[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

Dude, you really, really need to stop being so passive-aggressive in your requests to mod makers, but since I first encountered you, I feel you have got a lot better, but you still have a long way to go. :) 

3 hours ago, desert said:

I really like all these designs and can't wait for the mod to be released. I have a request concerning Hitchhiker, Mobile Lab and Cupola though. They seem to have self-consistent design which specializes on space station parts, with all these handrails and thermal blankets. SSPXr increases this specialization even more. These parts look fragile as real space station parts would be.

However, I often use these parts for spaceships, bases and rovers and I think that these crafts require more sturdier look. Thermal blankets won't stand air pressure of reentry or sharp rocks coming from under rover wheels. I'd like to see "hull" texture variant, which would match with other "hull" or "sturdy" parts (fuel tanks, service bays, command pods etc). This variant would lack encircling handrails (they don't have functionality in game anyway); foil and blankets would be replaced with standard plating.

I believe that the idea of second "hull" variant is in agreement with the course of the mod and I hope other people will support it. Anyway, even if you would't make it, the mod is great and I would definitely install it!

Worth mentioning that the blankets and structure actually decrease fragility, particularly vs MMOD. You are really looking for *more* fragile parts (though possibly more mass efficient...).  I see what you mean though, however it's asking to change the actual visual style of the parts a lot more than we would like. I don't particularly like texture variants, generally pretty reluctant to add them. They are a lot of work and increase the memory footprint of a part by double in most cases, except where commonality is possible. It was only after much whining that the SSPXr toggleable endcap rails were implemented. Additional variants for Restock are provided sparingly or only in cases where the workload is low or necessity is great. Sorry :(.

I fully expect that if Squad ever gets around to these parts, they'll screw around and break the look completely (probably with that hideous Mk2 lander door). At this point they may be revisited further.

16 hours ago, Streetwind said:

You could conceivably use content from both in parallel.

I for one plan on using both ReStock and VSR. I have started messing around with it and simply installing both mods will cause problems (as expected). I know the maintainers of VSR were able to successfully implement the Variant switch to allow for stock Squad textures/colors and VSR colors, but only on some parts. As of right now, with both ReStock and VSR installed without messing around with anything, many of the parts that utilize the Variant switch overlap each other, while the simple 'delete current Model' and 'add new Model' parts invariably end up with the VSR textures since MM applies patches alphabetically unless told otherwise. The Mk1 Lander Can is an example of the latter. You end up with the VSR lander can instead of the Restock, simply because VSR overwrites the Model last.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will be able to come up with an elegant implementation of both using Variant switch. Looking at the config files, both VSR and ReStock go about their business in a similar fashion, but are also subtly different. As I understand it, it wont be a simple MM patch to integrate both mods together using the Variant switch Module due to peculiarities of the Module itself.

4 hours ago, Stratickus said:

I for one plan on using both ReStock and VSR. I have started messing around with it and simply installing both mods will cause problems (as expected). I know the maintainers of VSR were able to successfully implement the Variant switch to allow for stock Squad textures/colors and VSR colors, but only on some parts. As of right now, with both ReStock and VSR installed without messing around with anything, many of the parts that utilize the Variant switch overlap each other, while the simple 'delete current Model' and 'add new Model' parts invariably end up with the VSR textures since MM applies patches alphabetically unless told otherwise. The Mk1 Lander Can is an example of the latter. You end up with the VSR lander can instead of the Restock, simply because VSR overwrites the Model last.

Hopefully someone smarter than I will be able to come up with an elegant implementation of both using Variant switch. Looking at the config files, both VSR and ReStock go about their business in a similar fashion, but are also subtly different. As I understand it, it wont be a simple MM patch to integrate both mods together using the Variant switch Module due to peculiarities of the Module itself.

I'll just probably do it manually myself.  It's not really something I'd expect either mod maker to work out.  They'e both essentially solving the same problem, so they're bound to conflict with each other.

12 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I'll just probably do it manually myself.  It's not really something I'd expect either mod maker to work out.  They'e both essentially solving the same problem, so they're bound to conflict with each other.

I've already started doing it manually. You are absolutely correct, I do not expect either mod maker to do it, I would imagine it to be a large amount of unnecessary work. Like I said, the conflict with each other was expected, so not really a problem per se. Only a problem in the sense that I am trying to come up with an elegant way to implement the two mods together using MM, but I'm not sure that is possible based off what I've seen with the Variant Module.

* furiously checking watch & calendar *

(no pressure, just excited!)

On 3/3/2019 at 10:40 PM, Stratickus said:

the simple 'delete current Model' and 'add new Model' parts invariably end up with the VSR textures since MM applies patches alphabetically unless told otherwise. The Mk1 Lander Can is an example of the latter

For those of us who are super-excited for Restock but also like certain parts of Ven's, is it appropriate to start a discussion here about how to swap this around manually? (Obviously, don't want to hijack this thread talking about another mod)

Or maybe some awesomely talented & motivated community member can come up with the MM config or something code-wise (sadly, I have no skillz there) that could prioritize Restock for all its sexy textures & stuff, but then leave anything that Restock *doesn't* touch to stay as Ven's? Does that make sense? 

Edited by scottadges

22 hours ago, scottadges said:

is it appropriate to start a discussion here about how to swap this around manually?

Once you learn about how KSP configs work, it's not to hard.  You can look at the MM patches for Ven's and see what it changes.  I did this for 1.3.1 and got rid of the unnecessary Squad parts.  Speaking of unnecessary, doing it manually like this probably was, but it was fun and I learned a few things.  So, totally worth it.

57 minutes ago, Danilo Coelho said:

Is these new antennas going to be compatible with remote tech?

Talk to the RemoteTech devs. ReStock will not provide the configs for that.

1 hour ago, Danilo Coelho said:

Is there plans for a full revamp of the original stock parts, like in Ven Stock Revamp's mod?

That's the idea of ReStock. It makes all stock parts beautiful, as if made by one person with one vision, yet made by several. Look at the release albums in the release thread.

32 minutes ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

So, REALLY like it. But i think the stock Terrier is MUCH better. What can i do to keep stock parts? 

If a part isn't to your preference, as I understand it, you can go into Patches and delete the patch that changes the terrier, and then create a restockwhitelist file as described in the readme to allow the plugin to load the original terrier's files.

26 minutes ago, Eaten by Black Hole said:

So, REALLY like it. But i think the stock Terrier is MUCH better. What can i do to keep stock parts? 

1.) Install ReStock
2.) Open GameData/ReStock/Patches/Engine/restock-engines-liquid-125.cfg in your text editor of choice
3.) Press CTRL+F to search for "Terrier"
4.) Delete the entire block of code, all the way down to the start of the next part (the Reliant in this case)
5.) Save and close
6.) Open the ReStock readme.txt file and follow the instructions therein to create a whitelist file
7.) Whitelist the Squad\Parts\Engine\liquidEngineLV-909 folder
8.) You now have an unmodified stock Terrier while everything else that ReStock ships still overwrites and unloads stock assets.