[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

On 12/14/2018 at 1:44 AM, Nertea said:

We don't mind hinting at a few extra things!

What are the plans to integrate the parts into the game? Replacing the models of the stock parts, or completely new parts?

And, to hype us a little more, how are the plans for the decouplers? The same model for every size (like in 1.4.x) or unique models for each size (like 1.3.x and previous)? And the heat shields, they will be a faded black matching the style of Near Future SpaceCraft? :rolleyes:

Ok, I'll stop here (for a while) :)

6 hours ago, MaximumThrust said:

What are the plans to integrate the parts into the game? Replacing the models of the stock parts, or completely new parts?

... And the heat shields, they will be a faded black matching the style of Near Future SpaceCraft?

The mod will respect the stock model colliders and therefore just replace the existing stock parts' models/textures with the mod's own. This mod is intended to be a drag and drop replacement of the stock games part art assets rather than an independent mod in its own right.

With respect to the heat shields, I guess you'll just have to wait and see... I'm sure Nertea has some treats hidden up his sleeves. :D

21 minutes ago, Poodmund said:

The mod will respect the stock model colliders and therefore just replace the existing stock parts' models/textures with the mod's own. This mod is intended to be a drag and drop replacement of the stock games part art assets rather than an independent mod in its own right.

With respect to the heat shields, I guess you'll just have to wait and see... I'm sure Nertea has some treats hidden up his sleeves. :D

Just curious :) A standalone option to install would be nice, like in Porkjet's Legacy. It bring some advantages, like a lighter install with less MM patches, and usually is way easier to manage. As awesome Ven's Revamp is, sometimes is a pain to deal with all those patches :confused:

On 12/18/2018 at 12:40 AM, MaximumThrust said:

Just curious :) A standalone option to install would be nice, like in Porkjet's Legacy. It bring some advantages, like a lighter install with less MM patches, and usually is way easier to manage. As awesome Ven's Revamp is, sometimes is a pain to deal with all those patches :confused:

Maintaining a number of different distributions is a nightmare I don't want to deal with. I'm not sure how a standalone thing would be easier to manage. I'll point out that Ven's GameData structure is confusing and it's very difficult to identify what does what. Restock's is much cleaner IMO. 

(also, it seems like there is a popular misconception that MM patches create a heavy install. Whatever overhead there might be, the overhead from loading the currently finished stack of ~70 parts is much higher)

On 12/17/2018 at 5:36 PM, MaximumThrust said:

And, to hype us a little more, how are the plans for the decouplers? The same model for every size (like in 1.4.x) or unique models for each size (like 1.3.x and previous)?

Uh, part of my design goals is always to provide some kind of artistic differentiation that makes sense for parts. That being said there are a lot of parts that look worse than the decouplers so they're low priority. 

On 12/17/2018 at 5:36 PM, MaximumThrust said:

And the heat shields, they will be a faded black matching the style of Near Future SpaceCraft? :rolleyes:

We did some things with these, you'll have to wait and see. Apparently some people like poo brown though. 

Edited by Nertea

@Nertea thanks for the reply! When I said it's easier, is from a player point of view (of course not the modder's one), but using Ven's Revamp as reference. Glad you agree that it's confusing, and is keeping in mind to make something clean. This way it should make no difference for us :)

70 parts? :o:) I guess it's time for the legendary Hype Train!

2pdoav.gif

Edited by MaximumThrust

Merry Christmas from the Restock team! This week we'll show you the xenon-related parts - the Dawn and some inert gas tankage.

hkxbBW6.png

zpidgbk.png

And some terrible screenshots because I'm trying to port our stuff to 1.6.x and it's annoying.

HTImSxI.png

MIfu0ED.png

On 12/19/2018 at 1:32 PM, MaximumThrust said:

When I said it's easier, is from a player point of view

Well, I still don't really get why it's easier - you should educate me, so I make sure I take it into account! :)

13 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

Are you ever going to include these in NF Propulsion??

