[WIP] Kerbal Stories and Shouts (KerbalSNS) - Giving more personality to your Kerbals through random events

johnkeale

Glad to see you back! SNS is one of my favorite work-in-progress mods. It is one of those things that I might never have thought of, but once I heard of the concept, it seems so essential to an immersive and living Kerbin, just like Chatterer.

Although custom profile pictures in the shouts would be pretty neat, I feel like it would be really hard to design and implement enough variations to keep them from being repetitive. Chirper in Cities: Skylines doesn't use profile pictures for this reason, IIRC.

You could get around it with some kind of random variation of different variables like hairstyle, skin tone, jewelry, and clothing, but that might get players thinking about how their kerbals don't have any of those variations. Alternatively, you could have it just select randomly from the different flags people have installed, but I don't much like that solution either.

On 2/3/2019 at 1:26 PM, theonegalen said:

Glad to see you back! SNS is one of my favorite work-in-progress mods. It is one of those things that I might never have thought of, but once I heard of the concept, it seems so essential to an immersive and living Kerbin, just like Chatterer.

Thanks! The idea was originally ensou04's, and just like you I loved the idea as well. I feel that once this is finished, it will make Kerbin feel more 'alive', as well as give your Kerbonauts their own personalities.

Although custom profile pictures in the shouts would be pretty neat, I feel like it would be really hard to design and implement enough variations to keep them from being repetitive.

Yeah, that's what I thought so too. This would be really cool from the perspective of the player, but on the technical side, it seems really difficult.

You could get around it with some kind of random variation of different variables like hairstyle, skin tone, jewelry, and clothing, but that might get players thinking about how their kerbals don't have any of those variations.

This is a good idea. But as you said, seems a little too complex for what I want. I'll take note of the variations you suggested though, might be useful somewhere sometime. For example, I made it so that lay kerbals (normal citizens of Kerbin) and the player's own crew themselves post on Kerbshsouts. Your idea might not be applicable for the crew, but might be applicable for the lay kerbals. But yeah, seems difficult so I'll just note it.

Chirper in Cities: Skylines doesn't use profile pictures for this reason, IIRC.

I actually didn't know that. Maybe I should look more into Chirper. I don't play Cities Skylines, but I have a friend that does. Maybe I should ask for some details from them. For now though, I guess I'll just use a default picture. I'll just use a different one depending on the gender. Oh, and maybe a different design for the player's crew? It seems a good idea to vary the profile picture per the poster type. Hmm I'll take note of that.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:43 AM, Benjamin Kerman said:

You could maybe do some image editing, create a new image and try to implement a github-like default image generator…

On 2/4/2019 at 2:48 AM, DeltaDizzy said:

Oh wow, that looks interesting! Maybe I could use that somewhere too.

For the Kerbshout logo, this is the concept that I had in mind, but as you can see, it's very basic and very simple and very rough.

Spoiler

LtQORyX.png

Maybe someone else has better ideas? :D

On 2/7/2019 at 4:37 PM, Benjamin Kerman said:

Honestly, I think the toolbar icon is fine! 

Sorry, perhaps you were talking about the Kerbshouts Logo? Or are you really talking about the toolbar icon? I was actually thinking of changing it too, but as you said, it seems okay as it is right now. It's short and succinct, and perfectly convey the mod.

• 1 month later...

Ugh, sorry it's taking so long guys. :(

I don't really want to say this because it sounds like an excuse, but my work's getting really tough lately, and it seems like it's gonna get tougher in the coming months. (There are other reasons too actually) Nevertheless, I try to progress with coding as much as I can. If you are curious with the progress of the mod, you can just check the github repo, though I'm not making any significant progress either.

Cheers!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi guys!

So I've been testing the game event triggered shouts for a while now, apologies for taking so long. Anyway, I realized that I've only been testing in Career mode. Since the shouts are tied to the reputation, it didn't come to mind to test it in Sandbox and Science modes until now.

So here's my question, if there is no reputation, how do you think the shouts should be displayed? 

In Career mode, a large percent of the shouts will depend on your rep. For example, if you have around 400 rep, a large percent of the shouts will praise your space program, and will express excitedness for whatever you do. There will also be shouts when you do something in-game, e.g. flag planting, kerbal hiring etc. Most of these shout will sound positive for high reputation, and negative for low reputation.

But in Sandbox or Science mode, there is no reputation, so these shouts just get displayed randomly. Should I disable reputation related shouts entirely? Display them randomly? Assume high reputation and display as if the user has high reputation? Something else?

Any thoughts? Especially to @ensou04?

Cheers!!

On 7/24/2019 at 10:25 AM, johnkeale said:

Hi guys!

So I've been testing the game event triggered shouts for a while now, apologies for taking so long. Anyway, I realized that I've only been testing in Career mode. Since the shouts are tied to the reputation, it didn't come to mind to test it in Sandbox and Science modes until now.

So here's my question, if there is no reputation, how do you think the shouts should be displayed? 

In Career mode, a large percent of the shouts will depend on your rep. For example, if you have around 400 rep, a large percent of the shouts will praise your space program, and will express excitedness for whatever you do. There will also be shouts when you do something in-game, e.g. flag planting, kerbal hiring etc. Most of these shout will sound positive for high reputation, and negative for low reputation.

But in Sandbox or Science mode, there is no reputation, so these shouts just get displayed randomly. Should I disable reputation related shouts entirely? Display them randomly? Assume high reputation and display as if the user has high reputation? Something else?

Any thoughts? Especially to @ensou04?

Cheers!!

How about tiying them to the stats of the save?

Im saying If the saves has more kerbals killed than aircrafts in orbit the reports should be if you had low rep in career mode,if the case is the other way around the reports should be positive

On 7/26/2019 at 4:50 AM, KerbolExplorer said:

Im saying If the saves has more kerbals killed than aircrafts in orbit the reports should be if you had low rep in career mode,if the case is the other way around the reports should be positive

That's a good idea! Thanks! 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.