Parts looking for love

So as Squad winds its way through the art pass on the part catalogue what parts do you see left that you think need attention? I tend to think a great number of parts are pretty good as is--spaceplane parts, batteries, etc. But some of the art assets are really old. I'd also personally like to see some gaps filled where parts seem missing. The big ones I'd love to see tackled after this pass on tanks and engines are the landing legs and rover wheels. It be especially nice if the legs had shielded variants, and Id personally love to see at least one really large landing leg for big landers and stage recovery. The rover wheels too could use some love, especially Rovemax M1 and XL3. It would be cool if the M1 could deflate and fold up for better packing. I know people use the XL3 but its positively bonkers. In 6 years playing this game I've never lifted it anywhere. At the very least it would be cool to get an intermediate wheel between the M2 and XL3, and/or even a big tank track if folks like making crawlers and giant rovers. 

Any other parts people see as priorities?

Landing legs and wheels, undoubtedly. Spot on. Also, texture coherence would be nice across the board both to fuel tanks and plane parts alike. I mean, mk2, mk3 and wing parts textures speak three different aesthetic languages, so to say. Finally, a full fledged engine revamp on the lines of porkjet's project would be absolutely glorious.

ReStock is doing this already...redoing stock parts following the art direction Porkjet set with his plane parts and his engine revamp plans. I believe the plan is to replace most of stock and bring it to one unified quality level.

They're also working on Restock+ which will include filler parts that should be in the game but were never made. So, rejoice! Your request has been answered  :)    (it's lot of work so you may wanna send them some encouragement too)

Not parts per say but the engine shrouds and decouples . I have a 2.5m orange tank rocket, and it looks weird with the white shrouds and decouplers., I don't know exactly how they would go on doing that but would be ince. I would also like if the fairings had a few more texture switches.

45 minutes ago, Dfthu said:

Not parts per say but the engine shrouds and decouples . I have a 2.5m orange tank rocket, and it looks weird with the white shrouds and decouplers., I don't know exactly how they would go on doing that but would be ince. I would also like if the fairings had a few more texture switches.

Agreed 100%. They have part variants for tanks and fairings, why not engine shrouds and decouplers...ugh

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

ReStock is doing this already...redoing stock parts following the art direction Porkjet set with his plane parts and his engine revamp plans. I believe the plan is to replace most of stock and bring it to one unified quality level.

Yeah and I'm psyched for it. Nertea's a genius. But I actually love most of the stock revamps too. It's probably sacrilege but I think KSP looks best with a healthy mix of different artist's work. 

Spoiler

Credit Nertea, RD, K.Yeon, EmbersArc, etc...
TEHf0Ar.png

d5yB58j.png

Q0z9oNB.png

1 hour ago, Tyko said:

Agreed 100%. They have part variants for tanks and fairings, why not engine shrouds and decouplers...ugh

1 hour ago, Dfthu said:

Decoupler shroud gives you variants and its easy to add your own to the ones already included.

38 minutes ago, Tonka Crash said:

Decoupler shroud gives you variants and its easy to add your own to the ones already included.

I already got that though, the orange they have is not the same as the tank. 

2 hours ago, Dfthu said:

This texture pack works with Decoupler Shroud and has an orange that's pretty close

On 12/5/2018 at 3:00 AM, Pthigrivi said:

Yeah and I'm psyched for it. Nertea's a genius. But I actually love most of the stock revamps too. It's probably sacrilege but I think KSP looks best with a healthy mix of different artist's work. 

Reveal hidden contents

Credit Nertea, RD, K.Yeon, EmbersArc, etc...
TEHf0Ar.png

d5yB58j.png

Q0z9oNB.png

SQUAD should really consider hiring Nertea as their lead artist.

• 4 weeks later...

Another thought as they move forward on parts updates, these boys:

ServiceBayLargeOpen.png

would be nicer if they took on a look that worked well with both plane fuselages and rocket stacks, and if they slid open or accordioned to keep their radial profile down. 

I'd love to see the bay work just like the doors on the updated MK2 lander can. 

Spoiler
21 minutes ago, Pthigrivi said:

Another thought as they move forward on parts updates, these boys:

ServiceBayLargeOpen.png

would be nicer if they took on a look that worked well with both plane fuselages and rocket stacks, and if they slid open or accordioned to keep their radial profile down. 

On 12/4/2018 at 9:25 PM, Dfthu said:

I just copied the orange and dark textures to new files and changed the colors with gimp to better match and then changed the ShroudTextureConfigs.cfg to add my 2 new textures. 

I think rover wheels are fine right now. Landing legs however are garbage in how they work, not really in how they look. I would like to note, though, that the title screen's crashed spacecraft at this point only has its landing legs as non-obsoleted parts.

Mainsail and Twin Boar need a rebalancing and variants and a new look. Skipper just needs a new look and variants. Cargo bays absolutely need a new look, but I kind of like the doors that swing out, but maybe a variant switch could make them slide instead for less silliness.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.