SQUAD

A "KSP Loading..." Preview: The Rockomax RE-L10 “Poodle” Engine Revamp

Recommended Posts

Oh yeah, I forgot to opine directly on the model. Look at me - being on the internet and not lobbing my opinions everywhere.

Anyway, I think it looks alright. I don't mind it being two nozzle (I would support a rename to the Twin Poodle perhaps), although I agree that because it IS two-nozzle it should bring roll control. A lot of traditionally laid out rockets with, say, liquid boosters and gimballed engines on them naturally have roll control on the first stage, then you get to the second stage and rolling becomes very difficult unless you've packed in powerful RCS or reaction wheels. So a twin-engine upper stage would do well for that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/30/2018 at 11:12 AM, RoverDude said:

It's not an unknown color for engine bells ;)

Image result for lr-91 rocket engine

While that is the case, this is an ablative coating, used primarily for engines you would only start once. I feel that the poodle should have a regeneratively cooled nozzle given its use as a lander engine by many players. Still a massive improvement over basing it off a solid rocket motor though.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@RoverDude So this new mesh is essentially for the Titan II Gemini Rocket? The one that had the dual engine first stage?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, NovaSilisko said:

I agree that because it IS two-nozzle it should bring roll control. A lot of traditionally laid out rockets with, say, liquid boosters and gimballed engines on them naturally have roll control on the first stage, then you get to the second stage and rolling becomes very difficult unless you've packed in powerful RCS or reaction wheels. So a twin-engine upper stage would do well for that.

Not to mention it would give it something - anything - over the Wolfhound :)

Wolfhound as workhorse and (Twin) Poodle as landing or when you want roll control (like say for precise landing).

I like Twin Poodle too. Matches Twin Boar though it implies the single poodle still exists.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Skywalket said:

@RoverDude So this new mesh is essentially for the Titan II Gemini Rocket? The one that had the dual engine first stage?

I don't think so, there's already a 1.875m Titan II engine analogue in Making History. The Poodle is more an upper stage engine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 hours ago, MaverickSawyer said:

:O

Hey... I've actually HANDLED that EXACT engine! That's at the Aerospace Museum of California! I was a docent there back in 2009-2010.

 

Back on topic, though... LOVE the new design. I've barely used the Poodle for some time just because it's so damned ugly compared to the rest of the stuff available. This, though, will absolutely wind up getting used... it's gorgeous! :wub:

I volunteered there this summer,  definetly our engine and building,  however i dont remember any biplanes being on the floor of the exibiht hall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, insert_name said:

I volunteered there this summer,  definetly our engine and building,  however i dont remember any biplanes being on the floor of the exibiht hall.

Oh, the Stearman? They may have it in storage.

Also, ask if they still have the black and orange one. I can't remember what the model was, but it was definitely one of a kind, literally.

 

Back on topic... Why so much hate for the new design? I mean, yeah, it's a change, but it's a much needed one, imo. It's one of the oldest models still remaining, alongside the landing legs and the other 2.5m engines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Lupi said:

As far as i can gather, all of the revamps have to fit into the same dimensions as the original parts. So, the mk2 landercan is the same size now as before, the sparks, adapters, the pods, rockomax tanks, 1.25m tanks, anything. Making the poodle longer wasn't an option in keeping with that.

The engine base is to big in its current form (not the revamp) so simpily make the nozzle longer and reduce the base

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Cheif Operations Director said:

so simpily make the nozzle longer and reduce the base

...what base? we're looking at the same engine, right? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow, once we used to say that the Poodle sucks and we need a revamp, and when we got the revamp, people are saying that its doesn't look like the 'old poodle'

THE OLD POODLE ISNT A PROPER ENGINE BE HAPPY WE HAVE A GOOD LOOKING REVAMP BOI

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the design, but I’ll cast my vote with the folks who aren’t crazy about the nozzle color. 

Also not a fan off the rollcage attachment point, would rather have something more solid to hide the interiors of the part above it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, MaxPeck said:

Also not a fan off the rollcage attachment point, would rather have something more solid to hide the interiors of the part above it. 

Yea, good point. This is yet another case where it would be better to see it when snapped to other parts it's likely to by used with. 

I think it does need to have a solid base to cover up whatever is above it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, MaxPeck said:

I like the design, but I’ll cast my vote with the folks who aren’t crazy about the nozzle color. 

Also not a fan off the rollcage attachment point, would rather have something more solid to hide the interiors of the part above it. 

See, I don't mind a different nozzle colour, I just think it should be a bit less saturated.

As for the "rollcage", this is really a matter of taste. I for one quite like that kind of bare look to engines, looks cool to me. Though in this instance I don't think some more solidity would look bad on this part at all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gydra54 said:

See, I don't mind a different nozzle colour, I just think it should be a bit less saturated.

As for the "rollcage", this is really a matter of taste. I for one quite like that kind of bare look to engines, looks cool to me. Though in this instance I don't think some more solidity would look bad on this part at all.

I'm not bothered by the bare look, but it could still use a flat cap at the top to cover the end of whatever part is above it. Lots of parts have ugly end caps and those would all show through the open top of the current Poodle design

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One black nozzle. It's all that i want.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Gapone said:

One black nozzle. It's all that i want.

But then they'd be different colors

Just now, MrChumley said:

LEAVE THE POODLE ALONE!

I agree. now that it's fixed, leave it alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/1/2018 at 3:01 PM, Rover6428 said:

ROVER 6428

fPuOSKe.pngReUzrSA.pngbWHk4oN.png D9x1P9I.png?1Rover6428

 

Sorry for the completely unrelated post, but I spent way too long trying to figure out what word that was. The closest I got was "DATOT" which made no sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Holy cow, everyone. Take off the rose-tinted nostalgia goggles for a minute. The Poodle, for all its usefulness, was an ugly, unrealistic engine in desperate need of a revamp. It has now been revamped, and the new textures are a marked improvement, as well as being distinctive and pretty realistic. I like it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it looks way better than the old engine. If I had one thing I would like different, it would be the bell shape. For some reason, it looks a little bit short. However, considering the restrictions on the design (height, compatibility) it looks good. It's definitely better than the old design, which, even if you liked the overall design, was showing its age in style.

On gimbals: It's interesting to note that the porkjet revamp version also had all the nozzles gimballing as one unit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

;.; two nozzle poodle.. i can't imagine it...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, Gapone said:

;.; two nozzle poodle.. i can't imagine it...

What’s so bad about it? It’s a lot more realistic than the current version and still fits into the compact profile.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
42 minutes ago, Gapone said:

;.; two nozzle poodle.. i can't imagine it...

You don't have to.

On 11/30/2018 at 2:00 PM, SQUAD said:

image

 

Edited by 5thHorseman

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.