The_Cat_In_Space

Automatically changing :) to emoji

Hi! I've been on this forum for a long time, and I've recently found it annoying how whenever I type in  : )  (I've put a space in there so it doesn't change), it automatically changes to :). This is really annoying, as some times I just wanna express with the text, and not with the forum emojis. Maybe an option could be implemented like 'Automatically turn text to emojis' enable/disable or on/off.

Have a happy holidays, TCIS

: )

• Like 2

What's worse is when you are typing B ) for a list of things, and it turns it into B).

But then again, I hate waiting for the emoji screen to load up, so I'd almost rather have the shortcuts.   So I dunno.  

Edit: Of course, it doesn't do it this time.  But you get my point. 

Edited by Gargamel
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gargamel said:

What's worse is when you are typing B ) for a list of things, and it turns it into B).

But then again, I hate waiting for the emoji screen to load up, so I'd almost rather have the shortcuts.   So I dunno.  

Edit: Of course, it doesn't do it this time.  But you get my point. 

I get your point :) damnit!  : )

• Like 1

Or you can play games by, for example, typing the ) and a space first, then hitting back-arrow a couple of times and typing the : second, then going back to the end.  Like this:

:)

See?  :)

Yes, that's kind of inconvenient if you just wanted to type a : and a ) and get on with life.  On the other hand... if you made it so that it didn't auto-emojify it, then that would become hugely inconvenient to the hordes of us who want to use the emoji icons.

So it comes down to a question of:  is it better to cater to the convenience of the emoji-users, or to the emoji-shunners?

The emoji have been such a constant feature of the forums for so many years, with such ubiquitous usage by so many people, that I think if you tinkered with this you'd inconvenience a lot more people than you'd convenience.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Snark said:

Or you can play games by, for example, typing the ) and a space first, then hitting back-arrow a couple of times and typing the : second, then going back to the end.  Like this:

:)

See?  :)

Yes, that's kind of inconvenient if you just wanted to type a : and a ) and get on with life.  On the other hand... if you made it so that it didn't auto-emojify it, then that would become hugely inconvenient to the hordes of us who want to use the emoji icons.

So it comes down to a question of:  is it better to cater to the convenience of the emoji-users, or to the emoji-shunners?

The emoji have been such a constant feature of the forums for so many years, with such ubiquitous usage by so many people, that I think if you tinkered with this you'd inconvenience a lot more people than you'd convenience.

Some forums I have been on allows you to change the setting if you want emojis or not. I don't mind either way, but I do use some non-emoji characters sometimes:

Spoiler

:3
OwO
OuO
>:D
(:
):
D:
O.o
O.O
O_O
0_o

etc. 

• Like 1

It's much worse when Skype converts you source code examples into emojies during a serious meeting.

"Make BBcode work with the forum" might be a good one...

7 hours ago, YNM said:

"Make BBcode work with the forum" might be a good one...

Doesn't it already? I know that when I imbed imgur images I use their bbcode thing. I've also messed with it in the test thread and seen it work (mostly I think) 

Anyways, thought it already does.. 

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, qzgy said:

Anyways, thought it already does.. 

WYSIWYG editors don't parse BBcodes.

Will this text gets boldened ?

EDIT : Woah ! it works ? Genuinely didn't know this...

Edited by YNM

1 minute ago, YNM said:

EDIT : Woah ! it works ? Genuinely didn't know this...

Guess so. So now you do know!

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

In this case I'm sure each of the emoji actually have a BBcode. Just not the usual ":)  :) " smilies (which is good since you don't know where else would they appear).

EDIT : Now apparently the parsing has worked, just need to wait a while. So thanks moderators/admins !

Edited by YNM