[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

21 minutes ago, Psycho_zs said:

tried adding :AFTER[ReStock] to Squad selectors in RealPlume-Stock, but MM doesn't like that:

more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: RealPlume-Stock/Squad/liquidEngine1-2/@PART[liquidEngine1-2]:FOR[RealPlume]:NEEDS[SmokeScreen]:AFTER[ReStock]

It can't be both :FOR[RealPlume] and :AFTER[Restock] - those are incompatible.  Just choose one.  the Restock pass will run after RealPlume so you probably want that

39 minutes ago, Kradgger said:

Except that's not RealPlume, those are Nert's effects, which while amazing don't really behave in a realistic manner and can't really deviate from stock sound design.

@Nertea Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that I tried very hypothetically to make a RealPlume config for a hypothetical 4-bell poodle model, but I couldn't find a way to make it produce four plumes instead of two. Any clues on how to make it display a custom cluster or somewhere I can edit the config nodes? Hypothetically, of course.

IIRC, the FX system gets buggy/weird with multiple nozzles. There might be more info here:

I mean... you have to treat this as if there is some re-engineering required. It's already enough of a pain to keep things perfectly compatible with stock, I can't really ensure perfect compatibility with all mods out there. 

6 minutes ago, Nertea said:

I mean... you have to treat this as if there is some re-engineering required. It's already enough of a pain to keep things perfectly compatible with stock, I can't really ensure perfect compatibility with all mods out there.  

That's perfectly understandable. I'm just querying for information that would help me get  everything working on my end.

1 hour ago, blowfish said:

It can't be both :FOR[RealPlume] and :AFTER[Restock] - those are incompatible.  Just choose one.  the Restock pass will run after RealPlume so you probably want that 

OK, no warnings, but now ReStock plume is still visible. How do I treat all these transforms properly? Or did I wrongly diagnosed the problem? I see that in most RealPlume patches thrustTransform is used, including patches for KerbalAtomics and CryoEngines.

54 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Just a question: When this is released, can the parts folder in the Squad folder be deleted to save space? Or would that stop ReStock working?

Pood mentioned in a comment that this would be the case, so I'm assuming don't.

56 minutes ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Just a question: When this is released, can the parts folder in the Squad folder be deleted to save space? Or would that stop ReStock working?

No, but Blowfish made a plugin to prevent redundant stock assets from loading using a blacklist

55 minutes ago, Kradgger said:

Pood mentioned in a comment that this would be the case, so I'm assuming don't.

The SQUAD folder contains more than just part assets and ReStock requires the stock parts to be loaded into the database and then for ReStock to subsequently patch the stock configs. As said above, there is a bundled plugin that prevents the stock texture/model assets from loading into memory saving a little bit of your PC's resources; how much cannot be said until futher down the line with a release candidate really.

3 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

OK, no warnings, but now ReStock plume is still visible. How do I treat all these transforms properly? Or did I wrongly diagnosed the problem? I see that in most RealPlume patches thrustTransform is used, including patches for KerbalAtomics and CryoEngines.

Not sure, I haven't looked into it in detail.  If the thrust transforms did change then this would have to be reflected in the RealPlume config

8 hours ago, Kradgger said:

@Nertea Let's say, hypothetically speaking, that I tried very hypothetically to make a RealPlume config for a hypothetical 4-bell poodle model, but I couldn't find a way to make it produce four plumes instead of two. Any clues on how to make it display a custom cluster or somewhere I can edit the config nodes? Hypothetically, of course.

Ah I thought about this on the way home, and it's because the stock poodle only has two TTs. I did not change this. This is to maximally preserve compatibility. You will need to target the fxTransforms (look in the config files for the exact names)

8 hours ago, Psycho_zs said:

The problem, specifically for Mainsail for example, is that plume originates tens of meters below the engine. My suspicion is that RPS patch assigns plume to  'thrustTransform', and ReStock model does not have that, but has smokePoint, fxTransformCore, fxTransformPlume.

Restock model does have that. However in a lot of cases the scale may be screwed up because of a thing squad did a while ago. You should always target fxTransform and such, because they are correctly scaled, using a rotation parameter as needed to rotate the plume effect.

