The most angry youve gotten in KSP

Fraston

A more recent cause of much swearing and reloading the game from backups was my attempts to put a six spoke ring station in orbit of the Mun. I discovered a rather unique method to summon the kraken. I like to have multiple labs and converters in my stations, and a while back realized that a great place for them was in the spokes. While designing this station I noticed for the first time in my 155 years that the larger ISRU converters, the only ones I use, are both heavier than the labs (4.25 tons vs 3.5 tons) and shorter, which of course makes them denser. And since this is the first space station I've launched built with enough reaction wheels to reorient itself without using RCS jets (It has 6 of the largest wheels in its central core; the launch vehicle didn't even need fins!) I figured that the denser components should be placed nearer to the core to make it easier to reorient. Well imagine my constrination when during my first two attempts to place it in its final orbit around the Mun and dock with its asteroid fuel source ended with the most spectacular explosive krakens I have ever seen mere seconds after I jettisoned my "patented" radial bracing system. The station didn't so much shake itself apart as fly apart and crash the game. In the second attempt I double checked the autostructing and added even more standard structs, and used the invincibility cheats, but it still kraksploded. So I did some more experiments and eventually discovered that my launch pad testing where I spawn the station on pad with the ring supported by launch braces didn't last long enough, and if I waited about 45 seconds it started doing the Kraken dance. So I tried several new configurations, and eventually discovered that putting the labs closer to the station core than the converts solve the problem. This is the same order of components I used in every ring station up to that point, so i wonder if I discovered this problem once before and forgot about it.

On a recent save game, when I had 4 different manned missions headed to other planets running at the same time.  Using OPM so some of the destinations had some lengthy travel times and I made heavy use of timewarp.  ( Manned mission to Sarnus! )

One of my missions "adjusted" it's trajectory during time warp so that it completely missed the target planet, and by the time I discovered this, it was way too far off to correct with the remaining dV I had on the craft.  It managed to do this despite my warping until craft had left Kerbin SOI and I confirmed it had the desired intercept course.  Returned focus to the craft when the SOI intercept alarm went off in KAC and discovered I was many millions of KM away from the target instead of entering it's SOI and preparing for capture.  Some of my other missions had since arrived successfully and I had completed their landings on the targets, so reverting was not possible without losing all of that other effort.

Since this was due to the "feature" where orbits change when entering timewarp, I "fixed" it by burning up the planned amount of deltaV for the capture maneuver node and then "cheated" it into approximately the capture orbit.

I really really avoid using the cheat menu as it's... well.. cheaty, but made an exception in this case as I got screwed by the floating point rounding kraken that intermittently impacts orbits under warp.

On 11/29/2018 at 9:03 PM, 5thHorseman said:

Whenever someone says any of the following:

• Kerbol
  • Crafts
  • Kerbins
  • Kermans
  • Underneathies (Oh wait that's Factorio)

Or Min*I*mus... there's only one "i", folks.

Seriously though, my worst was the only time I lost a career save in KSP 1.5, and all my re-entering spacecraft got batted back out because body lift was fubar somehow. This was before they released the 1.5.1 hotfix specifically for the problem, but I'd already scragged the game trying various fixes.

On 12/7/2018 at 7:26 AM, Vivalajosh88 said:

When I landed on my second moon only to realise I had put the ladder over the door so my Kerbal couldn't get out. Poor little guy is still there

I did that once, but I edited the save to remove the ladder, and now I religiously check the engineer report in the VAB, and my own little checklist.

Edited by GeneCash

Happened not that long ago, when I was attempting to dock with an asteroid station I had made to attach a module. 

Since the docking port was aligned in a strange way, lining up with it perfectly was near impossible. Spent something like an hour and ten or so attempts before I got liquided, kicked a chair over and went to bed. (It was around midnight at that point.)

Then the very next day I docked perfectly on my first try. I’m not sure whether I should be angry or happy about that. :rolleyes:

Sudden unexplained accelerating syndrome.

Just setting up the Eve shot around Mimmus with fueling from mining the moon and the ship will accelerate away from the view position.

Or just blow up.

The polar orbital resource survey satelite will also happily wander through the rest of the ship as a gohst when you undock it...

All in all the campaign is now more or less scrap.....

Happy days...

• 3 weeks later...

My first Duna Probe, tried to put in an orbiter, lander and satelite. the satelite got there first so i left it in a high eliptical orbit. little did i know it would get slingshotted by the moons and i'd have to capture the orbiter, then babysit the manuver i had set up for the satelite, then re-enter the lander, then go back to the satelite to see that it had once again, escaped so i had to do it again.

this took about 5 hours

• 3 weeks later...

The first couple times I played the demo... lol...

I don't really get mad at games... not "rage" mad... they're just games after all.

But when my daughter told me about KSP, and I tried the demo, I was expecting just another space game... and I was totally, frustratingly, wonderfully wrong!!! 
Took a couple times to actually get to the Mun, and then I hit a slope and crashed... and I was having a great time while getting really mad at the game at the same time... but in a good way.

And I had to buy the full version a couple days later... because I just could not the the game win!

Hmmmm... I just had an interesting thought... 4 years later and now I'm working for Squad... So does that mean KSP ultimately did beat me in the end???  lmao... :huh:

Edited by Just Jim

1 hour ago, Just Jim said:

Hmmmm... I just had an interesting thought... 4 years later and now I'm working for Squad... So does that mean KSP ultimately did beat me in the end??? 

Yes, it was playing the long game. This was always the plan. :P

I don't really rage at KSP... sometimes it is exasperating, but mission errors are usually my error, not the game. Problems due to bugs are usually rare enough not to happen on a reload, and if they do, then that is also my fault for not testing it before the real mission. Design problems are 100% avoidable with good testing.

