[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

3 minutes ago, scottadges said:

Which is "RLA"?

I find myself using the 45 degree RCS from Bluedog Design Bureau (I believe) parts. Love me some 45-degree reaction controllation!

I don't know what else to call it. It's a 'been around forever' mod. Lots of 'missing' parts that you wonder why they're not stock.

Doh, ninja'd!

Edited by komodo

1 hour ago, komodo said:

The best/stockiest 45 degree RCS I am aware of is in the RLA suite. HGR has a nice set of low profile but non-stock thrusters as well. 

I'd forgotten they were in RLA.  And that RLA is choke full of good parts.  As Missing History fills in many of the gaps in Making History, RLA fills in many of the gaps in stock KSP.

6 hours ago, komodo said:

The best/stockiest 45 degree RCS I am aware of is in the RLA suite. HGR has a nice set of low profile but non-stock thrusters as well. 

The stockiest and quite rich set of RCS blocks can be found in MandatoryRCS Part Pack

But "stockiest" is going to be meaning nothing but "dull and obsolete" thanks to ReStock team )

18 hours ago, Nertea said:

This album also has the largest collection of unshown and Restock+ parts we've shown in it, so happy checking :P. 

Here's what I think I was able to spot:

• Shielded docking port on top of the 2.5m pod
  • 2.5m probe core under the pod
  • 5-way RCS block [incidentally, I'm curious how this will compare visually to the 5-way blocks that we've all hacked together in stock by clipping a 4-way block with a linear port]
  • Square light in service bay
  • HECS and OKTO probe cores
  • Cubic struts
  • RTGs (again)
  • Tiny RCS - including 45-degree variants
  • Small radiators (?)
  • Tiny monopropellant tanks

14 hours ago, Jacke said:

Missing History fills in many of the gaps in Making History

Another mod I literally didn't know was out there that now I have to download immediately!  :confused:

Sorry @Nertea I'll let this thread back on track and stop posting about other mods. LOL

Why yes, it is Thursday. Apparently Squad does their stuff today too now, too bad. 

So this week we're going to dump a whole lot of parts. Almost the entire remote guidance lineup to be exact (the RoveMate didn't quite make it in under the wire). 

Firstly, the QBE, HECS, OKTO, OKTO2 and HECS2 have all been reworked to fit with our stylings. We kept the Mariner probe inspiration from the more recent Squad revamp for the hexagonal and octagonal cores, pulling in more details and surface features like micro-antennae and modeled heat-rejecting louvers. The QBE takes inspiration from RADARSAT-2, which has a nice rectangular prism bus. All of these smaller cores share lots of textural and model features so really look like they come from the same manufacturer. The HECS2 is a little different - due to its larger size it has got a whole lot more detail, including an open, modeled set of louvers that you can peer into and see some internal hardware.  It's also kinda rough to get a good idea of how these look ingame - apologies for the lower reflection quality here. 

SkXjoGz.png
PBV5EKK.png

gqG0iEY.png

CdkU0f0.png

rgVkj8N.png

The Stayputnik is not that different than stock, the main difference is that the reflectivity levels have been normalized, and a bare variant has been added so you can build a very Sputnik-like vessel. 

wqmTNOf.png

Lastly, the two Remote Guidance units have been completely redone, and now sport detailed interiors with lots of interesting greebles. We decided on a greenish colour scheme for all our RGUs from small to large, as it is a tone quite underused in the game right now. I could also mention that the units are now precisely stack size in width, so they no longer bulge out of a rocket stack. This, when combined with their external grey-painted tones, makes them match much better than the old ones. 

mZYskyQ.png

Now, enjoy a selection of nice screenshots by @Poodmund and @Rock3tman_.

fFzOFes.png

ecvHxYN.png

5EwYyJ6.png

qqQn3Zg.png

dfgPGMf.png

jHwiERd.png

Pil2UO4.png

And a pretty little Stayputnik video!

From a tester/screenshot monkey's perspective it's crazy how much of a difference Restock makes when designing missions. Upping the quality on all parts and adding useful part variants makes stock gameplay feel a whole lot less limiting. Major props to the art team here, @Nertea and @cineboxandrew have tackled a truly amazing amount of work so far.

6 minutes ago, sh1pman said:

Thursday.

SQUAD: one new RCS block

Nertea:

2 hours ago, Nertea said:

Almost the entire remote guidance lineup to be exact

This clearly demonstrates the benefit of having a team of paid professionals over a motley crew of volunt.....oh wait....never mind  :/  

I’m starting to really appreciate that even parts with a superficially simple geometry get this level of attention to detail.

Also I’m loving the smorgasbord of parts that appear in the screenshots despite not having been formally previewed. There are at least one or two where I can’t quite figure out the stock analogue... but that’s just another thing to look forward to.

3 hours ago, smotheredrun said:

@Nertea and team, this looks fantastic!

For the probe cores and some of the sciencey parts looks like you've taken some inspiration from Coatl Aerospace.  @akron have you seen this??

All credit goes to the Restock team! We just both looked to real missions for inspiration and @Nertea did a wonderful adaptation for those probe cores.

If anything, I should be looking at these as a high bar to reach

39 minutes ago, Electrocutor said:

@Nertea Are there any thoughts on having an optional add-on that does affect gameplay? i.e. implements part upgrades for a progression of efficiency, power, or what not?

Restock+ has some effects on gameplay (it adds gimbals to the SRBs for example). Part upgrades are probably out of scope though