Prioritizing Bugs in the Bugtracker

UomoCapra

Hello Bughunters!

The bugtracker has a feature you can use to upvote reports and thus help us order the issues by user relevance (Upvotes).

How is it used? Simple. Just enter a project in the bugtracker and click on “Issues” in the menu bar. Select a bug or feedback of your choice, go to the “My vote” section and click on the upward arrow symbol. That’s it, you’ve upvoted a bug.

aEd0XtSpaF6hDok8kcqTgIcK7gvroLGH1uA4e7ty

You can also sort the issues by upvotes. Above the “Issues” columns, you’ll see a couple of dropdown menus; unfold the “Options” menu. Under the “Available Columns” list box look for “Votes Up” and add it to the “Selected Columns” by clicking on the rightwards arrow. Click on apply.

ofUk32Is1hk-KxZgFshMPZdsos9Tw5pI0YDe_LGT.

That’s it! Now you can click on the “Votes Up” Column and sort them accordingly.

_Mz36Ge8QwMBxmUVji5taHjfwxsCelLNWZL1BtM5

With this feature you can help us to find relevant bugs you think are important. Let’s the hunting begin!

Happy launchings!

1300 bugs open... Someone has a lot of work to do. As many have stated and posted videos on Youtube about this game is getting worse not better.. Squad need to stop adding things and fix the core game or we will be left with a shiny turd.

If only I needed to hunt them... rather they seek me out every time I turn your game on.

Could everyone please upvote this not-a-bug?  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18017

The sadly comical thing is, my issue has 4 upvotes so far and looks like someone actually downvoted it???  (probably the guy who fixes bugs, LOL)

So my issue has 4 whole upvotes, 1 downvote... and when I sort your 1300+ bugs by vote count, my not-a-bug (with 4 upvotes) ranks 22nd in a field of 1300!!!  ...and you have to give people instructions on how to even get the field to display that you want us all looking at now?

This is a joke right?

Edited by XLjedi

Dont you have employees that are paid to work with this software?

I’ve already spent my own time to enter bugs into this tool, make screenshots, elaborate on the solutions as suggested. Now you want me to spend more of my free time organizing 1300 entries because no one bothered to triage them as they came in?   I’ve got bugs in that tracker I eagerly posted as soon as Making History dropped... 7 months ago, that haven’t even been looked at, confirmed, or anything.   Makes me wonder why I even bothered.   

Now you want more from me on this tool?   Sorry, but no thanks.  

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Dont you have employees that are paid to work with this software?

I’ve already spent my own time to enter bugs into this tool, make screenshots, elaborate on the solutions as suggested. Now you want me to spend more of my free time organizing 1300 entries because no one bothered to triage them as they came in?   I’ve got bugs in that tracker I eagerly posted as soon as Making History dropped... 7 months ago, that haven’t even been looked at, confirmed, or anything.   Makes me wonder why I even bothered.   

Now you want more from me on this tool?   Sorry, but no thanks.  

No problem. No one is forced to participate. But your pet peeves will take longer to be addressed. 

20 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

So the community didn't help a lot before, but maybe they're hoping it will this time because there seem to be a lot of people with a lot of bugs that are making them a lot of angry.

I get you can be frustrated and all but people that complain about bugs tend to have mods installed and for me stock Ksp is quite stable. I know the video you mean and I have trouble attaching parts sometimes but since I run 100 mods I cannot complain about it since it has never happend to me in stock. Lets be honest. Look at the bugs we had 4 years ago and look at what we have now... I used to go crazy about my pc crashing and fps going to 10 with 40 mods. Now I can run at 30+ with twice the mods, more complex mods and I have not payed a cent for that support. This is all on the exact same pc. I didn't need making history since there are a billion parts mods but I bought it for the amount of support we got. You can say alot of things about KSP but that bugs and issues are not being addressed is not one of them. Keep in mind that out of the 1300 bugs alot of them might not be easy to recreate and impossible to fix. Just cause some youtubers says something doesn't mean you should take his word for it. Don't complain about getting free support to a game that was released 3 years ago because we are not entitled to anything after 1.0. 

