A KSP Loading... Preview: Helmet Removal

SQUAD

23 minutes ago, Paaaad said:

Edit: Also, I just realized that this  ^  Is an old style decoupler. Why would that be?

Because it’s an old stock craft, and it kept some old parts that are different to new ones (e.g. decouplers and possibly Hammer SRBs).

Well we've learned an interesting aspect about Kerbal biology: when they suffocate, they vaporize... :o

I would hope they would just ragdoll like during a rover crash, but would simply become uncontrollable and unresponsive.  But then again, it might be a little morbid to have a bunch of Kerbals laying around in uncomfortable positions with their eyes open. :P

But yes, I am also encouraged by all the other little tidbits that people are spotting in the preview vid.

1 hour ago, Paaaad said:

Edit: Also, I just realized that this  ^  Is an old style decoupler. Why would that be?

Interesting. maybe they put it back in as a variant. That Okto2 also looks more like the old texture than the new (though the image is grainy)

Curiouser and curiouser.

Nice to see the team responding to community feedback with these touches (see also launching from a command seat). I think 1.2 was such a great release because so much happened based on listening to players, I look forward to 1.6 and beyond if they keep an open mind about the balance between the game and the community.

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Interesting. maybe they put it back in as a variant. That Okto2 also looks more like the old texture than the new (though the image is grainy)

Curiouser and curiouser.

All the old parts are still in game. Looks like this is a stock rocket design, so they're all present (in the same way the Kerbal X still has the old 3 man pod)

As for the nose cone, either they manually replaced them on the rocket, or the old nose cone has been deleted entirely.

Edited by V7 Aerospace

1 minute ago, V7 Aerospace said:

All the old parts are still in game. Looks like this is a stock rocket design, so they're all present (in the same way the Kerbal X still has the old 3 man pod)

As for the nose cone, either they manually replaced them on the rocket, or the old nose cone has been deleted entirely.

Not entirely true. The 1.25m rocket tanks were upgraded in place in 1.5. Other parts have received the same treatment, though it's not clear what the criteria are for "upgrade in palce" or "deprecate the old ones but leave them in the game"

1 hour ago, Brotoro said:

My interest in helmet removal dropped to nearly zero when I saw the Delta V stuff.

Although I will admit to being very curious as to whether Kerbals can breathe on Laythe.

Maybe try bringing back Long Term Laythe in 1.6 and see what kind of universe-destroying shenanigans happen :sticktongue:

Today I learned just how much people don't like those neck rings.

But in all seriousness, this is a very simple but nice feature! Having kerbals be affected by a lack of oxygen is a good feature too. I am curious to know what happens when one removes a kerbal's helmet in non-Kerbin atmospheres like Eve, Duna, or Laythe.

1 hour ago, Lupi said:

Not entirely true. The 1.25m rocket tanks were upgraded in place in 1.5. Other parts have received the same treatment, though it's not clear what the criteria are for "upgrade in palce" or "deprecate the old ones but leave them in the game"

True, maybe they've added the ability to switch between the old part designs and new ones.

It will remain a mystery it seems..

2 hours ago, V7 Aerospace said:

True, maybe they've added the ability to switch between the old part designs and new ones.

It will remain a mystery it seems..

No, I think that's just a stock rocket and they haven't swapped out the old versions of the parts yet.

37 minutes ago, RealKerbal3x said:

No, I think that's just a stock rocket and they haven't swapped out the old versions of the parts yet.

That's what I thought too, but according to Lupi, the old 1.25m fuel tanks are no longer in the files.

Edited by V7 Aerospace

Doubt I will use it a lot myself, beyond playing with it 'cos it's new', but I really do like the helmet removal feature.

Stock Dv readout, wow!  A very welcome and overdue addition.  That said, until it gets confirmed officially, I am keeping my anticipation in check.  It could just be a screen shot from a test build with it in so may not make it in to 1.6...   Roll on 1.7 or 1.8 or whenever, but it's good to see some evidence that they are on to it.

Edit...  Dv in1.6 confirmed. Anticipation officially unchecked.

Edited by pandaman

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.