Duna InSight Challenge

10 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

That's an impressive amount of hardware for a single rocket! I'll dig into the scoring when I get a chance, but looks good so far.

Thanks ! 

That's 401 parts if I remember, which is "okay" but all those fairings made things quite laggy.. !

Hmm. So on the one hand it's an impressive mission, on the other hand it doesn't quite meet all the requirements. In real life, the Mars Recon Orbiter was an earlier mission that was already there long before InSight was even planned. It has supported many other missions during its time in orbit of Mars, including scanning potential landing sites for InSight. For the InSight mission proper, the lander and two MarCO CubeSats were launched on an Atlas-Centaur vehicle, and then all three spacecraft separated in LEO before traveling in formation to Mars.

Your mission is a single launch for all spacecraft and a base, that all travels to Duna as a single craft before separating. Again, certainly impressive, but not quite within parameters. I see a few fair ways to score it. You could redo the mission, but I understand if you don't want to do all that again. Alternatively, if you can demonstrate that the DRO relay and minisats are able to travel from LKO to Duna as-is, with no craft modifications, I would accept that. Or I can give you full score for the Rank 1 (base) and 4 (Jeb madness) portions, but dock you some points for Rank 2 (minisats) and 3 (DRO) portions.

I did not compete for the points :) I designed this outpost some days ago and I just saw that it could fit into your challenge. It was just a good opportunity to deploy it instead of scrapping the project !

After watching the objectives, I'd say that rank 1 should be good, it's a manned spacecraft but there are multiples probes on board. Rank 2 does not qualify as I did not launched the RoundSats independantly. Rank 3 nop, no DRO. Rank 4 just for fun ! =D

Do something insane. Build a Duna colony

Edited by Kerbolitto

The idea was for each rank to build on the one before it, and that you had to meet all of those requirements as well. But I suppose I forgot to explicitly say that, lol. So, uh, how about a Rank 1 with an honorable mention for a cool base? I could make a gatecrasher badge with Jeb doing something stupid awesome.

2 hours ago, GRS said:

@sturmhauke

Is a single Launch 20 Sat thingy with a Colony of 300 Kerbs insane enough to get to Rank 4 ??? (maybe just the Kerbal Cap, my PC may just crash from loading the Kerbs...)

Sounds cool! Just remember if you want the Rank 4 badge you also need to meet the other requirements.

15 hours ago, sturmhauke said:

Sounds cool! Just remember if you want the Rank 4 badge you also need to meet the other requirements.

U mean all Rank 1,2, and 3 Requirements ???

36 minutes ago, sturmhauke said:

Nice looking mission! Are you using a part texture mod with stock parts? It sort of looks like stock but not exactly. I just need to know which category to put it on.

It's a visual mod called Restock which improves old textures of stock parts, really great mod btw

• 9 months later...

Ooh, a new challenger! Welcome!

Each rank builds on the previous rank. The basic mission is rank 1, the cubesats are rank 2, and the DRO is rank 3. If you are doing a DRO, you need the cubesats too. Also remember that the DRO represents an earlier mission, and needs to be launched first and already in orbit of Duna before InSight arrives.

It'sperfectly fine to use the DRO as a relay; that was the intent in the real mission, but the MRO was going to be on the wrong side of Mars during the landing sequence so NASA sent the cubesats also. Now that InSight is in place, it sends signals to the MRO whenever it passes overhead.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.