[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

5 hours ago, Electrocutor said:

@Nertea Are there any thoughts on having an optional add-on that does affect gameplay? i.e. implements part upgrades for a progression of efficiency, power, or what not?

Investigated a few times. Problem is, fixing the game's lopsided turd-like balance is a very major undertaking and probably involves touching everything for every part, from performance to cost to mass, it's a big rabbit hole. Not something I want to get into maintaining. As an add to that, I also think that part upgrades as they are generally used are fundamentally incompatible with the way the stock game is "balanced" - you'd have to take the work to do the rebalance so you could properly integrate upgrades into progression and gameplay loop structure.

Oh and you probably want to fix the tech tree to do this too. Fixing the tech tree though... it's deeper than rearranging parts. You really want to rebuild the science portion completely

Oh wait that's the whole game now. 

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

Oh and you probably want to fix the tech tree to do this too. Fixing the tech tree though... it's deeper than rearranging parts. You really want to rebuild the science portion completely

Oh wait that's the whole game now.  

I LoL'd hard at that :)  Sad, but so true.

I love the game for what it is, but being who I am, its hard not to think of what it could have been with a slightly (or massively?) different direction taken during development of the core (career) gameplay concepts.

IT IS TIME.

This week, let's take the wraps off all of the remaining crewed parts. Starting with the Mk1 Command Pod, which has been redone to our standards. The original Mercury crew vehicle has a really interesting plated-on texture which we were able to replicate. The revamp has nice Restock trademarks, like texture efficiency, and uniformly-coloured windows.. The fairly-pointless different colour schemes were also addressed, if a bit modified from stock. You get a pure black version for maximum Mercury, a black/white reminiscent of the original and a white/grey version if you need that. 

TxiUfB5.png

There's a lot of things called Mk1 in this game, like a lander can. This is probably my favorite part in all of KSP, so I didn't touch it much. Mostly, some extra fidelity was added in the form of small greebles, which include fun little recesses at the bottom of the pod for showing the integrated RCS and Electric Charge storage. In addition you can see the new, standardized Restock hatches on this part. 

eUdyv31.png

And now the one that really gave us some pains. I should mention that all these parts keep original IVAs, we don't want to get into that. This means there are some fairly tight constraints with windows and such... and really, the windows on the Mk2 Lander Can make us all sad. Yeah, they're a little better than they were at first, but still a huge limitation for the part. 

Anyways, I did what I could. Firstly, for the lander version - using more different contrasting texture elements and geometry features it was possible to make it look less like a featureless cylinder and more like the focus of a lander. Common hatch elements were also used, so it isn't he odd man out in terms of its doors. Other nice bits include payload stripes for the service bay and correctly coloured windows.

LhNfJrv.png

The rover was just as much of a pain. This part is really 2 parts in one - a poor choice for variants, but what can we do. After a bunch of false starts, I decided to add some chamfered structural geometry around the core of the part, which really brings out the shapes of the internal pressure vessels. The two-lobed design that follows now really looks like a cockpit vessel plus a core area, with a lab/service bit at the back. That's pretty much what the IVA shows too. 

zmPiAaO.png

Whew, so let's move on to the station parts. I have less to talk about here because these models (or variants of them) have been in Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux for about a year now. Essentially, I found that a layered thermal blanket look was a really good match for the slat-style textures on the original Hitchhiker. This was used to create a look that is very similar in style to the original parts but has a lot more fidelity. New since SSPXr though are a number of tuneups. In particular, applying a reflective foil shader to the endcaps has created great results. Additionally, common hatches and airlocks tie these parts together with the command pods. 

zFENxBO.png

jIz7uaF.png

dRFOEyA.png

And now, a rapid fire dispensation of screenshots from @Poodmund and @Tyko!

2R2PyJg.png

yfTIaJ9.png

R2W0nwI.png

h1RfSg0.png

a3Hj1QX.png

MAq9gu8.png

BPGPpg0.jpg

7j20cPG.png

That concludes today's update. Or does it?

There's one more thing. An initial version of the project will be released early next week. 

Edited by Nertea

NEXT WEEK!! FINALLY! WE CAN LOOK AT THE PARTS THAT HAVE BEEN DONE IN ALL THEIR RESTOCK GLORY!!

Now I've calmed down, thank you so much @Nertea, @cineboxandrew, @Beale, @riocrokite, @passinglurker, @blowfish, @Tyko and @Poodmund for all your hard work, and I wish you all good luck in the continuing development of ReStock, and ReStock+ up to and after ReStock 1.0!

