A "KSP Loading..." Preview: New Idle Animations

SQUAD

21 hours ago, jagfour said:

Shall we allow the [snip - forbidden word for the German army in the second world war] salute if salutes are allowed?

I know your country uses the heart hold or whatever you call it. I been following NASCAR for the last 10 years. Politics should be kept out of this game. There are other game forums where the forum rules themselves state that politics should not be discussed. Let alone be introduced into the game. A salute is a political statement.

I say again. Should we have the [snip] salute if salutes are allowed?

KSP. Watch your gestures also. A positive gesture in one country, means something completely different in another. 

21 hours ago, jagfour said:

Edited 20 hours ago by Deddly
Please don't circumvent the forbidden words list. In this case helps avoid our forum getting indexed in search engines for the wrong reasons

I think KSP have indirectly confirmed that political statements cannot be made in this forum. I don't expect them too be made in the wonderful game they have given us either.

On another note, and I have seen this in other forums, the 'clique society'. The 'noob' (not likely aged 57 with 26 years military service under my belt) comes into a forum with their opinion. You will then see those who love the sound of their own keyboard come in with their own and only correct opinion, dissing the 'noobs' own opinion. You will have to get out of bed a little earlier to get your oh so great opinions past me keyboard sound lovers.

My opinion about the salute has been proved correct beyond all reasonable doubt, and I expect KSP to remove it.

There has been some very funny suggestions for mannerisms a Kerbal could have in this thread, and KSP could take the mannerism idea further by introducing mannerisms for certain situations. 

2 hours ago, jagfour said:

My opinion about the salute has been proved correct beyond all reasonable doubt, and I expect KSP to remove it

Weird. I'm not convinced. That exact same "those that shall not be named" argument could be used to say flags themselves should not be in the game. They're very political. Or space agencies. They've been historically affected by politics a LOT.

I guess in my mind patriotism <> politics and just because some bad people did something does not make something similar to that thing bad.

1 hour ago, cfds said:

Was there any reason in the game to ever send a Kerbal on EVA and let it stand idle?

Well yeah. So you won't have to go back and EVA him or her again to plant a new flag to complete the 847th "plant a flag" contract.

3 hours ago, jagfour said:

My opinion about the salute has been proved correct beyond all reasonable doubt

Really?  That's great!  You should tell us about it!

3 hours ago, jagfour said:

aged 57 with 26 years military service under my belt

Not sure if that has anything to do with you being correct, but thanks for you're service! 

Edited by klgraham1013

5 hours ago, jagfour said:

My opinion about the salute has been proved correct beyond all reasonable doubt, and I expect KSP to remove it.

Why? 

What precisely is wrong with little fictional creatures saluting a fictional flag on a fictional moon orbiting a fictional planet in a fictional solar system, and how does that make any political statement?

8 hours ago, jagfour said:

On another note, and I have seen this in other forums, the 'clique society'. The 'noob' (not likely aged 57 with 26 years military service under my belt) comes into a forum with their opinion.

What branch? Cool to see folks from every walk of life getting into this game. Still, most of KSP development happens in Mexico and I don't mind them putting a wink in there about it, personally. I mean most of the parts of the game are tributes to spaceflight in the United States. 

their own and only correct opinion

Literally one phrase apart. Oh the irony. :D

Someone voiced an opinion; some others chimed in and voiced their own. It's not a clique, it's not a conspiracy, it's the human condition. Welcome to the phenomenon of a forum:

b : a public meeting place for open discussion

c : a medium (such as a newspaper or online service) of open discussion or expression of ideas

P.S.: a spoiler about action and reaction.

Spoiler

Stomping into a place calling the natives ignorant and announcing they're going to be enlightened is a sure-fire way of getting (sometimes organized) opposition. It's pretty much the nutshell summary of at least half the wars in recorded history. That accumulated life experience and military service must've enlightened you to this already, yes?

I invite you to lower that guard and settle in and play; we're all here for the love of KSP. You'll find this particular sandbox to be rather untypically non-belligerent, as Internet forums go. You may even find politics are not around every corner, slight of word, or gesture. It's really just about having fun in a game about space-faring green creatures.

1 hour ago, Vanamonde said:

I am told that Squad is considering the concerns raised here, so let's please leave it at that. 

That's good, but they do have a community manager who could drop in and say that if they wanted.  I would ask that @SQUAD not overreact from the opinion of a sole individual.  Imagine if they banned salutes during the national anthem at sporting events.  Let's keep our heads here.

You've been waiting for hours on the surface of the Mun.

Jeb is bored. He is no longer idling. He is just standing there. Waiting.

You blink. You nearly miss it. For a split second, you see it.

Spoiler

9nrveqauwk121.jpg

And then just as quickly as it started, it was all over. You log on to the KSP subreddit and KSP Forums and check your sanity. No one believes you.

Edited by GregroxMun

9 hours ago, GregroxMun said:

You've been waiting for hours on the surface of the Mun.

Jeb is bored. He is no longer idling. He is just standing there. Waiting.

You blink. You nearly miss it. For a split second, you see it.

Hide contents

9nrveqauwk121.jpg

And then just as quickly as it started, it was all over. You log on to the KSP subreddit and KSP Forums and check your sanity. No one believes you.o 

Only a matter of time till modders find out how to make Kerbals dab. 

And Fortnite Default dance Turks dance from Scrubs

Edited by GrandProtectorDark

So can we use this thread to suggest more animations? So far we have “the Dab” and I’d also like to suggest a Tarzan-esque chest beating. 

As far as the salute debate goes, how do we know it’s a salute? It could mean anything, like a wave or a thumbs up. Repeat it a few times and it’s something else. 

4 minutes ago, StrandedonEarth said:

So can we use this thread to suggest more animations?

If we are doing that I'd like to suggest them standing on one foot trying to shake one of their boots, as if something was stuck in it.

I'm liking the new animations and they've got the potential to make screenshots that include multiple kerbals look more intersting, but need to time it well to catch more than one animating. Actually I can see quite a few of them turning up in stories in the Fan Works section, especially the panicked glove brushing one. Hopefully in a future update there will be a couple more added for variety, even if they're just simple turn head to look around/look at ground type anims.

Regarding an animation for collect sample, that always struck me something that should be there but was missing, even after a few years of playing I half expect something to happen visually when I click on it. A quick bend and scoop with hand anim shouldn't last more than 1.5 seconds, so it wouldn't be a significant delay in completing the action.

If we are making suggestions for future animations, then here's a few.

• Head turn (a quick look to the side, probably a separate animation for each direction).
  • Look down and scuff ground with boot.
  • Adjust a control on the front of the suit.
  • Sneeze.
  • Slap side of helmet as if "fixing" it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.