[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

22 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Well it would help consolidate things in the VAB, save time sifting through lots of parts. It could also help reduce the overall workload of this pretty ambitious (and amazing) project, just producing one spiffed up variant for most parts. 

A variant is exactly the same amount of work as a regular part, unless it's something low effort like a colour change.

20 hours ago, Gryphorim said:

Comparing your LV-N to the Rocket engine design overhaul document, it seems clear that for at least some parts, you intend to stick pretty close to the concepts in that document. Are there any parts that will be a notable departure? Or any parts shown by Squad for their upcoming release that you intend to do differently?

Uh, I've done something a little different from the Rhino's concept in the sheet (the J-2 is already in MH), and there have overall been minor changes to make the designs work ingame, but we've tried to be faithful otherwise.

Squad's work on the upcoming release is very ehhhh and I'm personally going to take pre-1.5 artistic design as my goal, but where needed I guess we'll support new stuff. A good example is the FL-A5/10 adapters, which used to be metallic in nature and I guess now will be white/black or orange. We already have a bare metal version, so I guess this will be added as a new variant, but I also suppose we'll have to come up with new logical designs for black/white and orange variants. These will take overall goals into account (match with other white/orange parts) but won't follow Squad's design cues unless they are actually good.

1 hour ago, Nertea said:

A variant is exactly the same amount of work as a regular part, unless it's something low effort like a colour change.

Yeah I guess I just mean you could skip re-doing stock variants that were anything but significant geometry changes. 

That is fabulous!

A small suggestion for the Restock+, if I may: the ingame twin boar description talks about some "mythical" KR1 engine, which isn't in the game. How about making it a radially attached engine similar to the MK55 Thud engine, inheriting the texture and stats of the twin boar engines?

I'm really excited for this! I realized the last time I put together modded save that it was nearly possible to play the game with entirely Nertea parts, with the exception of the smaller regular engines/tanks, and maybe the decouplers and some utility bits.  NF launch vehicles especially was tantaliazing glimpse of what that could look like, and this is the final piece of the cohesively-styled puzzle.

People have already brought up the Porkjet design doc so I won't link it or anything (I guess not everyone's seen it), but I'm glad that it'll see the light of day in some form.  Given how you usually implement mesh switching on engines in Cryoengines and the like, are you planning to do round/boattail/compact mounts like the design doc? 

And last, is this where these will finally appear?

https://imgur.com/a/OxIMyDv

https://imgur.com/a/rZVXB8F

Edit: apparently the insert album button is gone now...

Edited by Starbuckminsterfullerton

On 12/3/2018 at 8:40 PM, Gryphorim said:

Comparing your LV-N to the Rocket engine design overhaul document, it seems clear that for at least some parts, you intend to stick pretty close to the concepts in that document. Are there any parts that will be a notable departure? Or any parts shown by Squad for their upcoming release that you intend to do differently?

Hi, loving what I'm reading about these updated designs for all these parts. I was wondering, in the comment above, is the "design overhaul document" available somewhere for the curious content consumer?

Maybe it's been shared elsewhere, but I'd love to take a gander.

Thanks @Nertea, @Beale, and the others on this project for your amazing work!

23 minutes ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

@scottadges Imgur copy can be found here. Maybe I should have linked it after all...

Thank you! I'd never seen that before. Obviously a lot of thought and work went into that. Great to see people taking up the mantle, so to speak, and making KSP parts graphically so much better.

7 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Would you be able to collaborate with @Stevie_D with the nice looking mk2 land can he did?

It's nice but we'll probably wait to see what the final version of whatever Squad drops is like, then adapt ours to that.

6 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah I guess I just mean you could skip re-doing stock variants that were anything but significant geometry changes. 

I'm not certain I follow, but I guess you mean not do redone variant versions of a part unless they change a lot between variants?

5 hours ago, BadLeo said:

A small suggestion for the Restock+, if I may: the ingame twin boar description talks about some "mythical" KR1 engine, which isn't in the game. How about making it a radially attached engine similar to the MK55 Thud engine, inheriting the texture and stats of the twin boar engines?

We're doing something with a single Boar for sure!

2 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

People have already brought up the Porkjet design doc so I won't link it or anything (I guess not everyone's seen it), but I'm glad that it'll see the light of day in some form.  Given how you usually implement mesh switching on engines in Cryoengines and the like, are you planning to do round/boattail/compact mounts like the design doc? 

Certainly!

2 hours ago, Starbuckminsterfullerton said:

Hah, this was restock content from the get go. Trying to build some better 3.75m parts for NF Spacecraft and getting fed up with the garbage I had to work with was what finally convinced me to get off my butt and work on the project in earnest. 

