Where are the clouds in EVE and SVE?

I used to have clouds, and now I do not.

While I've seen some discussions about this around the forums, it is really hard to pick through the pages upon pages of other stuff and figure out what is going on. Also, not being very code savvy, a lot of it went over my head.

I used to run Environmental Visual Enhancements, Stock Visual Enhancements, Stock Terrain and Scatterer and everything looked lovely. Now, not so much.  I tried deleting SVE and SVT and running only EVE and adding the configs (which you are not supposed to add if using SVE);  no luck.   I did notice this weird "invalid name" message (see photo below).

I've posted this in the general modded support forum, because I am not even clear where the culprit is, and as mentioned above, it is easier to have this in its own discussion. 

Is this just a 1.5.1 thing and we are stuck with it for the time being?

QLu37Us.png

15 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

Is this just a 1.5.1 thing and we are stuck with it for the time being? 

It's just a 'don't install the stock configs along with SVE' thing ;)

The screenshot shows that the config points to the 'BoulderCo' folder, which is used by the stock configs from EVE. Get rid of it and you should be fine.

edit: You may want to delete the modulemanage.configcache as well.

edit2: Oh wait...is the screenshot from the install without SVE and just the stock configs?

Edited by 4x4cheesecake

On 12/2/2018 at 9:48 AM, 4x4cheesecake said:

It's just a 'don't install the stock configs along with SVE' thing ;)

The screenshot shows that the config points to the 'BoulderCo' folder, which is used by the stock configs from EVE. Get rid of it and you should be fine.

edit: You may want to delete the modulemanage.configcache as well.

edit2: Oh wait...is the screenshot from the install without SVE and just the stock configs?

Yeah, I deleted SVE after reading the instructions more carefully. It is possible I made some mistake somewhere, but, I had no issues before. 

1 minute ago, Klapaucius said:

Yeah, I deleted SVE after reading the instructions more carefully. It is possible I made some mistake somewhere, but, I had no issues before. 

I see.

Where is your 'BoulderCo' folder located and does it actually contain the texture files? For the red marked files, it should be:

• GameData
    • EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
    • BoulderCo
      • Atmosphere
        • Textures
          • fairN.png
          • fairP.png
          • detail1.dds

There are more files in there but your screenshot shows that these files cannot be found. If anything is correct and in the right place but the clouds are still not working, please upload a log file.

By the way, regarding the 'invalid name' message: In this case, you can ignore it. By default, the editor loads the name of the running config there, so the name is invalid to create another config with the same name. Just append another character and the editor will provide 2 more buttons in this place (one to create a new config, the other to rename the loaded config).

27 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

I see.

Where is your 'BoulderCo' folder located and does it actually contain the texture files? For the red marked files, it should be:

• GameData
    • EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements
    • BoulderCo
      • Atmosphere
        • Textures
          • fairN.png
          • fairP.png
          • detail1.dds

There are more files in there but your screenshot shows that these files cannot be found. If anything is correct and in the right place but the clouds are still not working, please upload a log file.

By the way, regarding the 'invalid name' message: In this case, you can ignore it. By default, the editor loads the name of the running config there, so the name is invalid to create another config with the same name. Just append another character and the editor will provide 2 more buttons in this place (one to create a new config, the other to rename the loaded config).

They are all there. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about uploading a log file?

Also, it looks like it only affects the stock system-I noticed Laythe has no clouds either.  However, with planet packs, there seems to be no problem.  This is a screenshot of the VAB and runway from the Before Kerbin planet pack, using the same versions of everything --mods, KSP 1.5.1 etc. in a fresh install. You can see the clouds are present.  Also, you can see below in the snip from the Gamedata folder that I had both SVE and SVT in there with no issues.

Keyukj9.png

Before Kerbin game date folder:

v5xm46S.png

14 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

They are all there. Pardon my ignorance, but how do I go about uploading a log file?

You need to upload the log to a filehoster/cloud service like owncloud, one drive, etc.. and share the download link here.
The log is located in: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt

17 minutes ago, Klapaucius said:

You can see the clouds are present.  Also, you can see below in the snip from the Gamedata folder that I had both SVE and SVT in there with no issues.

SVT is not relevant for this since it uses kopernicus to change ground textures (like cliffs, grass, etc.) but SVE adds clouds to the stock system (and OPM) via EVE and there is actually no difference in the way this happens compared to the stock config of EVE. A bunch of configs and textures -> some EVE magic -> clouds! :D

But I'm getting a bit confused now: Did you install 'Before Kerbin' just for testing purposes or do you actually want to play with the mod? Before Kerbin provides their own configs for EVE and since it replaces every planet of the stock system, SVE (or the stock configs) will do absolut nothing.
On the other hand, your first screenshot is created on the Kerbin KSC...so what exactly is the mod setup you want to use? With or without a planet pack, EVE + stock config or SVE?
So before you upload a log, please install all the mods you actually want to use (at least the planet packs and visual mods), launch the game and check for clouds: If there are any, perfect :) If there are still no clouds, upload the log.

2 minutes ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

You need to upload the log to a filehoster/cloud service like owncloud, one drive, etc.. and share the download link here.
The log is located in: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\LocalLow\Squad\Kerbal Space Program\output_log.txt

SVT is not relevant for this since it uses kopernicus to change ground textures (like cliffs, grass, etc.) but SVE adds clouds to the stock system (and OPM) via EVE and there is actually no difference in the way this happens compared to the stock config of EVE. A bunch of configs and textures -> some EVE magic -> clouds! :D

But I'm getting a bit confused now: Did you install 'Before Kerbin' just for testing purposes or do you actually want to play with the mod? Before Kerbin provides their own configs for EVE and since it replaces every planet of the stock system, SVE (or the stock configs) will do absolut nothing.
On the other hand, your first screenshot is created on the Kerbin KSC...so what exactly is the mod setup you want to use? With or without a planet pack, EVE + stock config or SVE?
So before you upload a log, please install all the mods you actually want to use (at least the planet packs and visual mods), launch the game and check for clouds: If there are any, perfect :) If there are still no clouds, upload the log.

I keep separate copies of the game with various planet packs, so I can easily play one or the other.  So all I am trying to do is get the stock version working.  I'm going to do a fresh install, add the mods and I'll try to upload the log then.

20 hours ago, 4x4cheesecake said:

Okay, here is the log file. Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZOWk0osRKfniy_1ZVaL6k-OXhvSpKYS8

2 hours ago, Klapaucius said:

Okay, here is the log file. Thank you for taking the time to look into this for me :)

https://drive.google.com/open?id=1ZOWk0osRKfniy_1ZVaL6k-OXhvSpKYS8

No problem, I hope we can also fix it ;)

So, two things to mention to your log:

1) You got a massive 'InvalidOperationException' spam by TextureReplacer (Shader 'Visor' is missing) probably because you use version 2.5.4 while the latest release is 3.5.0. You should update the mod or remove it, maybe it causes the issues of EVE as well.

2) The CityLightsManager and CloudsManager of EVE got some issues as well but I don't know why (yet), the SVE config cannot be read properly.

Since TextureReplacer looks pretty ancient and ModuleManager is also still installed in version 3.1.0, I guess you didn't use fresh mod downloads for this?
So, if updating/removing TR doesn't help, you should consider do get a fresh copy of MM, EVE and SVE and if that doesn't help either, you can try my inoffical EVE version for 1.5.1: https://github.com/4x4cheesecake/EnvironmentalVisualEnhancements/releases/tag/EVE-1.5.1.1

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.