@Nertea

I've been looking at this thread for the past hour now. let me tell you, your style and care to the coveted stock parts of ksp are absolutely AMAZING!! I've been playing this game since 0.14, and trust me, I definitely agree with your concerns for the inconsistency in style across the game. this pack is what the parts of ksp deserve, and I hope you continue to make some astounding work with this restock initiative. I'm so excited for when you eventually release these parts, but until then, I will wait patiently...

Also, the new FX for the engines are amazing. will they be configured for realplume as well?

5 minutes ago, TheSaint said:

Oh, please tell me you will be reworking the fairings for the heat shields. Because this:

I never understood why anyone uses those things.

ad8screenshot163.png

Edited by Geonovast

10 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Oh, please tell me you will be reworking the fairings for the heat shields. Because this:

10 hours ago, Geonovast said:

You'll probably never dare to not use them ;)

21 hours ago, Geonovast said:

ad8screenshot163.png

I don't think it's very good design when there are parts in the game so ugly that you must use them in specific, hidden ways to avoid looking at them.

21 hours ago, TheSaint said:

Is the worst model in the entire game.

I'm afraid there's a number of other models that compete for that crown. 

On 1/26/2019 at 11:18 AM, justspace103 said:

@Nertea

I've been looking at this thread for the past hour now. let me tell you, your style and care to the coveted stock parts of ksp are absolutely AMAZING!! I've been playing this game since 0.14, and trust me, I definitely agree with your concerns for the inconsistency in style across the game. this pack is what the parts of ksp deserve, and I hope you continue to make some astounding work with this restock initiative. I'm so excited for when you eventually release these parts, but until then, I will wait patiently...

Also, the new FX for the engines are amazing. will they be configured for realplume as well?

Thanks! There is currently some discussion in the thread about RealPlume stuff but we will not be shippping any configurations with this mod. 

New RCS blocks are awesome! Special thank you for 3-way configurations! (and I see what you did there with RV-103 description ;) )

Regarding RCS plumes, they seem to be rather short and slow. Nothing like those flashy fountains, is that something stock FX engine can be crudely beaten into?

Speaking of plumes, what is the difference between fxTransformCore and fxTransformPlume in engines? And which one should I target with the RealPlume patch?

Edited by Psycho_zs

On this Thursday update we're showing the Spectro-Variometer and the HG-5 Relay Antenna. Both of these parts are somewhat iconic shapes, but still in need of some improved models and textures. Some goals here were to keep the original designs as closely as possible but with higher fidelity and better similarity to other parts in their families. The HG-5 is based on the Apollo high gain antenna as well as the Lunar Orbiter spacecraft, and has the same white painted dish front and copper feed as the other relay parts. It also has 3 more alternate deploy positions to make using the part less frustrating, and in Restock+ there is the new HG-20 relay with 4 dishes, so you can recreate the Apollo spacecraft. The Spectro-Variometer I decided was likely intended to be a gas chromatograph, a real world instrument for analyzing the makeup of materials. I had some fun with this since it was one of the few parts where I could get away with fan vents as greebling :P

PFUtn1a.png

UAwPNoy.png

Screenshots thanks to @Poodmund since my laptop doesnt get along very well with graphical mods

iG0qSz6.png

3H9DNXz.png

VvGjYWa.png

LssqINq.png

and a screenshot of the antenna in the VAB showing all the deploy positions available (and I think some unfinished textures oops)

wRRRdZe.png

In addition to the above, here's a little animated .gif showing off the part variants for the antennae (as discussed by cineboxandrew above) to further show how the variants change your options as to how they deploy.

DeadGiantGalapagostortoise.gif

Edited by Poodmund

4 minutes ago, Streetwind said:

Hmmm. Won't that animation clip a lot if folded flat against a spacecraft body? Perhaps it could fold the boom out first, and then flip the dish assembly afterwards?

that is what it does, I guess Pood's gif might be a little confusing on what's the deployed and retracted state. 

1 hour ago, cineboxandrew said:

that is what it does, I guess Pood's gif might be a little confusing on what's the deployed and retracted state. 

I'm squinting at it, and the way the base looks and the way I remember the stock antenna looking gives me the impression that it's the other way around. Of course, that's all based on "the way it looks to me", so who knows. ;)