[1.5.x] PermanentClamshell 1.0 - Clamshell Fairings, by default, every time. (02/12/2018)

severedsolo

CbXmrBQ.jpg

A little modlet I wrote for somebody on one of the KSP facebook groups I am a part of, but it's useful enough that I decided to release it for general consumption.

What it does

When you place a fairing in the editor, it will default to Clamshell rather than "Shattered glass" setting. Note that this will only happen when the part is placed. If you change it back to the stock behaviour on that particular part, the mod will respect that.

License - MIT

Dependency: Module Manager

Download (GITHUB)

Source (GITHUB)

btn_donate_LG.gif

downloads_wordmark_navy@2x.png

Edited by severedsolo

I like the idea of clamshell fairings, but no matter what I do, how I design them, one of more of the clamshell 'sides' always gets stuck to the craft, usually at the fairing base and flops around breaking bits on the ship. I've never figured out how to get clean seps on the stock clamshells. Cool little mod though.

Edited by vardicd

13 minutes ago, vardicd said:

but no matter what I do, how I design them, one of more of the clamshell 'sides' always gets stuck to the craft, usually at the fairing base and flops around breaking bits on the ship.

Heh yeah hence the screenshot on the pad. I had to boost the ejection force to around 500 to get that, and even then it only worked if the craft was stationary. My guess is this is why Squad decided not to have clamshell fairings in 1.0.

I don't bother with them myself, but the guy on facebook asked, and it was literally 5 minutes of my time, so why not.

Edited by severedsolo

Uh... Guess you didn't know, but the setting for clamshell versus confetti fairings is part of the module config for a part. You can do the same thing with a MM config to set that option, no need for a DLL plugin (well, other than MM.)

//	This MM Config sets some defaults for your fairings so you don't have to all the time.

//	The FINAL is there because I make all my personalized MM configs run last after all the mod configs.
//	I figure it makes sure I catch all changes and mod parts that use/apply/edit the same settings I'm modifying.
//	Probably safe to remove if you wish.
@PART[*]:HAS[@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]]:FINAL
{
	@MODULE[ModuleProceduralFairing]
	{
		%nArcs 			= 2 	//	Number of fairing sides. In-game Editor Tweakable Limits: 2-6
		%ejectionForce 	= 1000 	//	Self-explanatory. In-game Editor Tweakable Limits: 0-1000
		%useClamshell 	= True 	//	Self-explanatory: True/False

//	The next setting controls the max length of each section.
		//	I'm applying a multiplier here to the part's stat.
		//	If you want a hard number, delete the *.
		//	Not a normal tweakable, so I don't know the limits.

@xSectionHeightMax *= 3
	}

@MODULE[ModuleStructuralNode],*	//	Needs indexing wildcard here since each node is using an instance of this module.
	{
		%visibilityState = False	//	Visibility of the Truss(?): True/False (Related to "showMesh" below; change in tandem.)
	}

@MODULE[ModuleStructuralNodeToggle]
	{
		%showMesh 	= False 	//	Visibility of the Truss: True/False (Related to "visibilityState" above; change in tandem.)
		%showNodes 	= False 	//	Visibility of Nodes: True/False
	}
}

3 minutes ago, StahnAileron said:

Uh... Guess you didn't know, but the setting for clamshell versus confetti fairings is part of the module config for a part. You can do the same thing with a MM config to set that option, no need for a DLL plugin (well, other than MM.)

You know, I tried a MM patch to start with, and nothing happened, I figured that field wasn't persistent or something. Having said that, my KSP install went belly up today, so it's entirely possible that was a symptom :D - *shrugs* suits me, just means no-one will use it and it can be allowed to die ;) thanks for the info.

4 minutes ago, severedsolo said:

You know, I tried a MM patch to start with, and nothing happened, I figured that field wasn't persistent or something. Having said that, my KSP install went belly up today, so it's entirely possible that was a symptom :D - *shrugs* suits me, just means no-one will use it and it can be allowed to die ;) thanks for the info.

No problem. For all you know, it could have been a simple syntax error or typo. I've had to troubleshoot my MM configs before. Usually, it's me mucking up the match parameters somehow.

• 1 year later...
This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.