[Subassembly] AeroSpin and AeroPuff Electric Motors [Stock]

Jon144

Motor Poll  

1. 1. Which motor do you prefer between the two?

• AeroSpin M1-50
    • AeroPuff M1-80

I would like to present two of my electric motors that I've been building stock biplanes with. 

These are two of the simplest, robust and compact versions built by myself. Not the most powerful, however. 

I wanted to share them to help those who are new to building stock propeller vehicles, and to see what the creative minds of the forum could accomplish with them. 

Feel free to use them in your own craft with or without giving credit to me. Both are capable of achieving 80 m/s top speeds with lightweight aircraft. 

AeroPuff M1-80 (80 SAS Torque Motor)

Spoiler

CF3909E0DE186F75103E398E6F5B3369F72FD8BF3947DE0042B006C2E8667ABAA9A58BB7175898012303974DBEE9674A7DD18BE2DB3D8518233A2AD0

The AeroPuff M1 has a slim, long profile perfect for smaller airplanes like those pictured in the spoiler. Due to the use of the smaller SAS modules, it's less weight efficient than the AeroSpin series, but still very compact.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/e8qipt7ujmket37/AeroPuff M1-80.craft?dl=0

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

AeroSpin M1-50 (50 SAS Torque Motor)

Spoiler

51B651E5F1FABDBD03FFEAED621EB13106B053B1C75D3864DF8E9ADBBB5CAC1D7022387BD40D8053868434F6FE74BEF5AC15A3AA4F5DAF50D0F0C80C

The AeroSpin M1-50 is much more weight efficient, half the weight compared to the Aeropuff M1-80 while not half the power. This is because it uses the larger SAS units, so while being more efficient is much larger.

Download: https://www.dropbox.com/s/d3uqctj0hzme6gd/AeroSpin M1-50.craft?dl=0

DISCLAIMERS:

1. Loading the sub-assembly may lead to the struts inside the bearing to detach themselves, even if they still visually appear to be connected, they physically aren't. 

For safety, please zoom inside the bearing and manually replace the strut connections to assure the smoothest functionality after loading in and attaching the engine. 

^^^ Failing to do this might cause instability ^^^

2. The default propeller setup comes with an action group [0] which toggles propeller pitch, using the action group will enable a slow speed/high thrust mode for better climb and takeoff performance. 

Edited by Jon144

• 2 months later...

I'm planning on making use of the Aero Puff M1-80 on one of my vehicles (an airboat), but I'm unclear on how this is intended to be used.

This is the first time I've even thought of using an electric propellor motor, so my understanding of them is pretty minimal.

What I'm unclear on is how to guide the vehicle that the motor is attached to, as the motor doesn't seem to be able to spin until the decoupler at its base is activated, after which the motor is a separate vehicle to the one it was attached to. That then means I have no control over the direction of the vehicle, just the direction of spin of the motor, using the roll (Q and E keys).

It's very possible that I'm missing something basic here, so no explanation is too stupid :)

Additionally do you know of any way of having more than one motor active simultaneously, to provide more power?

Exactly that: Full breakes first, decouple, switch to engine(s), alt+q/e depending on which way it should spin, switch to the actual craft and fly.

Advantage: Using RTGs it has infinite power and will run forever. Also it is relatively simple to build and therefore easy to adapt and expand.

Disadvantage: missing control authority. You can only change pareters when switching to the engine(s) as slow down or change deploy of the prop for better efficiency. ---- OT: The prefered way is a turbo-prop due to its ability to alter thrust on the go. It's not perfect though, also it's less stable because it's build in a noticeably more complicated way. Also it still does not allow full control, so the gain is small compared to the added complexity and unrelyability.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.