NF Propulsion already provides a host of alternative Xenon tanks and engines. It makes no sense to put something meant for this mod and this purpose (to make stock look better), into any other mod (which largely ignores stock).

@Nertea It's easier when we don't want all the parts in a revamp, you could easily chose each ones to keep or not using Janitor's Closet, everything in-game, and with the possibility to see both parts side by side. If you don't want the stock one, you prune it and keep the other. Of course, you lose the possibility to share that craft file like it was stock - not a problem for me.

Some parts also have config names totally different from the in-game part name, like the Rhino Engine, it's called Size3AdvancedEngine. Can take some time to find a lot of parts this way. Ven's can be even worse, I remember it using other name for the same part after it was replaced (For example: VenStockRevamp/Squad/Parts/Propulsion/KR-2L for the Rhino)

I can say I really liked everything you did so far, I highly doubt I will don't want all the parts. But there's people out there with different (and questionable) tastes, like the ones that like the poo brown heat shields. Since having two distributions is out of question (and since you are keeping in mind to make something clean I don't even see the need for it anymore), here's my humble suggestion:

If it don't impact performance, make one .cfg file for each part, with names that are easily recognizable knowing the name the part have in-game, inside folders with the category names :) If, for any reason, multiple parts will need to share the same .cfg, put something with the in-game part name, with "//".

@JadeOfMaar I think ReStock and NF-P will merge very nicely, complementing each other. I find NF-P very balanced against the stock game. None of the engines or tanks are inherently better than stock, each one have specific niches where they excel, making the experience very fun and a good brain exercise, and greatly reducing part count in some cases. But I agree, don't make any sense to duplicate the parts and include them in NF-P.

Edited by MaximumThrust

@Nertea Is there an official link to donate to help support this project?

I would love to provide support, but would only really trust if it came directly in a post from you or updated on the OP. I saw another post a few pages back from someone else. (Sorry, not trying to be sketchy, but ya never know with the internets!)

On 11/29/2018 at 5:25 PM, Nertea said:

Restock+

We believe that there are a number of places where KSP is missing key parts - for example, where a stack class is missing parts that exist in other classes. Restock+ aims to create parts that fill this niche, and is a wholly optional project. More details on that later

Have you come up with a list for this yet? ... and will it be made in tandem with this or only started after the base restock is complete?

10 hours ago, scottadges said:

I would love to provide support, but would only really trust if it came directly in a post from you or updated on the OP. I saw another post a few pages back from someone else. (Sorry, not trying to be sketchy, but ya never know with the internets!)

Its there on the OP - or any OP of any mod made by Nertea.

GBGbFRt.png

Today the Restock team brings you our Twin Boar! Definitely one of the meh-est models ingame, the original suffers from technical flaws like an inconsistent diameter and artistic flaws like... well, I won't get into that, it'd take all day. Anyways, we've completely redone it with all the bells and whistles you've hopefully come to expect from us, like detailed, accurate piping, high fidelity gimbal hardware, new effects, subtle emissives and inter-part consistency.

twfrptg.png

AHsuG9w.png

XEKjQa6.png

EDhCJpb.png

22 hours ago, hieywiey said:

Are solar panels going to be revamped? The stock ones are hideous.

Of course!

On 12/27/2018 at 12:07 PM, memphis_mg said:

thx 4 your work, i see that correctly that i can this mod only by ON you ?

sry 4 bad eng

I have no idea. 

On 12/27/2018 at 9:49 AM, Electrocutor said:

Have you come up with a list for this yet? ... and will it be made in tandem with this or only started after the base restock is complete?

Yes and no, to both questions!

On 12/27/2018 at 9:39 AM, scottadges said:

Not this project specifically. I'll try to work something out though. 

3 hours ago, memphis_mg said:

yes,

but i think its under development so i must wait for the officially release right?

Yes, but legend has it if you sacrifice Jebediah with a blade of pure obsidian, under a Mun arch darkened by the shadow of Kerbin, all will be revealed to you by Porkjet himself.

Edited by minepagan