[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

11 hours ago, cineboxandrew said:

We're trying to keep colliders the same as the stock parts for save compatibility, ESPECIALLY for kraken-bait parts like legs or wheels, so modifying the shape of existing legs is a no-go. I'll keep that in mind for possible Restock+ parts though!

Aww.

If not colliders, then atleast their strength?

On 1/22/2019 at 4:53 AM, Psycho_zs said:

It seems that different exhaust transform names in replaced engines mess up some of the RealPlume Stock patches.

What would be the correct way to ensure compatibility?

A MM patch that is AFTER:ReStock.

With this Thursday update the Restock team brings you... service bays.
By golly gosh these parts. I wouldn't even know where to start when talking about the intense disgust I feel when I place them on a rocket. So we redid them, of course. A few design goals:
  • The parts should work well in a stack, and not stand out with weird colours or textures
  • The parts should nevertheless be defined and be visible as service bays versus a fuel tank
  • The two sizes of bay should be visually distinct
  • A more detailed opening animation would help the parts be attractive
  • Take advantage of normal and specular maps, of course
I think we did some nice work here! The smaller bay is clean and attractive, with minimalist opening mechanisms, while the larger looks and feels heavier. Both bays have model variants, so they can be easily stacked or closed off as you will. The parts call back to the design language of fairings and blend that with white fuel tanks so they can work well together yet be identifiable at a glance!

cAt5r8n.png
84JB7pM.png
a0Lgoim.png
sGbGA7d.png
jbpEcRJ.png
qNhhUmR.png
JtOsb6p.png

7KvSiJL.png
QidiSQB.png

25 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

Does restockblacklist prevent assets from loading, or does it unload them? Or, more important question: does it actually free up memory?

I'll probably go and delete the stock textures myself.  That's what I've done with Ven's and my 1.3.1 install.  Besides PJ's stuff, I don't think anything in my 1.3.1 install is still stock.

Well, there is (very roughly) 100MB difference in KSP process memory (when loaded to main menu) with and without restockblacklist. This is in the ballpark of file size of the listed content (~170MB). I don't know what kind of inflation would the data have (especially textures) when being actually actively used in the game, but the difference is there.

We seem to have an honest blacklist mechanism now! YAY!

52 minutes ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'll probably go and delete the stock textures myself.  That's what I've done with Ven's and my 1.3.1 install.  Besides PJ's stuff, I don't think anything in my 1.3.1 install is still stock. 

Having a list just sitting in GameData is much more handy that removing stuff by hand after every upgrade.

3 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Having a list just sitting in GameData is much more handy that removing stuff by hand after every upgrade.

True, but I enjoy poking around in files.  It's fun for me.  Also, 1.3.1 was a pretty decent release.  I decided to do such things to preserve my ulimate 1.3.1 version.

4 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

Does restockblacklist prevent assets from loading, or does it unload them? Or, more important question: does it actually free up memory?

It prevents them from loading, so they'll never exist in memory

Edited by blowfish

2 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Big question. 

Are the service bays still capable of doubling as ridiculously heat resistant impro capsule?

As usual, not changing functionality with restock

Just now, GrandProtectorDark said:

No, I mean, It was rather ment as question if it still capable of protecting a kerbal just from reentry heat despite the changes to Its model.

That is a gameplay element though, if something worked in stock, it should work with Restock.

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

the Restock team brings you... service bays.

Loving these so much... I've been using Universal Storage 2 bays a ton lately  because I hate stock service bays. It will be so much better when those horrid stock textures can be overwritten.

Keep up the amazing work!

WHERE IS THE PRERELEASE DAMN THESE PARTS ARE GOOD

Those service bays look seamless now! I haven't used them for long time now, just surface attaching them, just because of how bad the looked. The last I used one in my opm career save was when i first went to Duna. Even the Mk2 Lander Can service bays are better than what we have.

4 hours ago, Xurkitree said:

WHERE IS THE PRERELEASE DAMN THESE PARTS ARE GOOD

I'm sure the positive words and hype is appreciated but this mod is still in heavy development and I would presume that the authors would rather it stay within the reaches of the delving few playtesters so that the, in some cases, rather big bugs can be ironed out and resolved before it gets put into the hands of the wider audience. 

Trust me in that there are still some serious design decisions, awkward bugs and issues that are still popping up each day. 

Will RealPlume configs be provided for the new engine models? Especially the 4-bell Poodle. Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

EDIT: Disregard - I guess I should have gone through the Screenshot gallery before asking. Looks great & can't wait.

Edited by Bombaatu

1 hour ago, Bombaatu said:

Will RealPlume configs be provided for the new engine models? Especially the 4-bell Poodle. Inquiring minds want to know... ;)

EDIT: Disregard - I guess I should have gone through the Screenshot gallery before asking. Looks great & can't wait.

Except that's not RealPlume, those are Nert's effects, which while amazing don't really behave in a realistic manner and can't really deviate from stock sound design.

@Nertea Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that I tried very hypothetically to make a RealPlume config for a hypothetical 4-bell poodle model, but I couldn't find a way to make it produce four plumes instead of two. Any clues on how to make it display a custom cluster or somewhere I can edit the config nodes? Hypothetically, of course.

On 1/23/2019 at 11:01 PM, Nertea said:

A MM patch that is AFTER:ReStock.

tried adding :AFTER[ReStock] to Squad selectors in RealPlume-Stock, but MM doesn't like that:

more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: RealPlume-Stock/Squad/liquidEngine1-2/@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]:AFTER[ReStock]

The problem, specifically for Mainsail for example, is that plume originates tens of meters below the engine. My suspicion is that RPS patch assigns plume to  'thrustTransform', and ReStock model does not have that, but has smokePoint, fxTransformCore, fxTransformPlume.

I tried to change it to fxTransformPlume, but plume now literally goes sideways :)

Edit: @Kradgger , well, that is synchronicity. Hehehe

Edited by Psycho_zs

9 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

tried adding :AFTER[ReStock] to Squad selectors in RealPlume-Stock, but MM doesn't like that:

more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: RealPlume-Stock/Squad/liquidEngine1-2/@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]:AFTER[ReStock]

The problem, specifically for Mainsail for example, is that plume originates tens of meters below the engine. My suspicion is that RPS patch assigns plume to  'thrustTransform', and ReStock model does not have that, but has smokePoint, fxTransformCore, fxTransformPlume.

I tried to change it to fxTransformPlume, but plume now literally goes sideways :)

Edit: @Kradgger , well, that is synchronicity. Hehehe

Another quirk with ReStock is that the Vector has a stupidly long scale for the plume, as in +0.1 moves it like 3 feet, while the Mammoth has its scale perfectly fit by default