[WIP] Restock: KSP Part Art Revamp (Released March 06)

Nertea

25 minutes ago, winnermah said:

Will planets be remodelled as well in the future? And if yes, will clouds be added to Kerbin, Eve, Duna and Laythe?

Nope, Restock's focus is on parts.  Modifying planets requires a ton of complicated plugin code and there are already mods out there that do this quite well (both the plugin code side and the visuals side).

50 minutes ago, blowfish said:

Modifying planets requires a ton of complicated plugin code

Quite the opposite, Once you got Kopernicus Installed, modifying planets only requires a few small MM patches and maybe a new texture file.
(I personally would say it's Easier to make planets than parts, as you don't need Modeling software for Planets or actual programming knowledge for plugins).  But that as you said, isn't the point of Restock. Fancy Part Reskins, that is what the Restock team have have made (and did very good).

1 hour ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Quite the opposite, Once you got Kopernicus Installed, modifying planets only requires a few small MM patches and maybe a new texture file.
(I personally would say it's Easier to make planets than parts, as you don't need Modeling software for Planets or actual programming knowledge for plugins).

Thats exactly what Kopernicus is. A complicated plugin that presents an easy way to modify them while keeping all the heavy lifting hidden out of sight.

Edited by DeltaDizzy

2 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

(I personally would say it's Easier to make planets than parts, as you don't need Modeling software for Planets or actual programming knowledge for plugins).  But that as you said, isn't the point of Restock. Fancy Part Reskins, that is what the Restock team have have made (and did very good).

I guess I also should have clarified that adding more dependencies to Restock is basically out of the question.  Of course Kopernicus was one of the mods I was referring to in my last statement.  And Kopernicus doesn't get you clouds.

Edited by blowfish

18 hours ago, blowfish said:

I guess I also should have clarified that adding more dependencies to Restock is basically out of the question.  Of course Kopernicus was one of the mods I was referring to in my last statement.  And Kopernicus doesn't get you clouds.

The way your comment was worded, Implied to me, that making the planets themself, requires you to write complicated code. Not that you need complicated code to write the plugin that allows planets.

20 hours ago, DeltaDizzy said:

Thats exactly what Kopernicus is. A complicated plugin that presents an easy way to modify them while keeping all the heavy lifting hidden out of sight.

I see it in the way Kopernicus/ContractConfigurator/EVE/Modulemanager,  those installed alone, don't do much if anything at all, as do Planet/Contract/cloud/patch mods alone.
But the plugins are already existent and functional. So you wouldn't need to code anything new to make something
So I think it is a bit redundant to add "coding the planet plugin" to the list of things required for modifying  a planet

3 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

The way your comment was worded, Implied to me, that making the planets themself, requires you to write complicated code. Not that you need complicated code to write the plugin that allows planets.

On 3/25/2019 at 12:49 PM, blowfish said:

there are already mods out there that do this quite well (both the plugin code side and the visuals side)

I haven't dived too deep into Kopernicus's code, but my understanding is that it needs to muck around with KSP's internals in several areas to support modifying existing planets.  Of course, Kopernicus supports a wide array of solar system modifying functions, so maybe the part to just replace terrain textures isn't too complicated.  But either way, out of scope for Restock and probably not code that should be duplicated within the world of KSP mods.

I held off on Restock at first. Because I imagined it to be a very “heavy” mod. Too many big changes and I thought I wouldn’t like it... I was very wrong! Super clean redesigns of parts with some amazing textures behind them. I haven’t seen everything just yet. But I am super impressed so far! Fantastic work guys!

Edited by V8jester

23 hours ago, blowfish said:

I haven't dived too deep into Kopernicus's code, but my understanding is that it needs to muck around with KSP's internals in several areas to support modifying existing planets.  Of course, Kopernicus supports a wide array of solar system modifying functions, so maybe the part to just replace terrain textures isn't too complicated.  But either way, out of scope for Restock and probably not code that should be duplicated within the world of KSP mods.

I think it could be good to link some good visual mods in the release thread, though. A list of HD overhauls made to similar quality standard and covering different areas of the game would be helpful. 

Edited by Guest