Add a centrifuge habitat in the next update

Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Do you want to see a centrifuge in the new ksp version

• Yes, a centrifuge should be implemented
    • No, a centrifuge should not be implemented

8 minutes ago, Firemetal said:

But a part that can make anything rotate? That's an idea.

There is (or was) exactly such a part module  in the game. Pretty sure the thread was lost in the great forum crash and I'm too lazy to go hunt for it now, but AFAIK it was never used because it was too buggy.
People have been asking for this functionality (and robotics) for years and it's on the "do not suggest" list, presumably because Squad thinks it's too hard.

We just need a simple mappable joint or motor. ( @SQUAD, take a look at how Beseige does things.)

then we could make a centrifuge out of the older parts to fit onto the motor/joint.

I voted yes on the poll because I want a stock joint/motor, not really a centrifuge part.

8 minutes ago, Fraston said:

@SQUAD, take a look at how Beseige does things.

That game looks pretty cool, I hadn't seen it before.
Unfortunately I will not be buying any more games built on Unity3D, after the disappointment of all the ongoing and unfixed unity related problems with this one.

On 1/14/2019 at 6:49 AM, mattinoz said:

Would it need to rotate?

Why not spin the whole craft on that axis and keep most crew out of the central core of the craft.

Because artificial gravity stations usually have an area that is not rotating, around the center for two reasons that I can think of:

One, because zero-g is fun.

Two, Because imagine having a two-metre wide tube that astronauts go through. Having it spin wouldn't even do anything. The centrifugal force would barely exist, and nothing would really happen. 

So yes, you could spin the whole craft, but it would be more fun to have a separately rotating centrifuge. 

4 hours ago, Duck McFuddle said:

Because artificial gravity stations usually have an area that is not rotating, around the center for two reasons that I can think of:

Two, Because imagine having a two-metre wide tube that astronauts go through. Having it spin wouldn't even do anything. The centrifugal force would barely exist, and nothing would really happen. 

So yes, you could spin the whole craft, but it would be more fun to have a separately rotating centrifuge. 

My understanding is the reason you don't want the whole craft to spin is that spinning spaces with very low radii make astronauts VERY dizzy. (Think about those vomitron fair rides that make you stick to the wall and imagine spending weeks or months in that.) So any part of your craft with a radius less than 20m (for humans) should be stationary. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

10 hours ago, Pthigrivi said:

My understanding is the reason you don't want the whole craft to spin is that spinning spaces with very low radii make astronauts VERY dizzy. (Think about those vomitron fair rides that make you stick to the wall and imagine spending weeks or months in that.) So any part of your craft with a radius less than 20m (for humans) should be stationary. 

If the whole craft is spinning wouldn’t the astronauts inertia mean they would spin with the craft and there would be not visual frame of reference to tell them otherwise. I’d assume the crew would spend most time in the habitat ring with trips to core only to get supplies or check on systems. 

By spinning the whole craft you don’t have motors or bearings to wear out or break,

srill if issues spin the service tubes in the core  and have a big zero gav playroom  

On 1/18/2019 at 8:32 PM, Duck McFuddle said:

On 1/19/2019 at 12:29 PM, mattinoz said:

If the whole craft is spinning wouldn’t the astronauts inertia mean they would spin with the craft and there would be not visual frame of reference to tell them otherwise. I’d assume the crew would spend most time in the habitat ring with trips to core only to get supplies or check on systems. 

By spinning the whole craft you don’t have motors or bearings to wear out or break,

srill if issues spin the service tubes in the core  and have a big zero gav playroom  

My understanding is that having a stationary center would make it far easier to dock and control the craft. For docking, you could theoretically do the Odyssey 2001, but it would be unnecessarily tricky and it is better just to dock to an already stationary part, rather having to stop the whole craft. For the control, if you have the whole craft spinning, the engines would have a hard time doing any correction burns without interfering with the rotation speed.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.