Prioritizing Bugs in the Bugtracker

UomoCapra

On 12/18/2018 at 5:52 AM, XLjedi said:

I do feel somewhat sorry for @Squad having the "Joystick Don't Work" bug (in Linux no less) as the number two item on the list

Don't.  As far as the consumer is concerned, they bought a game on Linux with joystick support.  The game updated and suddenly their joystick doesn't work anymore.  Really, there's no defense for regressions like these.  Consumers shouldn't be required to care what engine / engine version a game is on at the current moment.  Only, whether the product works as described on the tin.

• 3 weeks later...

Community: "Would you please just spend your time fixing the bugs?"
SQUAD: *Screams and releases the Making History expansion*

I love this place. Keep on space truckin'!

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/5/2018 at 6:28 PM, UomoCapra said:

With this feature you can help us to find relevant bugs you think are important. Let’s the hunting begin!

How are you guys n gals going with the bug squashing? Despite a slew of upvote amassing issues, I haven't seen any marked as "Ready to Test" for the upcoming version...

On 2/12/2019 at 7:30 PM, klgraham1013 said:

Good to know.  Must be something on my end.

I had similar issues on my end, appears to have something to do with the size of the table... moving the "votes up" option up in the "Selected Columns" list seems to fix it.

Indeed.  Despite my previous snarkiness, I have been continuing to upvote (I always did, prior to being asked to), and encouraging other to do so as well. 

The problem is there is no management of the bugtracker by QA, or Squad or whoever.  It looks like Squelch doesnt work there anymore, he was reasonably active on the end-user side in the past.   If you want us to participate more, please reciprocate on the tool you want us to use and at least update things as their status changes.  I feel like I am just pouring more garbage on an already enormous unwieldy pile that may or may not be doing any good.   Its really really frustrating, guys.

Edit:  for example:  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/18778

That was stealth fixed in some patch, never mentioned in any patch notes.  The bugtracker listing never was changed from "Investigating" so I was never told to actually test it.  I took it upon myself to do so, realized its fixed, but all I can do is set it to "Updated" because resolved or closed is not available.  Essentially, this was going to be left as perpetually opened, because no one bother to come back in and say "hey we fixed this fellas, give it a try" or even just set it to fixed based on a patch note (which the fix was never actually included in.)   Its like a comedy of errors and not awesome.

Edit again:  Here we see another:  https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/17828

Squelch changed it to "Being Worked On" 10 months ago.  Was never set to Ready to Test, and OP mentions it was fixed in 1.4.3 also 10 months ago.

And so it sits as the 7th most-upvoted, currently open bug on this bugtracker.

Edited by klesh

On 2/12/2019 at 8:11 AM, klgraham1013 said:

@UomoCapra I can no longer see votes while using the sorting method.  Bug reports still have votes shown within the reports themselves.

You have to be logged in for them to show up in the query otherwise the colum just shows a "-" for every Votes Up entry.

Edited by klesh
spelling

Many of us forum users have said that parts-artists and bug-fixers are distinct skill-sets, but there is some overlap.
More than 1/3 of the bugs with 10 net up-votes or more have suggested fixes related to part-configuration or part-modelling.
I do not find sorting by net up-votes to be a good indication of importance, but I sorted anyway:

Spoiler

16159  Jumping on physics start (Needs a new example on the tracker.)

19454 & 19427 Endless bouncing Landing Gear
       Maybe needs a new wheel-physics library.  (KSPWheel and its stock config proves alternatives exist.)

18108  Landed craft start above terrain on physics start
       Happens on hills near launch-sites but outside their boundaries.

