[WIP] [UNRELEASED] REFUSE: REalistic FUels SimpliEd

Someone2018

Something which is in early development, and thus not even versioned yet.

It essentially patches a very limited set of realistic fuels into the stock game. It's scaled to the Real Solar System.

Please see readme at: https://github.com/madman2003/REFUSE

If you are curious about this, please let me know what you think of it. Can be from a gameplay perspective, or realism perspective or a "code" readability perspective.

Edited by Someone2018

Because I'm a beta-tester-like-to-bork guy, I will give it a go - after backing up the save.

btw removing SMURFF and adding REFUSE - I'm curious because many part packs have this smurffexclude tags - or even special SMURFF patches like BDB.
So let's see how it goes now.

Edited by Gordon Dry

2 hours ago, Gordon Dry said:

Because I'm a beta-tester-like-to-bork guy, I will give it a go - after backing up the save.

btw removing SMURFF and adding REFUSE - I'm curious because many part packs have this smurffexclude tags - or even special SMURFF patches like BDB.
So let's see how it goes now.

I will wait for the buildings to be on fire, lol

The scaling ideas are not that different, so there might be some super overpowered engine now.

I only excluded the NearFutureSomething launch abort engines.

I wasn't aware that it was a common thing to have high TWR engines in stock game.

Please be aware I haven't even looked into the ISRU stuff, so you won't be able to create any of the fuels after launch. This is why I referenced the readme, which has the latest info.

So, i just fiddled a little bit in sandbox ... many mods/part packs use other stuff than "just" B9PartSwitch. Could be IFS, could be FS.

For example, Bluedog DB - tanks got stock fuels.

This is the point I stopped fiddling - when even BDB does not work, then I should stop.

btw BDB does use B9PartSwitch ...

27 minutes ago, Gordon Dry said:

So, i just fiddled a little bit in sandbox ... many mods/part packs use other stuff than "just" B9PartSwitch. Could be IFS, could be FS.

For example, Bluedog DB - tanks got stock fuels.

This is the point I stopped fiddling - when even BDB does not work, then I should stop.

btw BDB does use B9PartSwitch ...

I'll see if there is a smarter way to deal with B9 tank configs, than adding all their names as they are found. FYI the BDB ones are probably not even working in SMURFF.

I'm aware of IFS, what is FS? (i.e. have a link?)

FS = Firespitter, what is just compatible to IFS as-is.
So, parts that are patched for FS, the patches can be renamed to be IFS and it just works.

Like this patch:

Spoiler

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FStextureSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarTextureSwitch
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FStextureSwitch2]
	{
		@name = InterstellarTextureSwitch2
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FSmeshSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FSmeshSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarMeshSwitch
	}
}

@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]]:NEEDS[InterstellarFuelSwitch]:BEFORE[InterstellarFuelSwitch]
{
	@MODULE[FSfuelSwitch]
	{
		@name = InterstellarFuelSwitch
	}
}

Could it be that this kind of MechJeb errors is triggered by the new fuels somehow?
(I never have seen this specific issue before)

MechJeb module MechJebModuleStagingController threw an exception in OnUpdate: System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStagingController.HasActiveOrIdleEngineOrTankDescendant (.Part p, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 tankResources, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 activeModuleEngines) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStagingController.InverseStageDecouplesActiveOrIdleEngineOrTank (Int32 inverseStage, .Vessel v, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 tankResources, System.Collections.Generic.List`1 activeModuleEngines) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebModuleStagingController.OnUpdate () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at MuMech.MechJebCore.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

(Filename: C:/buildslave/unity/build/artifacts/generated/common/runtime/DebugBindings.gen.cpp Line: 51)

@sarbian @Jim DiGriz

(This also could be the reason for my latest issue, the vessel slowly "sinks" downwards into the launch clamp on launchpad.)

On 11/27/2018 at 12:11 PM, Someone2018 said:

Something which is in early development, and thus not even versioned yet.

It essentially patches a very limited set of realistic fuels into the stock game. It's scaled to the Real Solar System.

Please see readme at: https://github.com/madman2003/REFUSE

If you are curious about this, please let me know what you think of it. Can be from a gameplay perspective, or realism perspective or a "code" readability perspective.

Interesting idea, I've thought about doiing something like this myself.
What fuels are you planning to use?

1 hour ago, Nightside said:

Interesting idea, I've thought about doiing something like this myself.
What fuels are you planning to use?

RP-1/Kerosene, liquid hydrogen now for fuel, only liquid oxygen for oxidizer

Liquid methane is an interesting one as the third dominant fuel class if there are actually mods/engines out there

And hydrogen peroxide as monopropellant, because hydrazine is too toxic for my taste :-P

I try to keep the readme up-to-date, which is why I point to it

Edited by Someone2018

• 1 year later...

@Someone2018 are you still there?

Could you or @anybody @Nightside* tell me how to tinker the patches to tune them down for stock solar system?

• * I ping you because you also posted above :wink: and perhaps™ you are more familiar with REFUSE now

On the Github repo it says:

• REFUSE is aimed at usage in conjunction with Real Solar System (or alternative) that has an low orbit velocity of 7800 m/s.
  • It sits on a midpoint inbetween:
    • SMURFF: scaling with stock fuels
    • RealFuels: a very large number of fuels, including engine re-ignition and throttle limits

For SMURFF I can easily create patches to tune it up for SigDim rescales or planet packs.
(check GameData\zFinal\zzz_SMURFF.cfg in my linked archive in the signature)

But how can I tune down REFUSE for stock or better, have patches that also can recognize SimDim values or planet packs?

Which 2 or 3 variables I need to tinker with?

I'm actually working on this:
https://github.com/Gordon-Dry/REFUSE/tree/some-fixes-and-MethaLOx-additions

Edited by Gordon Dry

^ I guess I made it, please may someone test my branch on stock and on rescaled planet packs as well.

Edit:

Well, now "everything else" is finally okay, but now the ratio of the tank contents does not match anymore...

On hold.

Edited by Gordon Dry

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.