Could I please add a request... 

Would it be possible to adjust the landercans to have an extra seat (some new IVAs with NF props perhaps?) So the Mk1 comes with a two seat variety and the Mk2 (whichever form) a three seat variety.  The hitchhiker gives a vacuum four seater.  Only if you are planning on doing something to them...

Those albums linked by Starbuckminsterfullerton are delicious btw.  Thank you!

Peace.

9 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Could I please add a request... 

Would it be possible to adjust the landercans to have an extra seat (some new IVAs with NF props perhaps?) So the Mk1 comes with a two seat variety and the Mk2 (whichever form) a three seat variety.  The hitchhiker gives a vacuum four seater.  Only if you are planning on doing something to them...

Those albums linked by Starbuckminsterfullerton are delicious btw.  Thank you!

Peace.

Have you looked at the recent Near Future Spacecraft update? There are a whole bunch of new pods, some with integrated engines that could make great landers. Here's the Imgur link

2 hours ago, Tyko said:

Have you looked at the recent Near Future Spacecraft update? There are a whole bunch of new pods, some with integrated engines that could make great landers. Here's the Imgur link

I know.  I love these.  But none are dedicated landercans where you can easily (as in the stock cans) see where you are going on the way down.

Peace.

13 hours ago, theJesuit said:

Touching IVAs is out of scope unless I get a dedicated full-stack high fidelity IVA developer (no, laying out props does not count).

It's also worth mentioning that those albums linked are pretty old, and stuff looks better now than it did ;).  

Edited by Nertea

Dang, if only I'd known about this earlier; after seeing the KSP preview for the Poodle, I had a desire to grab the Porkjet engine pack and basically do what you're doing to add in the missing engines on the design doc, and ended up modeling the Mainsail, Boar, and Spark variants over the past few days, not sure what to do with them now. I'm of half a mind to ask if you want or need any more collaborators on this or not, but either way, it's good to know that Porkjet's legacy is in good hands, and I look forward to the final result.

Alright, here's an update showing off the Flea and the Hammer! Two parts, because they're similar and I've kinda shown a version of them before.

The Flea is based on the upper stage of a Minuteman ICBM, which gives the nozzle area a decent amount of character but keeps the part sleek.

jWzUUIz.png

The Hammer is a two segment version with the same nozzle hardware.

hTTjkYO.png

And a pair of ingame shots.

gra8nYf.png

68F1kt0.png

12 hours ago, Raptor9 said:

@Nertea, on the Flea blueprint it points to the "Gas reservoir for thrust vectoring".  Should I assume that's just an aesthetic, non-functional detail in reference to the real-life analogue, or will these SRB's have a gimbaling function?

There was some discussion in our dev group about SRBs being more useful with TVC. Of course, we aren't changing stock itself, but there seemed no harm in modeling gimbal hardware and rigging the models correctly for it - they can easily be used with gimbals with a tiny MM patch. 

Me: The parts looks great, will be very nice to have all the parts with the same style and the magnificent quality of Near Future and all your other mods. You can take how many time you need or want. Your contribution to the game already is immeasurable, and we are in great debt to you.

Me inside: PLZ RELEASE ASAP!!11!1

My eyes have been blessed to witness such existential beauty lol. This is some top quality stuff my laddo, can't wait to see where you go from here.

Also bit of a request could you throw in some swap-able alternative textures to the more traditionally colorful parts to just be grey, black, and white? Like the Probodobodyne HECS2 and the R-12 tank to name two examples. I like my ships to maintain a a uniform color palette throughout the design as a general rule but hey that's just me

I'll pay you in hypothetical money-bills.

56 minutes ago, Vahnskir said:

Also bit of a request could you throw in some swap-able alternative textures to the more traditionally colorful parts to just be grey, black, and white? Like the Probodobodyne HECS2 and the R-12 tank to name two examples. I like my ships to maintain a a uniform color palette throughout the design as a general rule but hey that's just me

The textures are .dds files, that you can easily open and edit with photoshop and the DDS plugin, or other image editors. Once opened, simple color changes are stupidly easy, I do this a lot to change brown-ish tones to gray, or the yellow stripes of monoprop to light gray. This could make your life easier, for all the mods you use :)

17 hours ago, Vahnskir said:

My eyes have been blessed to witness such existential beauty lol. This is some top quality stuff my laddo, can't wait to see where you go from here.

I'll pay you in hypothetical money-bills.

Or you can contribute cold, hard cash to @Nertea in appreciation for your existential beauty experience  :) 

- If you appreciate this project, please consider contributing to my caffeine addiction! I really appreciate it, and also helps justify this time sink to my wife , which results directly in more models.  btn_donate_SM.gif