Add a centrifuge habitat in the next update

Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version

• Yes, a centrifuge should be implemented
    • No, a centrifuge should not be implemented

I would not mind a stock centrifuge habitat. However, if one were to be implemented, I would be disappointed if it didn't actually rotate. Which inevitably would lead to the realization that what I actually want is a generic rotating joint I could use for my own various purposes, which may include my own concepts of rotating habitats.

So I guess I would prefer a rotating joint of some kind. Still, I agree a pre-made one-part habitat would be nice. After a rotating joint. :D

On a side note: I will always wonder what people have in mind when they set the 'Make voter names public?' flag on forum polls. Especially since it's not the default setting and they have to specifically choose to make it so.

I don't understand why that option even exists. Incidentally, it's a guaranteed way of making me not vote, as a matter of principle.

"I want lists of names! Who agrees with me, who disagrees with me, who refrains from comment. Find out those names!" :huh:

Right now Im using RD's USI-LS and Nertea's SSPXR and I really like the dynamic. I love habitat parts including centrifuges but they really need to serve a funtion rather than being fancy set dressing. That to me means a simple habitation mechanic. Maybe part of a Making the Future DLC.

But yes, absolutely, would love to see this and at least a few other hab parts. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

8 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

I would not mind a stock centrifuge habitat. However, if one were to be implemented, I would be disappointed if it didn't actually rotate. Which inevitably would lead to the realization that what I actually want is a generic rotating joint I could use for my own various purposes, which may include my own concepts of rotating habitats.

So I guess I would prefer a rotating joint of some kind. Still, I agree a pre-made one-part habitat would be nice. After a rotating joint. :D

On a side note: I will always wonder what people have in mind when they set the 'Make voter names public?' flag on forum polls. Especially since it's not the default setting and they have to specifically choose to make it so.

I don't understand why that option even exists. Incidentally, it's a guaranteed way of making me not vote, as a matter of principle.

"I want lists of names! Who agrees with me, who disagrees with me, who refrains from comment. Find out those names!" :huh:

better now?

I wish there was an "I don't care, there are mods for that" answer. Sure, it'd be fine if there was one in stock, but I can't imagine something coming in stock that would be any better than what's available in mods already and and @Pthigrivi said, it makes a lot more sense with life support.

Maybe if Squad actually did life support it would be a good part to add to that release?

Currently the only habitat-ish part we have is the Hitchhiker. I said ish because what do we have inside? Ah yes, four seats mounted to the walls. Even the Processing Lab looks better inside. Before we get any moving parts in stock (though you can kinda make a centrifuge out of two or three separate vessels, I proved that on video) we should get a part that would actually work as a habitat for long-term missions. That implies life support. We're getting close (I'm experiencing a deja vu right now) to that now that we know Kerbals need oxygen to breath and go poof without a helmet in space.

8 hours ago, The Aziz said:

Currently the only habitat-ish part we have is the Hitchhiker. I said ish because what do we have inside? Ah yes, four seats mounted to the walls. Even the Processing Lab looks better inside. Before we get any moving parts in stock (though you can kinda make a centrifuge out of two or three separate vessels, I proved that on video) we should get a part that would actually work as a habitat for long-term missions. That implies life support. We're getting close (I'm experiencing a deja vu right now) to that now that we know Kerbals need oxygen to breath and go poof without a helmet in space.

I mean... what could stop the centrifuge becoming the first habitat? (Nice profile pic BTW)

Nothing really. Except that, career-wise, I guess players would use something that fits within rocket diameter on their early missions, rather than centrifuge exceeding Kraken knows how far (that's harder to send into orbit). I'm not saying it's bad, but such thing would have to be pretty far in the tech tree, around tier 8 or even 9. Inline habitat module should appear much earlier for the whole concept to work. Just my thoughts.

Why ask for stock parts that mods provide? The only stock thing I wish could be made is axial tilt. I would pay 100 euros for that dlc hehe. Nerteas stockalike station parts add 5 high quality centrifuges with great animations and ivas. They are modeled to be stockalike!  

11 minutes ago, dave1904 said:

Why ask for stock parts that mods provide? The only stock thing I wish could be made is axial tilt. I would pay 100 euros for that dlc hehe. Nerteas stockalike station parts add 5 high quality centrifuges with great animations and ivas. They are modeled to be stockalike!  

because stock means no additional stress on the game. Mods, however cool the may be, are still indigenous to the game, so they may stress it one way or another. Also, one would not have to upgrade the mod separately from the game. 

The last but not the least: I don't like Nertea's mod because it A) doesn't look stockalike B) has little to no interior.

20 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

because stock means no additional stress on the game. Mods, however cool the may be, are still indigenous to the game, so they may stress it one way or another. Also, one would not have to upgrade the mod separately from the game. 