Edited by Barzon Kerman

7 minutes ago, Nertea said:

...this means there are some fairly tight constraints with windows and such... and really, the windows on the Mk2 Lander Can make us all sad. Yeah, they're a little better than they were at first, but still a huge limitation for the part.

So the long pondered question has been answered... it seems as though you can, in fact, polish a turd.

@Nertea and Team, you guys are so passionate about this game and what you are doing here is truly a work of love and passion and the results cannot be understated. I hope the work that you guys are doing will inspire others and Squad as you are really raising the bar of excellence. o7fPXp43Y.png

2 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Does @Nertea, or anyone else who is working on ReStock have a Patreon, because I have a bit of spare cash, and would like to support at least one of the wonderful people working on this?

That's awesome! I know there's a donate button on @Nertea's Near Future Technologies page:

5 hours ago, Nertea said:

There's one more thing. An initial version of the project will be released early next week. 

Nice, very Steve-Job-moment right there. :cool:

Can't wait to see these parts in action -- so I can finally stop using Ven's Stock Revamp!

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

IT IS TIME

This made me wonder.  Time for release.  I held my breath as I read through... thinking that the time is only Friday NZST (daylight savings still too).  My hopes fizzled...

Until this:

10 hours ago, Nertea said:

and I WHOOPED for joy.

Also I like what you've done with the place (looking around the Mk2 and kicking the attached tyres).  I'll be in to pick it up next week then?

Thank you peeps. 

Peace.

I just want to give my thanks to everyone working ont his project, everything looks so awesome. Thanks a lot.

This kind of stuff is what I talk to my friends when they ask me why am I still playing KSP after more than 1000 hours of playtime according to Steam. I tell them, the community, it's awesome.

Thanks a lot.

17 hours ago, Nertea said:

Whew, so let's move on to the station parts. I have less to talk about here because these models (or variants of them) have been in Stockalike Station Parts Expansion Redux for about a year now. Essentially, I found that a layered thermal blanket look was a really good match for the slat-style textures on the original Hitchhiker. This was used to create a look that is very similar in style to the original parts but has a lot more fidelity. New since SSPXr though are a number of tuneups. In particular, applying a reflective foil shader to the endcaps has created great results. Additionally, common hatches and airlocks tie these parts together with the command pods. 

I really like all these designs and can't wait for the mod to be released. I have a request concerning Hitchhiker, Mobile Lab and Cupola though. They seem to have self-consistent design which specializes on space station parts, with all these handrails and thermal blankets. SSPXr increases this specialization even more. These parts look fragile as real space station parts would be.

However, I often use these parts for spaceships, bases and rovers and I think that these crafts require more sturdier look. Thermal blankets won't stand air pressure of reentry or sharp rocks coming from under rover wheels. I'd like to see "hull" texture variant, which would match with other "hull" or "sturdy" parts (fuel tanks, service bays, command pods etc). This variant would lack encircling handrails (they don't have functionality in game anyway); foil and blankets would be replaced with standard plating.

I believe that the idea of second "hull" variant is in agreement with the course of the mod and I hope other people will support it. Anyway, even if you would't make it, the mod is great and I would definitely install it!

18 hours ago, Barzon Kerman said:

Does @Nertea, or anyone else who is working on ReStock have a Patreon, because I have a bit of spare cash, and would like to support at least one of the wonderful people working on this?

At the moment there is nothing formal, but if you check any of my threads there are donation links - label things as you want them distributed. 

17 hours ago, RocketPCGaming said:

@Nertea and Team, you guys are so passionate about this game and what you are doing here is truly a work of love and passion and the results cannot be understated. I hope the work that you guys are doing will inspire others and Squad as you are really raising the bar of excellence. o7

Thanks!

11 hours ago, Nightside said:

Why was this your favorite part?

It is very well designed. It has the visibility a lander requires, a shape that is detailed enough to be distinct, but simple enough to not impair design work. 

13 hours ago, scottadges said:

Nice, very Steve-Job-moment right there. :cool:

Can't wait to see these parts in action -- so I can finally stop using Ven's Stock Revamp!

I don't think our completeness is at Ven's level now, but it's probably... 75% of it? 

19 hours ago, Nertea said:

That concludes today's update. Or does it?

Holy $#@! that looks great.

Nicely done! Can't wait.