A "KSP Loading..." Preview: The Rockomax RE-L10 “Poodle” Engine Revamp

SQUAD

Yeah I quite like, the two-nozzle seems the only solution to keeping the height right. The height is important too for using it for landers. Im not bothered by the red, gotta keep in mind color is relative and it's against a blue background which really punches that color. Out of curiosity what is that treatment for IRL?

Edited by Pthigrivi

1 hour ago, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah I quite like, the two-nozzle seems the only solution to keeping the height right. The height is important too for using it for landers. Im not bothered by the red, gotta keep in mind color is relative and it's against a blue background which really punches that color. Out of curiosity what is that treatment for IRL?

I think those are ablative nozzles. I'm not sure though.

Looks like the centaur: 

800px-Centaur_rocket_stage.jpg

tumblr_inline_pj0m8lK0Kk1rr2wit_540.jpg

(I guess people have already said that it looks like the rl10, but...)

Anyway, I have to say that for a long time the poor poodle has been the most ugly part in our fine repository, and it’s great to see all of the engines being revamped. Hopefully its friend the terrier will get a revamp as well.

Edited by Ozymandias_the_Goat

I like it!  Well done.

If you own Making History, then the Poodle revamp makes perfect sense as you've already got an engine that looks very similar in the LV-T91 Cheetah.  I can assure you, the engine bell color is not offputting at all when you play with it; it looks great in game to me.  This gets bonus marks for staying consistent with the existing "new" artwork from the DLC.

3DTmE0l.png

In addition, I would love to see a compact or even a "Truss Mount" version for the Poodle like the Bobcat's shown below, as the Engine Plates make using compact versions a joy. Here you could imagine a 2x Poodle for heavier landers:

zIwnnL4.png

(even though this just duplicates and doesn't mirror then engines like I think it should)  ;)

Edited by klesh

19 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Huge? No. Problem? Yes.

The question is, which problem is bigger, making its primary use case harder, or making it fit with some players' personal styling choices?

Hm, but how exactly does it make its primary use harder? Its primary use is being a vacuum-rated engine for last stages.

56 minutes ago, lajoswinkler said:

Hm, but how exactly does it make its primary use harder? Its primary use is being a vacuum-rated engine for last stages.

And as a lander engine for large ships on large worlds. As any vacuum engine can function at the "generic space engine" many (myself included) feel that working as a 2.5m lander engine makes the Poodle particularly unique.

17 hours ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

Looking at the above pic.
A quad Poodle would be looking a lot better visually than a twin poodle.

Agreed, maybe even shorter since the nozzles dont have to be as big? Maybe have that be a seperate engine? RB-5 Chinchilla/Chihuahua/Corgi perhaps?

2 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

And as a lander engine for large ships on large worlds. As any vacuum engine can function at the "generic space engine" many (myself included) feel that working as a 2.5m lander engine makes the Poodle particularly unique.

I never used this engine for landers so I can't comment on that. So far, smaller ones did the job perfectly.

On 12/4/2018 at 6:46 AM, lajoswinkler said:

I never used this engine for landers so I can't comment on that. So far, smaller ones did the job perfectly.

Which engines are you using to land 50 ton landers? are you using clusters?

1 hour ago, Gapone said:

:P   Mk16 parachute hasn't changed since 0.6.5.  :P

I said ONE OF, not THE. I know that the parachute hasn't changed, and tbh, I hope it never does. There isn't a single thing wrong with it. :D 

The Poodle was long overdue for an overhaul, as is the Mainsail. I'm torn on the Skipper though... It's a pretty decent model, and I wouldn't mind it if it remained. But if it changed, then... *shrugs*

(And before anyone else tries to point it out, thinking that they're a "smart" person... yes, I know the winglets haven't changed much, either. Again, there's nothing wrong with those as they are.)

3 hours ago, Tyko said:

Which engines are you using to land 50 ton landers? are you using clusters?

I've never used Poodle as a lander engine either.  It was strictly a transfer engine for within the Kerbin system, which has since been completely outclassed by the Wolfhound.

I guess my landers are usually always as tiny and light as can be.  On the rare occasion I land a mining rig or somesuch, I guess I'd be clustering LV909s so as to be even shorter than a Pooddle. I'm probably inclined to do that even moreso now that Engine Plates make it easier.

On the topic of new models for engines, we saw that the Spark's new model's nozzle will glow as it runs for a period of time. Will this be applied to the Poodle as well? As well as the engines from MH, which currently are missing nozzle glow (I realise that for certain engines, glowing nozzles are non realistic or unhistorical, but surely some of those from MH should glow?).

Edited by V7 Aerospace

Awesome how about the stats and the effects will the stats be better? and the effects wil probably 2 engine exhaust 

On 12/4/2018 at 3:23 AM, GrandProtectorDark said:

Looking at the above pic.
A quad Poodle would be looking a lot better visually than a twin poodle.

i do like the twin poodle better.its our opinion what we like

14 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

The Poodle was long overdue for an overhaul, as is the Mainsail. I'm torn on the Skipper though... It's a pretty decent model, and I wouldn't mind it if it remained. But if it changed, then... *shrugs*

If they give them artpasses, then their collider will probably have to be made faithful to their model rather than being a 2.5m cylinder or whatever it is now.

I'm down if that's the case.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.