Temple Airstrike Challenge

41 minutes ago, spacehead3 said:

You could do that in a few minutes by just editing the .cfg files.

And regarding FAR, I think in most aspects it's actually a lot more intuitive for plane building than the stock system, which essentially calculates drag based on part count. FAR *does* make control much more difficult, so you really need a fly by wire mod like Atmosphere Autopilot if you're going to do fighters with very low stability.

Yeah but I'm not sure fighters with low stability are important here. They're also flyable even without advanced autopilots.

1. I've got Mouse Aim Flight, which works okay for that.

2. There is SAS.

3. AOA deflection should allow you to fly things that are quite unstable without it.

4. Most fighters I design are intended to be flyable by the BDA AI, which is a much worse pilot than I am most of the time. If you think something will never stall or flatspin or whatever, give it to the AI. It will probably find a way to make even a very stable plane fly in the wrong direction.

5. I've made planes where there is negligible correlation between the direction it is pointing and the direction it's moving. Nearly all-aspect neutral stability. If you're paying attention they're still flyable even with keyboard controls. So unless the plane in question is not merely low stability but actually unstable, I doubt it will be unflyable.

Edited by Pds314

Just re-posting the current leaderboard so I can share it.

LEADERBOARD

84.8 pts @spacehead3 [FARAlbum 

83.8 pts @a10t2 Link

58.7 pts @KingDominoIII  Link

58.7 pts @a10t2 Album

54.9 pts @Hodo F-152B [FARLink

50.5 pts u/Aetol Link

48.6 pts @spacehead3 F/A-XX1 [FAR] (Example Entry)

36 pts @Hodo F-119D [FARLink

27.5 pts @Hodo F/B-161 [FARLink

19.7 pts @spacehead3 F-22 [FARLink

-113.5 pts u/Aetol Link

?? pts @Kuznetsov Space program Link

Here's my try using my KAP 2 "Fogey" v2 with FAR installedYIaft3m.jpg

the visible menu is the Mod Atmosphere Autopilot, specifically the Cruise Flight Controller

some flying later

5vjoyKz.jpg

teNjzSD.jpg

bombing run the first:

wZkeOyW.jpg

was a miss

the second:

oLk18pD.jpg

BqGtwXr.jpg

k15mnOj.jpg

was a close hit!

now the return

h66RDLW.jpg

NZRKDV0.jpg

iKkmGTe.jpg

yes, i returned in Darkness...

HAadS7o.jpg

botched the Landing though

QvxKMC0.jpg

PaTig1Q.jpg

+6pts for Attack alt. of 6.4 km
-10pts for external Weapons
+10pts for stock vessel + weapons
-61pts MET
+0 Collateral Damage
+0 Heat Signature
-0.5*(2.6+8.3+8.4)=9.65pts Radar Signature

total=29.65pts (FAR)

Edited by JustMeLosing
the images were'nt properly embedded

On 12/15/2018 at 3:05 PM, Pds314 said:

Well, the stock engines ARE overpowered but unless you're using fuel economy as the metric the stock supersonic engines don't have unreasonable thrust or TWR or thrust density. Indeed, they're more like the cutting edge of 80s hardware. Modern fighter engines first manufactured in the 2010s well exceed the Panther's thrust output without being any wider than 1.25 meters.

TBH I kinda wanna make a super basic mod. All it does is replace the stock engine stats with something vaguely reasonable. So like double the fuel burn of the Panther, R.A.P.I.E.R., Whiplash and Juno, and cut the thrust output of the high bypass engines to 1/2 or maybe even 1/3 what they currently have and make them a bit lighter.

Maybe while I'm at it make rocket tanks and engines have reasonable masses too.

Stock jet engines in FAR and you can put most aircraft into an orbit around Kerbin.  With AJE, you have a lot of factors that go into it that limit your jet engine performance based on real life jet engine metrics.  And the new jet engines found on like the F-22 "c"Raptor are about 1.2-1.4m across.  They are PRETTY big.    AJE even adjusted the masses of these engines to mirror their real life counterparts.  Which also help balance them.   

I strongly suggest anyone running FAR run AJE with it.  It makes for a far more enjoyable aircraft designing experience. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.