Mod Packs?? why Non?

DEG

I have been playing ksp for about 5 months now with only visual mods..

im now to the point were i want to try RSS realistic type mods...why is moding this game so pain full... why no mod packs collaborations?

anyway maybe i missed some thing can anyone point me to a thread or in the right direction to a mod pack or at least whats the best version of KSP for RSS?? 

I really want to play RSS but not really trying to  make this a week ordeal of downloading CTDing and tweeking mod files ;(

Edited by DEG

Mod packs aren't a thing for many reasons, but you've discovered one of the most important - troubleshooting. If you're having a serious bug it's a lot easier to troubleshoot if you can add and remove individual mods to see which one's breaking your game. If it were all one monolithic pack it would be much more difficult to sort out the problem.

Another reason is tied to update cycle. If you're using a mod pack and the game updates the entire mod pack is limited by the last mod to update and if certain mods never update the pack is stuck. Customization is the last big non-technical one - mod users use mods so they can customize their experience and a mod pack limits that flexibility

If you're looking for recommended mods go to the RSS page. It provides you a recommended companion mod list. That should be a good starting point.

If you're looking for easier way to install mods try CKAN, it's not perfect, but in most cases it works well and it'll automatically recommend dependencies and other mods that work well with the one you're installing.

Edited by Tyko

Another reason for the lack of mod packs is the licensing.   Some mods that would be central to certain types of packs are released under a restrictive license that prevents them from being including in other distributions.    The amount of work to assemble a legal mod pack would be quite a lot, and then you might even have to ask some modders to change their license. 

Well for how much labor and head ache moding brings it makes this game really shine! (I'm new to moding as well so)

Thank you for suggesting CKAN !! 

Because of this I now have a working beautiful RSS running with about 40 mods running stable and no bugs anymore..took me a bit because a certain version of scatter I couldn't find for 1.3. ..

But wow CKAN saved me countless hours of searching  year old threads with broken links and changing version my head was starting to hurt haha.

Praise the guy who made CKAN!

Thanks again

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.