[1.3.1 <= KSP <= 1.12.5] KAX - Kerbal Aircraft Expansion KAX — Under Lisias' Management — v2.8.1.0 [2021-0824]

Lisias

As per our earlier PMs (for the benefit of everyone here), i've completed my 1.3.1 testing. All of the parts are functional. I utterly failed to build anything worth showing off though.. Though this is not due to a lack of skill, so much as a lack of parts. The bottom line is that KAX simply does not have enough parts. However, as i said, what is here, works just fine.

As an aside, i don't know what the original mod author was thinking... ALL of the engines are woefully under-powered. I'd built a 4-engine plane, reminiscent of an old airliner, or WWII bomber... however, i couldn't keep it in the air, because the turborop engines (the strongest engines in the pack) were still far too weak to be truly useful for the application.

The parts of KAX that I love most is the cockpit and the engines. The vintage propellers have a huge potential, but they need companion parts.

And I really need to make that gorgeous gears to work again!

I agree, the landing gear were awesome-looking, and were actually one of the original reasons i got the mod.... unfortunately, i never got to use them. I think they'd already been removed by the time i first downloaded the mod. the cockpit module, and electric motors were pretty decent though. However, the electric motor (much like all the rest of the engines) is still very much under-powered.

At least for KSP 1.7 downto 1.4, with the engine module of that era, nope. The thrust of the engines are more or less related to real life.

I already had discussed this previously:

TLDR: You can simply convert the engine HP into KN . The piston engine is way different from jets, and at least for KSP 1.4 to 1.7.3, what KAX have is more or less realistic.

It's insane having a small turboprop (as from another add'on) to have the same thrust of a Cessna Citation engine!

I have no information yet about KSP 1.8

6 minutes ago, Lisias said:

It is not on CKAN yet, there are a fez adjustments I need to do first

I see, thanks for clarification. .version links to master/KAX.version, which is updated, so AVC tell, that there is a new version. 
Also github have prerelease checkbox, which could help understand at once that nothing is forgotten.

16 minutes ago, flart said:

I see, thanks for clarification. .version links to master/KAX.version, which is updated, so AVC tell, that there is a new version. 
Also github have prerelease checkbox, which could help understand at once that nothing is forgotten.

Sir, I own you an apology. You are rightI forgot to update SpaceDock. Sorry.

In my defense, I'm awake for more than 18 hours and worked the whole day, partially business, partially detecting problems on TweakScale, and I'm really wasted. I will update SpaceDock by the morning, as as you can see, it will be probably not the best of ideas to update things at this moment. :blush:

10 hours ago, flart said:

@Lisias, looks like you forgot to add 2.8.0.2 to spacedock, so it isn't on CKAN

I just updated SpaceDock with the 2.8.0.2, following your heads up. Thanks, and sorry for the misunderstanding.

Looks like it is time to get at least one day off before another bug hunting quest over TS and KSP :). @Lisias, don't overburn yourself with all mods that you maintain. Take your own pace with this and might even a bit slower than your own pace :) as it seems to be too much of those unwanted events lately.

WIth the latest release of Firespitter (7.14), where the FX emitters were commented out to allow the thing to work on KSP 1.8 as fast as possible, I could give KAX a try on it.

2019-1029_KSP18-Preliminary-Testing.jpg

There're changes on the Physics engine as we can see on the overstressed wings, and I don't know yet how the new Engines Modules are behaving (I have more thrust? Less? Drag?), but at least this insane bomber of mine took off.

The overall performance is better, no doubt. I'm running this on the very same old Mac Potato I'm using since last year, and things are smoother. I think the gears are behaving a bit different - I'm not sure, but I think this gears are working better, at least for this use case.

Further testings only on the Week End for obvious reasons. :)

Edited by Lisias
Less entertaining grammars :P

5 hours ago, flart said:

KAX v2.8.0.2
KSPe.Light.KAX v2.1.0.16
[WRN 06:35:05.604] 1 warning related to GameData/KAX/Patches/KAX_FAR.cfg

Usually full logs are needed, otherwise I would had to try to reproduce it myself - that takes time. Full logs allows me to respond almost instantly most of the times, while having to reproduce the thing needs to be done as time allows, what sometimes can take a huge amount of time (there're tickets on TweakScale aging for months, as I just can't spare the time to reproduce the problem).

