Realistic Lightweight Wings

Dnarbnellih2

Do they make a mod with reasonable weight wings? All the wings in stock and even B9 procedural ones are heavy, this picture below is my example. The ubiquitous Mk1 command pod for scale, this wing is a mere 5 square meters (7.5ft x 7.5ft), but weighs 100kg (220lbs)! I'd like to use something you'd find on a crop duster. These would be nice for just screwing around. I can see why the other wings are so heavy, but I don't need these to *re-enter from orbit*. I'd expect them to break down at about 150 m/s or when stresses became too great (pulling a hard turn in a heavy plane, or maybe even just trying to take off in something very heavy), and not be usable as actual structural elements (like not be able to attach stuff to them, like a lot of science experiments). The wings below are basically 20kg/m^2, or 40 pounds a square yard, the wings I'm thinking of would be about 5kg/m^2, maybe less if that would be realistic. https://imgur.com/a/a1z4Mgw

Most of these adjustments can be done with a ModuleManager patch, for example:

$PART[wingConnector]
{
	@name = wingConnectorLight
	@mass = 0.02
	@title = Wing Connector Type A (Light)
}

If you are not familiar with the MM syntax, let's go through these lines:

$PART[wingConnector]

This will copy ($) the PART with the internal name 'wingConnector'

@name = wingConnectorLight

This will EDIT (@) the internal 'name' of your part to 'wingConnectorLight'

@mass = 0.02

This will EDIT (@) the 'mass' of the part to '0.02' (tons]

@title = Wing Connector Type A (Light)

This will EDIT (@) the ingame displayed name of your part to 'Wing Connector A (Light)'

You can go through the stock config files (located in 'KSP_install_directory/GameData/Squad/Parts/...') and look for values you want to edit. Each value you don't address in your MM patch will be copied from the stock part. So you can change the heat tolerance, crash tolerance, costs, etc... fairly easy as well.

I'm not quiet sure if you can do anything about the 'stress' tolerance (ripping off during a hard turn), maybe by increasing the angularDrag but I'm not sure about that. The easiest way would be to lower the Pressure Tolerance but I cannot find any entries for this and a wild guess for 'pressureTolerance' doesn't work. Maybe someone else got an idea for this :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.