The biggest problem for me is that hard problems (e.g. Eve missions) glue me to my seat rather than make me walk away. I've had several unexpected fasting days when I forget to eat until late in the evening because my brain prefers KSP to calories :P

Advice for keeping your cool:

1. Revert and reload is not cheating. They simulate having a team of hundreds of very very clever people to assist your design decisions. 
  2. Test everything at KSC. Check your hatches, ladders, solar panels. Check your kerbal can get out and back in without a jetpack.
  3. Test everything in situ. Use the debug menu. Zip from the pad to the orbit of the planet you're going to, land, do the tests in point 3. Launch to orbit. Revert. See point 1.
  4. Use the aero overlay to detect unexpected drag if relevant to your build. A lot of rocket flipping is due to a draggy payload.
  5. When in doubt, ask the forums! This is possibly the most helpful community ever, and while we can't just give you stuff, we can usually solve your problems. Engineering is hard, but the KSP hive-mind is all knowing :) 

I've often found myself forgetting to save ships, launching them. and forgetting to save the "Untitled Space Craft [Auto-Saved Ship]" afterwards. Similarly, without saving a ship, I've often tried to merge another ship with it, but refexively clicked "open"

Most angry time?   Anytime a lander gets tipped off its feet on Duna - they all end up producing rage at the control scheme/planet flat surface interfaces.

That and anytime a death was caused by the dev-troll-move to have adjusting time warp while already in a navigational warp increment by 2 factors, not one.

Edited by panzerknack

• 2 weeks later...

Any time a long and complex mission to fulfill a contract fails to trigger contract completion due to glitches. The cheat menu is just not as fulfilling as the little blinking notification icon. On the other hand, looking through here, a lot of these bugs would be fair game for the cheat menu. Playing KSP without the cheat menu to correct glitches would be like playing skyrim without dealing with bugs using the console.

Edited by ExtremeSquared

Back in something like 0.24, I was planning my first interplanetary trip to I think Duna with a "huge" multi-part ship meant to be assembled in orbit. It had everything I would need. Several Remotetech probes to establish a network, Scansat probes, a lander, a rover, a few landed facilities, precisely calculated amount of life support, a power generation, etc. It took me days to tweak and test every part of it, I was so dedicated to it that I even shared a modular spreadsheet for LS calculation on the forum after spending so long perfecting the one I wrote for that very mission. But when I considered myself close to done, the game, which was rather unstable at that time and on a quite poor laptop decided after an umpteenth crash to definitely corrupt the save and none of the subpart of my magnificent ship ever left the VAB. I don't know if I was angry or just disheartened, but that day is the day I stopped playing KSP for about five years.

Hardcore career mode.  I'd decided it was time to really reap the scientific rewards and open up a lot of nodes in the tech tree.  So I planned seven Mun land and return missions - each targeted for a different biome.  Specifically picked some of my most experienced kerbonauts (that didn't yet have Mun landing XP) - they were to be my vanguard for a slew of missions to Duna later when the launch window on day 209 opened up.

The Mun missions were launch - very well tested rocket and lander design that I knew worked extremely well.  Mission 4 was destined for the polar crater, and placed in a polar orbit (along with Mission 7, which was to be the polar lowlands landing).  I usually "park" my Mun missions about 7,000 m above the surface before triggering final descent.  Well, you can guess what's coming.  Normally, for equatorial orbits (which most of my Mun missions have been), that's plenty high.  But the Mun has some mountain peaks near the poles that are *higher* than 7,000 m.

I start landing my brave Kerbals in order.  One, two, and three go off without a hitch.  Then I get to 4, and she's nowhere to be found.  Just gone.  I check the Center, and sure enough she's now listed as KIA (along with poor Jeb, who died when a rocket tipped over on the launch pad on like day 2 or something).

That just ruined my whole day.  I was so proud of how I was executing seven Mun missions all at once and it was going off without a hitch.  That just poured a giant steaming turd on my high.  Had to quit and come back a day later when I cooled down (where I put together Mission 8 in memory of my poor, failed Mission 4).

The other, repeating, close second, is every goddam time I even sneeze or look away from my screen, the VAB decides to prank me be repositioning my @#!$% launch clips from where I had them to some stage that makes no sense at all.  I dread those things.  They're literally never been "right" on their own even once.  And even when I do move them, if I don't watch them like a hawk, they just end up shifting to some stage that'll ensure the rocket gets torn apart when it tries to launch.  If I didn't need them to keep my rockets from tipping over (poor, poor Jeb), I wouldn't touch them with a 120-meter cattle prod.  It's gotten to the point where my rage at them getting scewed up actually manages to justify in my head the right to go into my save file and edit it to erase the failure, and then go back into the game and move the damn launch clamps to where I originally put them.  Again.  Which sort of defeats the spirit of hardcore, but dear God I'm not going to lose 320,000 funds and five kerbonauts because the computer is being a moron (only when I'M being a moron - like letting my poor kerbonauts crash into Mun mountains; or accidentally triggering the stage that separates my re-entry pod from the rest of the ship waaay too early in the mission; or getting impatient with my descent rate and turning off my engines, but not turning them back on again fast enough to slow me down before I lithobrake; or getting in perfect position for docking, and forgetting I'm still in staging mode, and turning my main engines to full blast; or realizing I actually forgot to put a decoupler between two of my stages right as I'm about to trigger it in flight; or getting out past Jool and realizing I accidentally put the wrong antennas on my probe and it's lost communication; well, the list goes on and on.  But not the damn launch clamps.  Those aren't my fault.  Ever.)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.