And since my own gaming installation doesn't issue this warning, I'm on the dark, Please publish a full KSP.log (with even Module Manager's messages, so I don't have to ask for new files, neither had to merge them to be processed on my tools).

18 hours ago, flart said:

somehow I thought that it is some kind of typo in that file and WRN quote will be enough, but there it is
https://www.dropbox.com/s/70ao4jzmutzm5kk/KSP.log?dl=0

Sometimes it is, but sometimes it's not. And the KSP.log provides a detailed error message for the problem, as in this case:

[WRN 10:11:15.404] more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: KAX/Patches/KAX_FAR/@PART[KAXVintage*]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceRe

Well, I learnt something new today. You can't mix :FOR and :AFTER or :BEFORE on the same node no matter the symbol they refers (:AFTER something and then :FOR something else). It will be fixed on the next release, currently unscheduled however.

Tanks for the heads up!

Edited by Lisias
Hit "save" too soon.

• 3 weeks later...

How is KSP 1.8 support on this?

Do I presume it's OK so long as you update DLLs or did this one run aground on the DXT3 support removal as well?

I know Airplane Plus got hit hard.

I'm going to try it and see . . .

Edited by Ruedii

18 minutes ago, Ruedii said:

How is KSP 1.8 support on this?

Do I presume it's OK so long as you update DLLs or did this one run aground on the DXT3 support removal as well?

I know Airplane Plus got hit hard.

I'm going to try it and see . . .

Hi. It works as is, but I didn't did it a full walkthrough. So I didn't updated the compatibility.

The incompatible compressed textures appears to be uncompressed on load time. This taxes the memory, but things works in the meantime.

I need to stress Firespitter too , to avoid being caught with my pants down.

Until there, file any misbehaviour you find. This will help me not only on KAX.

Hi!

This is just to ask you people a bit more patience.

Making a Deploy is not only a matter of testing the thing on my machine and kicking the binary through the door - I need to allocate time to support the thing if anything bad happens. And right now my day job is hugely demanding (nasty stuff, it's unfeasible to pause it for one or two hours a day to give proper support here), and I don't wanna risk publishing KAX as 1.8 compatible, and then something I didn't checked or could not foresee bites us while I'm not available for support.

Sorry, but this is temporary. I expect (but I don't promise) to homologate this on the WeekEnd.

Edited by Lisias
tyops. as usulla.

Sorry i've been away for so long. I've thought about it and decided to not make Add-On's, and with that goes the idea of KWX. I may change my mind when KSP 2 drops but as of now i'm not sure. Just a lot of issues going on and finishing off school too.

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, siklidkid said:

do the jumpjets rotate? like what are they for?

Nope, it was Work in Progress when I take this Add'On, and I didn't took it down to prevent breakage on some artistic work that could be using it.

It needs some work before being really useable on a Career or something.

6 minutes ago, siklidkid said:

thats dissappointing.

I agree. But with the robotics, this part lost priority on the queue. You can easily reproduce the desired feature with Breaking Ground as well with IR/Next.

I'm way more interested on resurrecting that gorgeous landing gears. :)

Edited by Lisias
Hit "Enter" too soon.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/22/2020 at 11:30 AM, ssd21345 said:

seems far patch give warning (at least on 1.8) https://www.dropbox.com/s/745nrqebbhrud2s/KSP.log?dl=0

I need you to be more specific. What warnings? There tons on your KSP.log. :)

If you are talking about ModuleManager warnings, you need to post the MM logs too. Ask Module Manager's maintainers about how to do that.

----------  POST EDIT ----------

You are right. Got it.

[LOG 20:45:51.797] [ModuleManager] WARNING: more than one pass specifier detected, ignoring all but the first: KAX/Patches/KAX_FAR/@PART[KAXVintage*]:AFTER[FerramAerospaceResearch]:FOR[KAX]

I'm fixing it.

---------- POST POST EDIT ----------

The damned thing is fixed for months, and I forgot to push a new release. Sorry for that.

New release is currently work in progress.

---------- POST POST POST EDIT ----------

I'm currently testing 2.8.0.3 on KSP 1.8.1 just to be sure things are alright. Then I will test it again on 1.9.0. I expect to formalize the release tomorrow at Noon (GMT-3).

Anyone willing to take his chances in the mean time can download 2.8.0.3 here:

https://github.com/net-lisias-ksp/KAX/blob/Archive/Archive/KAX-2.8.0.3.zip

Edited by Lisias
post post post edit

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.