Meanwhile in Russia: fighting climate change... with mammoths

DDE

1 hour ago, kerbiloid said:

Maybe because they were living not in modern tundra but in a cold steppe full of grass (English wiki doesn't have an equivalent, but in Russian it's lesotundra = forestundra).

Also, genetical diversity would be catastrophically poor.

Btw, has anyone tried to keep both elephants and wolves in the same biome?

I mean the full-featured North-European wolves.

Could they hunt elephants?

You get another ecosystem above the forests who is steppe, they probably handle forests unless its get to dense with large trees and you don't want them into the logging zones as trees are money makers and way better carbon sinks than mammoths. 
You yes you will need 50+ clones not just a few. 

And no wolfs are more like hyenas, who are not the apex predators in Africa, lions are and they do not hit elephants outside lost babies. 

12 hours ago, magnemoe said:

wolfs are more like hyenas, who are not the apex predators in Africa, lions are

Was surprised to learn that wolves are ranked below lions... but I did know that the apex predator of Africa is the African Wild Dog:  Apex predators in the wild: which animals are the most dangerous? - Discover Wildlife

Still, in the tundra areas - wolves are pretty efficient.

Of course - if we change the tundra/taiga/steppe to include massive prey animals (veggie eaters)... something will adapt itself to take advantage of the new meat source.  Not saying we will see a 'new' Sabertooth but a branch of tiger could increase in size or polar bears (which already hunt whales) could adapt itself to something like the short-faced bear and get big enough to prey more effectively on the new food source.

Pride of lions can actually bring down young elephants - not full sized adults of course, but... adolescent probably would be a right word. Packs of wolves were recorded hunting down moose. Baby mammoth separated from the mother probably would be in their range. Same for bears and tigers, though they do not hunt collectively, which limits their capabilities.

All in all, i would be more worried about poachers. And dumb politicians thinking they are entitled to such trophy on the wall.

2 minutes ago, Scotius said:

All in all, i would be more worried about poachers. And dumb politicians thinking they are entitled to such trophy on the wall.

Set up an anti-aircraft training range 20 km away.

Problem solved.

Spoiler

I recall about half a dozen times when Russian VIPs on a dubiously legal hunting trip fell voctim to a helicopter crash.

23 hours ago, magnemoe said:

Mammoths are not an ecosystem but an animal. See no reason why they should not do well in northern Siberia. Environment is not that different from the ice age ,its no predators who can kill them outside humans obviously and they will be illegal to hunt and well protected. 

They'd effectively be an "invasive species", although I'd expect them to thrive unless some humans decide to hunt them to extinction again.

8 hours ago, DDE said:

Set up an anti-aircraft training range 20 km away.

Problem solved.

Hide contents

I recall about half a dozen times when Russian VIPs on a dubiously legal hunting trip fell voctim to a helicopter crash.

The combination of AA training and VIPs demising is unfortunate - unless it was merely convenient. 

One you get past twice... It starts to look a bit suspicious 

Edited by JoeSchmuckatelli

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.