Relive the thrill of your first docking.

sjwt

I'm on the spectrum and have motor control, so I can't do manual docking. That is actually why I started using Mechjeb. Anyway MechJeb makes game play more like real space and air travel: computers actually do most of the work and humans are only there to do science and take control if the computer gets in over its electronic head. Man does not need to be in the loop most of the time.

11 hours ago, Vivalajosh88 said:

Im new to the game and only just landed on both moons. next step is to start building a space station. I see this is going to frustrating time. :D

a few things that can really help:

1. Make sure your RCS thrusters are balanced around the Center of Mass of your ship. If they're not, then a lateral (up, down, side to side) thrust will also cause your ship to spin and twist making docking a LOT more difficult
    1. if you're open to mods RCS Build Aid Continued is fantastic
    2. If you want to do it in stock, pull up your CoM indicator in the VAB - it's an orange ball that will show where the CoM is. Then eyeball as best you can to get your RCS thrusters aligned with that. Pro-Tip, try to get the fuel levels right too...if you're going to be docking with your fuel tanks mostly empty, then remove the fuel in the VAB so you can get a good idea of where CoM will be when you're actually docking (don't forget to put the fuel back in afterwards :D )
  2. Set your RCS thrusters to only fire for translate maneuvers only, not roll, pitch or yaw. Your reaction wheels can turn your craft so no reason to waste monoprop.

On 12/6/2018 at 1:32 AM, Pecan said:

My first (several dozen) docking attempts didn't go nearly that smoothly, even when they worked.

To be fair it dose start off showing part of one failed attempt.. looks quite dangerous from that. 

22 hours ago, Vivalajosh88 said:

Im new to the game and only just landed on both moons. next step is to start building a space station. I see this is going to frustrating time. :D

Study hard and watch tutorials, its something that works quite well on a slow slow slow run

On 12/7/2018 at 12:21 PM, Vivalajosh88 said:

Powered landings, rendezvous and docking are some of the hardest maneuvres to learn but well worth it - as you've already found with lunar landings :-)

The trick to docking, as sjwt said, is slow slow slow.  The navball (target mode) will show you nearly everything you need but it takes a few (3-to-300 !) attempts to get your head around what's going on.  Patience and persistence pay off but you might want to take a break and do something else a few times.

They missed the part where they bonked into the plane at 4m/s on the first approach, then had to timewarp to kill rotation, then awkwardly bumped around the opening like a small child trying to put a block in the wrong hole. 

Edited by Pthigrivi

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.