute, and seeing all the little kerbals beneath you saluting as you fly away.

1 hour ago, tater said:

Will 1.6 actually launch (you know, by double-clicking the app) on the Mac, or does it require a work-around to start the game, as it does now?

That seems like a pretty big bug, is it on the tracker? This is the first mention of it I've seen though as a non-Mac user I could easily have missed it.

Unexpected for sure - KSP would be a dry physics-lite simulator, without the Kerbal characters putting life into it. Thanks Squad!

Consider some variations for the placement of VAB scene Kerbals. The fixed position ones have been rooted to the same spot, lined up too-perfectly, for years now ;)   

Ignorance is bliss. So I will enlighten you.

Where did Mexico's unique hand gesture during their anthem originate?

This is called “saludo a la bandera” (salute the flag) and this gesture is the way the Mexicans give respects to the Mexican Flag and is stipulated by the Mexican laws during the Flag ceremony in official and sports events where the Flag is involved.

Citing the law related to the use of the Mexican Flag.

ARTÍCULO 14.- El saludo civil a la Bandera Nacional se hará en posición de firme, colocando la mano derecha extendida sobre el pecho, con la palma hacia abajo, a la altura del corazón. Los varones saludarán, además con la cabeza descubierta. El Presidente de la República, como Jefe Supremo de las fuerzas armadas, la saludará militarmente.

The civil salute to the Mexican Flag will be done in a straight position, putting the right hand extended over the breast, with the palm facing down to where the heart is located. The male people will salute the flag with the head uncovered.

So KSP. Should political statements be in this game? How careful were you in getting the localisation upgrade correct?

I'm still not sure why the salute is a big deal.  I'm from America and have no problem with a Mexican company putting a Mexican salute in the game.  Nothing wrong with a little national pride. 

Heck.  In the U.S., we put our hand over our heart too when the anthem is playing.

1 hour ago, jagfour said:

Should political statements be in this game?

How exactly is it a political statement anyway?

Edited by klgraham1013

Shall we allow the [snip - forbidden word for the German army in the second world war] salute if salutes are allowed?

I know your country uses the heart hold or whatever you call it. I been following NASCAR for the last 10 years. Politics should be kept out of this game. There are other game forums where the forum rules themselves state that politics should not be discussed. Let alone be introduced into the game. A salute is a political statement.

I say again. Should we have the [snip] salute if salutes are allowed?

KSP. Watch your gestures also. A positive gesture in one country, means something completely different in another. 

Edited by Deddly
Please don't circumvent the forbidden words list. In this case helps avoid our forum getting indexed in search engines for the wrong reasons

1 minute ago, jagfour said:

A salute is a political statement.

20 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

How exactly is it a political statement anyway?

...and please don't use slippery slope arguments.  What, exactly, is the Kerbal salute saying politically?  

I have a sneaky suspicion this conversation will go no where.

Never before did I need something so much and didn't realize it!! These idle animations will be a great addition!! I don't mind the Mexican Salute...Heck, I would do that myself!!!

1 hour ago, jagfour said:

KSP. Watch your gestures also. A positive gesture in one country, means something completely different in another. 

Now this, I can agree with..But no need to examine the culture of each and every country and community... just countries speaking italian, brazil, chinese , espanol, japanese, french, russian and deutsch..or countries that have the biggest market?

And if someone doesn't like the content, they could have the option of switching off the animations?

According to 'Family Guy' we live in a 'post-joke' era...

Edited by Nivee~

3 hours ago, jagfour said:

So I will enlighten you.

Aaand you lost me. It's kinda hard to hear you from all the way up on that pedestal.

There are no politics in KSP other than what you wish to confer it. What makes you think this is a flag salute? It looks like a fist to the chest. They could be saluting the bravery of fellow kerbals boarding another one of Bill's contraptions. Or showing their respects for dear departed kerbals after the test. Or they're instinctively reaching for the chest pocket that usually holds their favourite snack, because being stuck in a space suit makes everyone peckish. They may even just be pressing the 'extra oxygen' button for a moment to fight a bit of fatigue. Literally anything would've come to mind to me before anything political.

P.S.: since the kerbals don't take off their helmets, they're clearly not doing the flag salute... or they would be violating the law. &)

Edited by swjr-swis
smartS

What salute?

I see a kerbal adjusting its suit controls or tightening a strap.  These appear to be random movements that happen when a kerbal is left standing for a while.  People move around, fidget, etc.  I've never seen a person just start randomly saluting.

And even if it is a salute, I've never seen a national flag in the game, unless it was added by a player.  If these little green fictional creatures wish to render respect for the fictional flag of a fictional space program/company/country/planet/whatever, then why is that any sort of problem?

It probably is a salute.  The heels of their feet come together as the hand raises over the chest.  They also appear to stand straighter. 

Let's not pretend the animation is something else as a defense.  The defense is that there's nothing wrong with it in the first place.

Edited by klgraham1013

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.