[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

9 hours ago, blowfish said:

My recollection is that they came with emissives but they weren’t used 

They did come with the DDS sheat for the emissives but they were not working. My understanding was they were never implemented in the model and without the original Unity build file they would have to be completely rebuilt to get the emissives working? Those models have been out for a long time with no version with working  emissives ever showing up. I should not be surprised to see them now. If anyone is capable of rebuilding those models from scratch it would be Nertea and all the other awesome modellers working on this project.

13 hours ago, Delbrutis said:

They did come with the DDS sheat for the emissives but they were not working. My understanding was they were never implemented in the model and without the original Unity build file they would have to be completely rebuilt to get the emissives working? Those models have been out for a long time with no version with working  emissives ever showing up. I should not be surprised to see them now. If anyone is capable of rebuilding those models from scratch it would be Nertea and all the other awesome modellers working on this project.

It was distributed with the Unity scene, it’s not that much work to get the emissives functioning and re-export.  Especially since they don’t require an animation anymore.  I got it working for one engine a while back but got bored and didn’t do the rest.

Edited by blowfish

11 hours ago, blowfish said:

It was distributed with the Unity scene, it’s not that much work to get the emissives functioning and re-export.  Especially since they don’t require an animation anymore.  I got it working for one engine a while back but got bored and didn’t do the rest.

That's good to know I have not installed Unity on my computer in a long time Because I'm a terrible artist! I should not be let anywhere near a texture or 3d model. I am hoping Restock or Restock+ will be out soon with the fix for PJ engines. But it's nice to know that you no longer need a animation. Thank's

43 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I mean at the moment the Porkjet revamp stuff is basically the lowest quality content in the mod. So it's not really to get excited about (and the Pug emissives are just garbage)

tfw your mod's lowest quality stuff is made by one of the best artists squad ever had lmao

@Nertea  I've heard you're including Porkjet's Part Overhaul tanks and engines in this. I've used the Missing History versions almost as long as I've been playing KSP and based on the work you've shown, I don't think the Porkjet's parts meet the standards you've set for yourself. They look a bit more cartoonish in comparison, and fall between the quality of work you're doing and the original Squad parts.

Edited by Tonka Crash

I agree with you @Tonka Crash but this is Porkjet's legacy: https://external-preview.redd.it/2bAxK2GVYQI6mXII8bJ0zX_grJMj6GJ_BmKHmtH_LF8.jpg?auto=webp&s=404f577c0d9a4c6152282e3050df268df6e3f26a

And models/textures that have already been released by porkjet should be in this mod to appreciate it accordingly. Or do you mean that Nertea should remodel/retexture Porkjet's parts? holy_b.png:D

That is just a style  guide, which I would argue Squad has been paying attention to in the recent revamps of the Terrier, Spark and Poodle. How well is a matter of opinion, but we are now getting multiple variants of legacy engines, while at the same time just not copying previous Porkjet's work.

3 hours ago, woeller said:

And models/textures that have already been released by porkjet should be in this mod to appreciate it accordingly. Or do you mean that Nertea should remodel/retexture Porkjet's parts? holy_b.png:D

There are already several mods where you can get Porkjet's parts if you want them, as I mentioned I use Missing History. And, I do mean that Nertea should at least retexture these. To be blunt, without a refresh these would be a weak point in ReStock.

In my opinion, even though these were an inspiration for the style of ReStock/ReStock+, they no longer fit that style. Porkjet's Parts license is CC-BY-NC, so Nertea could modify the textures of the existing models as long as he continues to attribute Porkjets as the source of the parts. I think he should think about scrapping these.

Edited by Tonka Crash
Cut unnecessary pic.

55 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Nertea could modify the textures of the existing models as long as he continues to attribute Porkjets as the source of the parts.

I'm pretty sure that it's already been stated by the Restock team that they're already tweaking these models to bring them up to Restock style standards. I for one look forward to seeing the new and improved 1.25m engines.

In Porkjet's defense, the models released with the PartOverhauls preview are clearly unfinished (unimplemented emissives and compact variants, etc.), and he was developing what was basically an entirely new stock art style for KSP rocket engines. It's not surprising that Restock's work is more polished (which is not to say that Restock isn't extremely impressive in its own right.)

3 hours ago, woeller said:

@Tonka Crash But what if the Porkjet tank variant is only one variant? Take a closer look at the Skipper update from Nertea. There are sneak peeks on all published pictures so far. Among other things you will see 1.25m tanks. ;)

Nertea has already stated  I think that all tanks would have variants, that doesn't surprise me. I'm just saying that just because Porkjet made a part doesn't make it immune to criticism, especially when included as part of mod replacing all stock parts.

Edited by Tonka Crash

Nothing is immune to criticism, ever.

I would like to say that I think I could do better now than the PJ overhaul engines in a few ways. There is a slightly inconsistent detail level and some of the boattails in particular could use a full repaint at the very least.