Edited by dave1904

On 12/12/2018 at 5:18 PM, Vanamonde said:

No problem. No one is forced to participate. But your pet peeves will take longer to be addressed.

(emphasize mine)

But is not exactly that the reason why the priorities should be given by a neutral party? At the moment, this "project" sounds a lot like an invitation to go campaigning for these very pet peeves...

On 12/12/2018 at 4:18 PM, Vanamonde said:

your pet peeves will take longer to be addressed. 

This bothered me enough that I had to reset my password to say something - new computer, infrequent login etc.

So my takeaway from this announcement (and Vanamonde's support of it) goes something like this:

Squad now aim to prioritise bugfixing on the basis of a popularity contest for a minority of extremely highly motivated players who are also aware of this thread, plus a tiny number who already habitually visit the bugtracker and have figured out the upvote/downvote thing on their own. Someone please draw me a venn-diagram of exactly how marginal that group will be.

I draw two conclusions from this:

a) it won't matter how severe a bug is just so long as it's (un?)popular, because the dev team don't have any vision for or sense of their product's functional identity

b) despite the playerbase doing all the hard work of identify, reporting, cataloging bugs and even making fix or workaround mods for years almost nothing has been done with this info, and now that they're finally thinking about it they want more of our collective unpaid labour to work out where to start.

So uncool :/.

IMHO, Squad is simply trying to tell us that using a bug tracker would be a more convenient way to track bugs instead of being obliged to dive into forum threads to get details and suggesting to up/down vote issues would be a way to determine which one need to be fixed first. That's all.

1 hour ago, DfA-DoM said:

IMHO, Squad is simply trying to tell us that using a bug tracker would be a more convenient way to track bugs instead of being obliged to dive into forum threads to get details and suggesting to up/down vote issues would be a way to determine which one need to be fixed first. That's all.

I mean, you're right... but that's why the bug tracker was set up like 3 or 4 years ago. The fact that it has taken this long to get to a point where they are making noises about actually using it themselves is simply a massively unappreciative and incompetent slap in the face to the people who have actually been doing their work for them by using it. Nobody ever expected Squad to trawl through the forum for bug-related issues, but bug-hunting and especially bug-squashing are kinda basic requirements of being software developers. Even with a helluva lot of user help - 1300 unique bugs! - they just really haven't bothered.

Edited by The_Rocketeer

On 12/15/2018 at 11:45 AM, The_Rocketeer said:

I mean, you're right... but that's why the bug tracker was set up like 3 or 4 years ago. The fact that it has taken this long to get to a point where they are making noises about actually using it themselves is simply a massively unappreciative and incompetent slap in the face to the people who have actually been doing their work for them by using it.

But they ARE using it. They have closed almost 200 bugs in the past year. I presume those bugs were ones that were being upvoted, and they're not saying "okay we're ready to start fixing bugs, upvote your favorites!" they're saying "okay we have this framework in place and you're not using it like the other people did and that's why we were fixing their bugs and not yours."

1 hour ago, EdwardB3020 said:

during 1.7 could @SQUAD do a bug fix only update please over the 5000 bugs out there please?

There are currently 1297 open bugs in the bug tracker.

This kind of bugtracker is not for players voting up for the stuff and looking on the every bug, it's for players submitting the bugs, and your staff solving or not solving them.

Real-time user-developer relationship with voting and user somehow influencing to the developing process in the convenient for a developer way is services like trello or favro.

examples:
https://trello.com/b/yxoJrFgP/subnautica-development
https://favro.com/organization/35200a08dbbad85b26102638/0d9378db42299691bb14c708

Edited by flart

Now that some folks have registered their upvotes...  

1. Who sets the "Priority" field?
  2. Is it possible the top 10 (or so) reported bugs might be addressed in the next update?

...and on a side note, I do feel somewhat sorry for @Squad having the "Joystick Don't Work" bug (in Linux no less) as the number two item on the list, because I know you have no earthly (errr… kerbinly?) idea how to make Joysticks or Saitek drivers function correctly with the Unity engine.  ….Windows, Linux, or otherwise.