The last but not the least: I don't like Nertea's mod because it A) doesn't look stockalike B) has little to no interior.

Have you seen the redux? Im pretty sure he's done all of the IVA's now. It also comes with some re-skinned stock parts that blend things really nicely. 

1 hour ago, Rover 6428 said:

The more you add to the game the more stress there will be even if it is stock. Stock parts are just better optimized but nerteas mods are just as optimized in my opinion. A Centrifuge is an animated part no matter what so stress will be added. 

• 3 weeks later...

IVAs in SSPXr can be a drain on the resources for some computers (haven't tried in KSP 1.6 yet though).  Regardless of stockalike, they do look great.  Also, Nertia knew that and adjusted stock parts to suit!

A stock rotating habitat (deployable of course) could be on similar lines to the porkjet one which is in the which is now in the Tokamak pack maintained by Linuxgurugamer.  It only needs a rotating IVA.

But IVA's i think are useless if they don't have external windows.  So a rigid one (still deployable) with windows.  The trick would be to NOT make it like movie ones, but hold six crew, enough for a full staffed landing crew with backup at another planet.

Peace.

I honestly think to do habitation right you want the following:

- 1.25m, 2.5m + 3.75m rigid and inflatable habitation modules

- 1.25m + 3.75m viewing cupolas

- 1.25m + 2.5m crew tubes and hubs. 

- At least 2 (medium and large) inflatable centrifuges.

- 1.25m, 2.5m + 3.75m base legs

Not full SSPXR, but like 20 parts. With that you could build just about anything. Nice way to deepen the tech-tree as well. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

On 12/8/2018 at 4:29 PM, Rover 6428 said:

because stock means no additional stress on the game. Mods, however cool the may be, are still indigenous to the game, so they may stress it one way or another.

OK, you have this all backwards.  

First off, indigenous means native.   Mods are not indigenous to the game.   Could have been a simple typo (I do these types all the time), so I'll let this one slide.  ;D

Seciondly, a part is a part is a part.   Just because it's a mod or stock, the game still has to load the assets.  Mods, depending on how they are implemented, may or may not add additional overhead compared to a comparable stock part.   If we add a new habitat part to the stock game, it's inclusion will increase the stress on the game, as it will take up memory and required to be loaded just like any other part. 

• 2 weeks later...

I think I'd rather we get basic inflatable station parts first, with the successful BEAM test on the ISS. Kerbal's in a position now where it's starting to trail real life tech between that stuff and SpaceX.

Edited by Nebbie

On 12/8/2018 at 5:29 PM, Rover 6428 said:

because stock means no additional stress on the game.

-snip-

Also, one would not have to upgrade the mod separately from the game.

1. Stock Visual Terrain (a mod that reskins the stock planets) is known to reduce stress on the game. Stock's settings aren't the pure gold you think they are.
  2. Then seek mod updates only when you're ready to start a new playthrough or only if a mod maker announces a major bugfix or only (like a month) after KSP releases, where mods will have caught up. Make your update cycle easier by:
    • using CKAN if you have many mods installed
    • copying KSP out of Steam and not playing in Steam.

On 1/10/2019 at 9:22 AM, Duck McFuddle said:

I like this idea. There are a few mods for it, but I'd like a stock version. It might be hard to make rotate, but it would be worth the effort. 

Also... Why is your font different?

Would it need to rotate?

Why not spin the whole craft on that axis and keep most crew out of the central core of the craft.

Given that we have no life-support or health system in stock, what function would a centrifuge serve?

On the poll, I vote "no", because we already have mods for this, and if history is anything to go by they're considerably better and prettier than anything Squad would implement.

I vote that jank-removal, GC stutter improvements & joystick support on GNU/Linux be included in the next update. I don't give a rats ass about new parts or existing part retextures.

On 12/8/2018 at 10:29 PM, Rover 6428 said:

We must not have seen the same parts then. In my humble opinion SSPXR blends into the stock game so well I could forget they come from a mod, plus the IVAs are the best ones I have seen in KSP so far. All the details etc, gotta love Nerteas work.

1 minute ago, Dafni said:

gotta love Nerteas work

Indeed. Nertea makes incredible mods, extending KSP yet looking like they were meant to be there from the beginning. I have serious doubts that any stock centrifuge would match the quality of the ones in SSPXR.

5 minutes ago, steve_v said:

Indeed. Nertea makes incredible mods, extending KSP yet looking like they were meant to be there from the beginning. I have serious doubts that any stock centrifuge would match the quality of the ones in SSPXR.

True. They should just hire him, or buy his stuff. Or better yet, all SSPXR appreciators drop some change in Nerteas hat!

I agree with you on your point above @steve_v, about the needlessness of a centrifuge in a stock environment. But I still like to use Nerteas centrifuges (even though I use no mods that would actually justify their use) just because they look so good.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.