How do kerbals reproduce?

Mudkip909

Well, I guess you're old enough to know now, so here goes.

When we are in the mood for new kerbals, we travel to the Mission Control building, where we can usually find a rescue contract or two. Select a willing one we fancy, and then we gently click the offered button. If we click the button just right, the contract gets accepted and a kerbal spawns somewhere in orbit! All we have to do is build a stork rocket to fetch it for us and bring it to the space center.

Wanna know?

Step 1: Set the game's resolution and graphic options to maximum

Step 2: Go to VAB/SPH, select the first part (any part)

Step 3: Attach mystery goo canister to it and open it

Step 4: If you zoom in REALLY REALLY close to the holes inside the canister, you see "Smiling faces" on each holes

Considering the goo reacts to the environment, and how often rescue missions available, I guess the kerbals on Kerbin is spawned from crash landed goo canister (or Wernher von Kerman's experiments), and the kerbals that needs rescue is a remnant from goo canister that's left long enough. Those canisters are actually a cloning machine for Kerbals

Or maybe they're just Space Krakens in disguise. Because if you apply a force powerful enough to stretch the kerbals into sphagettification, they transcends their corporeal form and shows their "true" (glitchy) Kraken form, complete with tentacles (actually an overly stretched head, arms and legs)

Edited by ARS

Headcanon answer - they’re marsupial. Pouchbound Kerbal young are normally referred to as kerblings and are pretty cute, what with their big eyes and downy black hair. Once they leave the pouch, kerblings are normally referred to as kerblets.

As for how a mummy Kerbal and a daddy Kerbal actually make a kerbling - I’ve always been too polite to ask.

Well you have to buy kerbals and you don't pay salary. That raises some ethical issues. 
On the other hand if you own lots of kerbals they become idiotic expensive. Past 100 and you are above 2.5 million for each. 
Mixed crews on very long missions also don't create new kerbals. 

I feel like they are produced and it require some rare finite resource to make them. 
On the other hand some show up the weirdest places, has 3 halfway between Moho and the sun. How did they get there. 

When a mommy kerbal and a daddy kerbal love each other very much, they make a function call to execute a block of code that creates a new kerbal instance, semi-randomly assigns it a name, gives it random stupidity and courage values, and randomly assigns it to be a pilot, scientist, engineer, or tourist.

19 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Well you have to buy kerbals and you don't pay salary. That raises some ethical issues. 
On the other hand if you own lots of kerbals they become idiotic expensive. Past 100 and you are above 2.5 million for each. 
Mixed crews on very long missions also don't create new kerbals. 

I feel like they are produced and it require some rare finite resource to make them. 
On the other hand some show up the weirdest places, has 3 halfway between Moho and the sun. How did they get there. 

*puts foil hat on*

Almost that. Except I don't think they are produced, but rather summoned. The question is: from where? My theory is that they aren't even from Kerbin, really.

Think about it: they use their full pressure suits when walking about just anywhere on Kerbin. They cannot really breath Kerbin's air, nor is its surface pressure adequate for them.

And more: KSC is the only operational place in Kerbin, save for a bunch of relay antennas. Other colonization attempts have been made, on the island and on the old KSC, both doomed to some kind of catastrophic failure, but 3rd time was the charm.

I believe Kerbals come from some other place on the galaxy or maybe even another dimension, summoned by some high tech device inside the Astronaut complex, with the intent of exploring and colonizing Kerbol system, which they have to do with the resources available for them in situ. Also, they are colonizing other systems, which, judging by how they name themselves individually, are all called Kerbol System. They might have some kind of ethical protocol to follow, because they don't reproduce while in mission. Or they just aren't able to, maybe because they are sterile clones tailored specifically for the job.

I'm pretty sure that we'll know where they come from, though. On KSP 2.0.

*takes off foil hat*

Edited by BadLeo

12 hours ago, razark said:

When a mommy kerbal and a daddy kerbal love each other very much, they make a function call to execute a block of code that creates a new kerbal instance, semi-randomly assigns it a name, gives it random stupidity and courage values, and randomly assigns it to be a pilot, scientist, engineer, or tourist.

^^ Works for me!

3 hours ago, BadLeo said:

*puts foil hat on*

Almost that. Except I don't think they are produced, but rather summoned. The question is: from where? My theory is that they aren't even from Kerbin, really.

Think about it: they use their full pressure suits when walking about just anywhere on Kerbin. They cannot really breath Kerbin's air, nor is its surface pressure adequate for them.

And more: KSC is the only operational place in Kerbin, save for a bunch of relay antennas. Other colonization attempts have been made, on the island and on the old KSC, both doomed to some kind of catastrophic failure, but 3rd time was the charm.

I believe Kerbals come from some other place on the galaxy or maybe even another dimension, summoned by some high tech device inside the Astronaut complex, with the intent of exploring and colonizing Kerbol system, which they have to do with the resources available for them in situ. Also, they are colonizing other systems, which, judging by how they name themselves individually, are all called Kerbol System. They might have some kind of ethical protocol to follow, because they don't reproduce while in mission. Or they just aren't able to, maybe because they are sterile clones tailored specifically for the job.

I'm pretty sure that we'll know where they come from, though. On KSP 2.0.

*takes off foil hat*

Kerbals can remove the helmets on Kerbin, I assume they wear the spacesuit as its free company wear.
Note that they also wear parachutes stationed on an mun base once qualified for them. 

Lack of any other structures on Kerbin is more of an issue. Summoned is more troublesome as summons tend to be temporary in games like Skyrim. I don't want my 4 million credit kerbals in Eeloo orbit to time out. 

On 12/3/2018 at 5:10 AM, KSK said:

Headcanon answer - they’re marsupial. Pouchbound Kerbal young are normally referred to as kerblings and are pretty cute, what with their big eyes and downy black hair. Once they leave the pouch, kerblings are normally referred to as kerblets.

There is some sense here. Perhaps those leftover kangaroo genes are what causes them to continually engineer bouncing landing gear.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.