However, there's always a cost benefit analysis that needs to be done with these decisions. Is it better to have completed, slightly lower detail assets, or add an estimated 4 hours modeling, 3-4 hours unwrapping, 4 hours texturing , 1 hour integration, 2 hours QA per part? That's a lot of work - engines are very much the most time consuming pieces to do. At the moment, the equation is pretty clearly weighted on the re-use side.

We do want the mod to be released this decade, after all.

3 hours ago, Nertea said:

Nothing is immune to criticism, ever.

I would like to say that I think I could do better now than the PJ overhaul engines in a few ways. There is a slightly inconsistent detail level and some of the boattails in particular could use a full repaint at the very least.

However, there's always a cost benefit analysis that needs to be done with these decisions. Is it better to have completed, slightly lower detail assets, or add an estimated 4 hours modeling, 3-4 hours unwrapping, 4 hours texturing , 1 hour integration, 2 hours QA per part? That's a lot of work - engines are very much the most time consuming pieces to do. At the moment, the equation is pretty clearly weighted on the re-use side.

We do want the mod to be released this decade, after all.

You're way faster at making engines than me :P

On 2/13/2019 at 10:10 AM, Nertea said:

or add an estimated 4 hours modeling, 3-4 hours unwrapping, 4 hours texturing , 1 hour integration, 2 hours QA per part?

*Wishes he could do parts anywhere near that fast.... with anywhere near that quality*

In case I hadn't stated it before -- very impressive work you guys are doing here, love it :)   Wonderfully consistent in both models and textures from the previews I've seen.

53 minutes ago, Shadowmage said:

*Wishes he could do parts anywhere near that fast.... with anywhere near that quality*

In case I hadn't stated it before -- very impressive work you guys are doing here, love it :)   Wonderfully consistent in both models and textures from the previews I've seen.

I should mention that those numbers are customized for a lowish detail 1.25m scale part that is mostly fictional - ie, i'm not spending time researching the engine, ensuring the cycle is perfect and things like that. That kind of work easily kicks the effort numbers up ridiculously, I easily spent upwards of 36 hours total on the SSME.

But yes. This week, five parts! RCS parts. They're not very large or fancy, but they're important to get right, as they'll be on a great number of ships. The RCS thrusters themselves were pretty easy - kick up the interest by adding details from the classic Apollo RCS blocks. I got the opportunity to deal with a part I personally hate here, which was the linear RCS port - an ugly thing that I can never make look right. Now, you have the ability to toggle the aeroshell off to get a bare engine, which you can use more easily to customize the RCS layouts of your vacuum-going ships. 

The RCS tanks were a bit more of a bother. The stock art for these is a bit all over the place, from the bulgy tiny stack tank to the egg-carton 2.5m tank. The radial tanks are relatively inoffensive though, so they just get a cleanup pass with some improvements to their attachment hardware. Drawing from these radial tanks, stack tanks were all built as enclosed sets of spheres - different numbers per size class. This does however have the effect of creating tanks that really just looks like a bunch of eggs in a styrofoam carton, so I went hunting for upper stage rocket pictures are reproduced some of the piping, greebling and pressurant tanks to break up the surface. 

Next, a potentially controversial design decision - the tank externals. Many people may be used to the idea that monopropellant == yellow, but we should also note that in KSP, yellow == SRBs, monopropellant, batteries and xenon tanks. That is quite overloaded and should probably be addressed. Because of this we chose to remove the yellow striping and replace it with a consistent checkerboard pattern, which is immediately identifiable and consistent over all 3 stack tanks but also subtle and doesn't look out of place on a rocket or plane, like the old yellow tanks did. 

lUGPOIK.png

Q3IL1nE.png

sqN2G4o.png

0jop7To.png

5fmBcqT.png

NsGbREh.png

This album also has the largest collection of unshown and Restock+ parts we've shown in it, so happy checking :P. 

Edited by Nertea

The way the feed line greebling in the large RCS tank lines up with the linear ports you put there is simply genius. I'm going to have to steal that for my own craft.

As for Restock+ parts... ummm... the 45° angled RCS? Is that new? Does stock have them nowadays or not? I have not played unmodded in so long, I genuinely cannot tell :confused:

Edited by Streetwind

Nice! I don't know what your policies are on attach nodes: the linear ports as service engines are a perfect touch, but it seems "right" that they have the stack attach nodes to match. Is that in the running , or is it more suited for the "extras" folder?

1 hour ago, Streetwind said:

As for Restock+ parts... ummm... the 45° angled RCS? Is that new? Does stock have them nowadays or not? I have not played unmodded in so long, I genuinely cannot tell :confused:

No, stock does not have 45° angled RCS and it really should.  Making History's Munar Excursion Module has them built-in, but for your own 45° angled RCS, you have to get them from a mod pack.  FASA RCS is a small part set with them.  As far as I know, they still work well with KSP 1.6.1.

It's good that there's projects like this and @Snark's Missing HIstory to fill in parts that should be in the game as well as give them a better unified styling.