20745  Inconsistent part widths
       Parts models

17984  Joysticks on Linux

17912  Kerbal Parachutes should unlock with Astronaut Complex upgrade

21278  Adjust selection of mipmap detail-level
       Change the 'mipmapbias' setting upon loading the parts' textures 

19376  Structural Tubes from M.H. missing config, causing drag
       Parts configuration files

18017  Mk3 Cargo Ramp
       Parts models (substituting a model from a mod removes the bug, details on tracker)

20268  1.5.1 Making History KV-1/2/3 terrible aerodynamics

20683  Engines have drag inconsistent with their shape

21006  "Warp to maneuver" button near navball

19232  Suspension extends fully when near other parts
       Maybe needs a new wheel-physics library.

21314  Requests new part: 1.25m Engine Plate
       Parts models

20840  Engines have incorrect Centres of Mass

20423  Mk2 Fuselage Textures  (actually, problem with applying symmetry to them in the VAB/SPH)

19597  EVA science leaves Kerbal unresponsive on consoles

20256  Lag spike when updating map view nodes

18126  Structural Tubes don't shield objects inside of them

17834  Plasma shock effects visible through craft

20354  Interstage Fairings cannot be deployed in some cases

20743  Main Menu: "Addons & Mods"
       outdated web-link

Edited by OHara

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2019 at 4:15 PM, klesh said:

The problem is there is no management of the bugtracker by QA, or Squad or whoever.  It looks like Squelch doesnt work there anymore, he was reasonably active on the end-user side in the past.   If you want us to participate more, please reciprocate on the tool you want us to use and at least update things as their status changes.  I feel like I am just pouring more garbage on an already enormous unwieldy pile that may or may not be doing any good.   Its really really frustrating, guys.

They need to pay a QA Manager. Someone that would be able to sort through the bugs and prioritize them, close duplicates, update them and so on.

I logged a bug there myself. But it never changed the status and it has been logged since December 2016. Was it ever fixed? I never bothered to check in the game as the bug itself was never updated from "New". If Squad can't be bothered, I can't be bothered. I found other bugs but I never reported them because I did what Squad did, I stopped caring.

• 2 weeks later...

@SQUAD looks like you put some effort in squashing a number of bugs in 1.7.0, great stuff!

You might want to remind users who filed bug reports to check if any relevant issues have been fixed successfully. Notify them in this topic for example... just a friendly suggestion.

Edited by Yakuzi

11 hours ago, Yakuzi said:

@SQUAD

looks like you put some effort in squashing a number of bugs in 1.7.0, great stuff!

You might want to remind users who filed bug reports to check if any relevant issues have been fixed successfully. Notify them in this topic for example... just a friendly suggestion.

Once you filled a bug (or commented one), you're automatically notified by mail on each status change. This a major feature of this kind of bug tracker.

Eg. I received a mail for this one: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19427#change-116820

Edited by DfA-DoM

7 hours ago, DfA-DoM said:

Once you filled a bug (or commented one), you're automatically notified by mail on each status change. This a major feature of this kind of bug tracker.

Eg. I received a mail for this one: https://bugs.kerbalspaceprogram.com/issues/19427#change-116820

Cool thanks,  should prolly look into activating those notifications again.

Still, I don't think a bit of communication here would hurt the bug squashing process, as it will keep the community more active (I know it would for me at least).

3 hours ago, Yakuzi said:

Cool thanks,  should prolly look into activating those notifications again.

Still, I don't think a bit of communication here would hurt the bug squashing process, as it will keep the community more active (I know it would for me at least).

Yep.  Feeling like you're not shouting into the void is very beneficial.

• 1 month later...

They dont seem to be listening anymore.

ShadowZones video talked about technical debt.

KSPs burntime indicator doesnt work correctly,

The deltav they added doesnt work correctly,

Since 1.7.1 and BG came out the bugs just for 1.7.1 are over 40 now.

People are complaining about what they are calling lagging. theres sticking in the editors (SPH/VAB) and that doesnt take too long to start happening even to a craft size that is only a few hundred parts.

The garbage collection system keeps sticking the game when in world doing something. Within an hour I can feel this

When I get an encounter with something the game will freeze for a second and when if the engines are actually firing it makes its really annoying for accuracy. (I think someone said that was fixed in a bug report. Its not)

Rovers and docking ports are still an issue and have been since 1.4.2

Ships docking in space will move when they dock unnaturally

The technical debit he mentioned was basically that when you add something to a piece of software and its not working exactly right....then the next update has something wrong with it too, and then the next and the next until the game is unplayable.

This is actually what is happening to KSP.

I submitted a LOT of bug reports this year and none of them seemed to have been taking seriously.

@JPLRepo I love this game....whats going on? Is there any way to start chewing through this bugs? Hell I would pay for a bug fixing DLC....what about a kickstarter....