Rover 6428

Add a centrifuge habitat in the next update

Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version

• Yes, a centrifuge should be implemented
    • No, a centrifuge should not be implemented

I personally really want a stock centrifuge habitat to be implemented into the newer ksp versions. I would like to see your ideas though too.

@UomoCapra please consider doing this

Edited by Rover6428

I would not mind a stock centrifuge habitat. However, if one were to be implemented, I would be disappointed if it didn't actually rotate. Which inevitably would lead to the realization that what I actually want is a generic rotating joint I could use for my own various purposes, which may include my own concepts of rotating habitats.

So I guess I would prefer a rotating joint of some kind. Still, I agree a pre-made one-part habitat would be nice. After a rotating joint. :D

On a side note: I will always wonder what people have in mind when they set the 'Make voter names public?' flag on forum polls. Especially since it's not the default setting and they have to specifically choose to make it so.

I don't understand why that option even exists. Incidentally, it's a guaranteed way of making me not vote, as a matter of principle.

"I want lists of names! Who agrees with me, who disagrees with me, who refrains from comment. Find out those names!" :huh:

• Like 1

Right now Im using RD's USI-LS and Nertea's SSPXR and I really like the dynamic. I love habitat parts including centrifuges but they really need to serve a funtion rather than being fancy set dressing. That to me means a simple habitation mechanic. Maybe part of a Making the Future DLC.

But yes, absolutely, would love to see this and at least a few other hab parts. 

Edited by Pthigrivi
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I would not mind a stock centrifuge habitat. However, if one were to be implemented, I would be disappointed if it didn't actually rotate. Which inevitably would lead to the realization that what I actually want is a generic rotating joint I could use for my own various purposes, which may include my own concepts of rotating habitats.

So I guess I would prefer a rotating joint of some kind. Still, I agree a pre-made one-part habitat would be nice. After a rotating joint. :D

On a side note: I will always wonder what people have in mind when they set the 'Make voter names public?' flag on forum polls. Especially since it's not the default setting and they have to specifically choose to make it so.

I don't understand why that option even exists. Incidentally, it's a guaranteed way of making me not vote, as a matter of principle.

"I want lists of names! Who agrees with me, who disagrees with me, who refrains from comment. Find out those names!" :huh:

better now?

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

better now?

Appreciated, thank you. Vote added.

I wish there was an "I don't care, there are mods for that" answer. Sure, it'd be fine if there was one in stock, but I can't imagine something coming in stock that would be any better than what's available in mods already and and @Pthigrivi said, it makes a lot more sense with life support.

Maybe if Squad actually did life support it would be a good part to add to that release?

• Like 2

Currently the only habitat-ish part we have is the Hitchhiker. I said ish because what do we have inside? Ah yes, four seats mounted to the walls. Even the Processing Lab looks better inside. Before we get any moving parts in stock (though you can kinda make a centrifuge out of two or three separate vessels, I proved that on video) we should get a part that would actually work as a habitat for long-term missions. That implies life support. We're getting close (I'm experiencing a deja vu right now) to that now that we know Kerbals need oxygen to breath and go poof without a helmet in space.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Currently the only habitat-ish part we have is the Hitchhiker. I said ish because what do we have inside? Ah yes, four seats mounted to the walls. Even the Processing Lab looks better inside. Before we get any moving parts in stock (though you can kinda make a centrifuge out of two or three separate vessels, I proved that on video) we should get a part that would actually work as a habitat for long-term missions. That implies life support. We're getting close (I'm experiencing a deja vu right now) to that now that we know Kerbals need oxygen to breath and go poof without a helmet in space.

I mean... what could stop the centrifuge becoming the first habitat? (Nice profile pic BTW)

Nothing really. Except that, career-wise, I guess players would use something that fits within rocket diameter on their early missions, rather than centrifuge exceeding Kraken knows how far (that's harder to send into orbit). I'm not saying it's bad, but such thing would have to be pretty far in the tech tree, around tier 8 or even 9. Inline habitat module should appear much earlier for the whole concept to work. Just my thoughts.

Why ask for stock parts that mods provide? The only stock thing I wish could be made is axial tilt. I would pay 100 euros for that dlc hehe. Nerteas stockalike station parts add 5 high quality centrifuges with great animations and ivas. They are modeled to be stockalike!  

11 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Why ask for stock parts that mods provide? The only stock thing I wish could be made is axial tilt. I would pay 100 euros for that dlc hehe. Nerteas stockalike station parts add 5 high quality centrifuges with great animations and ivas. They are modeled to be stockalike!  

because stock means no additional stress on the game. Mods, however cool the may be, are still indigenous to the game, so they may stress it one way or another. Also, one would not have to upgrade the mod separately from the game. 

The last but not the least: I don't like Nertea's mod because it A) doesn't look stockalike B) has little to no interior.

20 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

because stock means no additional stress on the game. Mods, however cool the may be, are still indigenous to the game, so they may stress it one way or another. Also, one would not have to upgrade the mod separately from the game. 

The last but not the least: I don't like Nertea's mod because it A) doesn't look stockalike B) has little to no interior.

Have you seen the redux? Im pretty sure he's done all of the IVA's now. It also comes with some re-skinned stock parts that blend things really nicely. 

1 hour ago, Rover 6428 said:

The more you add to the game the more stress there will be even if it is stock. Stock parts are just better optimized but nerteas mods are just as optimized in my opinion. A Centrifuge is an animated part no matter what so stress will be added.