tater

NASA CLPS program (and crew lander program?)

Recommended Posts

Figured this should get a thread because there are 9 cool little spaceships in this category:

The big player (makes all the other robot landers, why not these):

 

And the new guys:

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Edited by tater
  • Like 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Feels like NASA is no longer the one to build the rockets, they buy launches.

They never were the ones to build them, but now they’re taking a completely hands-off approach to spacecraft design.

Although I really do wonder how many of these will fail and how many of those that succeed will be bought out by certain familiar names, as happens to start-ups in other industries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, DDE said:

They never were the ones to build them, but now they’re taking a completely hands-off approach to spacecraft design.

Although I really do wonder how many of these will fail and how many of those that succeed will be bought out by certain familiar names, as happens to start-ups in other industries.

Well, actually that is the whole point. Some will fail, some will succeed, and that is why NASA hired 9 startups to build new moon landers. Even if they were bought, the expensive R and D is done. The big names will provide the tooling at a low cost.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This... sounds like the X-prize ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

Feels like NASA is no longer the one to build the rockets, they buy launches.

What is great solution for problem NASA have. NASA should set goals and missions, but their implementation and selection of technology should be addressed by the private sector focused on profits. This approach will end up reinventing the wheel and never-ending research into new technologies that will never be used.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, YNM said:

This... sounds like the X-prize ?

That’s essentially the first thing that popped into my head when I saw this too. Some of these guys are even teams who participlated in the X-prize, such as master and moon express. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Ozymandias_the_Goat said:

Some of these guys are even teams who participlated in the X-prize, such as master and moon express. 

Yeah those are the ones that stood out on me first.

 

In any case, good for them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, YNM said:

Yeah those are the ones that stood out on me first.

 

In any case, good for them.

Yeah, 1 project for 2 prizes/contracts. 

 

 

 

Then BFR comes along.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Xd the great said:

1 project for 2 prizes/contracts

To the best of my knowledge, Lunar X-prize is entirely cancelled, so this is their second chance.

Also not sure how BFR relates to small probes, sure it can launch a bunch but then you still need to make a bunch, which this thing is helping.

EDIT : only the cash prize was withdrawn.

Edited by YNM

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, YNM said:

To the best of my knowledge, Lunar X-prize is entirely cancelled, so this is their second chance.

Also not sure how BFR relates to small probes, sure it can launch a bunch but then you still need to make a bunch, which this thing is helping.

What-at?

Cancelled?

Stupid google. Lets use IE.

Well, a bfr flyby with small probes sounds nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Xd the great said:

Cancelled?

EDIT : Only the cash prize was withdrawn. It already ran from 2007 to 2018, pretty long.

But yeah, now they'll have a chance at another funding, which is good.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Don't forget my entry into the contest.

Tsuyu_Asui.png

Edited by NSEP
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, kerbiloid said:

Who said about a prize?

I was commenting on the participants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/29/2018 at 4:22 PM, tater said:

Figured this should get a thread because there are 9 cool little spaceships in this category:

There are 9 very cool illustrations of space craft.  Other than Lockheed, none of the companies have (AFAIK) flown any hardware of note.  Nor are these contracts to produce hardware, they're contracts to (essentially) write proposals.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DerekL1963 said:

There are 9 very cool illustrations of space craft.  Other than Lockheed, none of the companies have (AFAIK) flown any hardware of note.  Nor are these contracts to produce hardware, they're contracts to (essentially) write proposals.

True enough. Of the group, Masten and Firefly are the ones to watch (no need to watch LockMart, we just watched them land on Mars), I think. Masten has quite a bit of actual hardware.

The whole point of this round is to try and broaden the field of possible contractors for landers.

(some of the companies don't even have illustrations of spacecraft yet, lol)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 1:19 PM, Cassel said:

What is great solution for problem NASA have. NASA should set goals and missions, but their implementation and selection of technology should be addressed by the private sector focused on profits. This approach will end up reinventing the wheel and never-ending research into new technologies that will never be used.

The only "profits" in the space sector so far, other than telecom satellites, is having NASA or the military pay for launches. In the end, it's always the taxpayer that foots the bill.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nibb31 said:

The only "profits" in the space sector so far, other than telecom satellites, is having NASA or the military pay for launches. In the end, it's always the taxpayer that foots the bill.

Problem is how much money goes per single launch, right? Private sector is going to do same job cheaper, means less taxpayer money will be burned by rockets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, Nibb31 said:

"profits"

*benefits

The profits are on the companies. The benefits are for everyonenb.

 

(nb : hopefully.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Commercial crew lander post removed to not derail this (assuming there is eventually more content here).

 

Edited by tater

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NASA live also talking about CLPS... lol

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now