A KSP Loading... Preview: Helmet Removal

SQUAD

On 12/6/2018 at 12:00 PM, SQUAD said:

Kerbals will be able to remove their Helmets and their neck rings in Update 1.6. Just remember they need Oxygen to survive, too!

Can they remove their parachutes, too? Looks really awful on the Mun with a chute.

Hi.

I haven’t played in a long while but still read the forum for new stuff and ideas.

And 1.6  will make me play again.

But I find Jeb disappearing in a giant puff of greasy smoke a bit disturbing.

Agreed we can't have dead Kerbals around either. That Kerbals explode on re-entry or giant collision is acceptable of course.

Does anyone remember a TV show called "The Invaders"? The aliens used to burn up when killed. They would leave a singed patch on the ground

So, they are small green aliens, could they just overheat (Yellow-orange-red-gone) and disappear?

Maybe that would give us a short warning with time enough to click on "Equip Helmet" if we are on the ball?

Thanks all.

Edited by Martian Emigrant

1 hour ago, tater said:

Can they remove their parachutes, too? Looks really awful on the Mun with a chute.

Agreed.  While the chutes were a surprising and great addition not to mention the extra effort put in to correct the mistakes on their first rendition, I really feel like having them appear at all times is a bit heavy-handed.  We could really use a PAW option to take them off.

Just now, klesh said:

Agreed.  While the chutes were a surprising and great addition not to mention the extra effort put in to correct the mistakes on their first rendition, I really feel like having them appear at all times is a bit heavy-handed.  We could really use a PAW option to take them off.

Indeed. In fact, I'd rather have the chutes with NO model on the kerbal at all (they appear from nowhere), then have the chute on the kerbal 100% of the time, given I have literally only used a chute once, just to see how they worked, and it's unlikely I ever use one again.

32 minutes ago, PewPewTrash said:

@SQUADWill the kerbals be able to breath on places such as Eve? Where their is probably suitable air but might have harmful gases in it? What about Laythe?

I don't think so. Eve's atmosphere is over 100 degrees C at sea level, and most likely contains corrosive and toxic gases and vapours.

Laythe might, but it's likely that in addition to oxygen, there are toxic gases as well.

Edited by V7 Aerospace

1 hour ago, PewPewTrash said:

@SQUADWill the kerbals be able to breath on places such as Eve? Where their is probably suitable air but might have harmful gases in it? What about Laythe?

Uomo's answer was that this will be up to the players to discover by experimentation. 

also it would be nice if we could take off the full backpack and when we do so, it drops and falls to the ground, where we could pick it up. and we wouldt be able to survive in space if we dont have it, as it contains the life support systems thing.

also, you could directly go outside EVA without the backpack, and the pod will store the back pack.

for example a pod with 3 kerbals and 3 backpacks, if one goes out and drops his backpack, when hes back on the pod there would be 3 kerbals and 2 back packs, so only 2 could get out in space, or 2 could get out with the backpack.

On 12/6/2018 at 2:17 PM, Angel-125 said:

@SQUAD This is a small but significant and welcome change! Thank you for listening to the player requests for this feature! Well done!

It would be extremely helpful if the death by vacuum feature could be overridden by a mod for certain story purposes. Some like to make sets out of parts that look like the interior of a spacecraft. Just ask @JustJim about that.. :)

This!

Dave Kerman was in such a hurry to go rescue Frank Kerman that he forgot his helmet. And now the AI (Hal Kerman) won't open the doors to let him back in.

Can he survive long enough to cross 10 meters of space to the airlock???

@JPLRepo how about it? At least an API interface to allow overriding by modders.

3 hours ago, Starwaster said:

This!

Dave Kerman was in such a hurry to go rescue Frank Kerman that he forgot his helmet. And now the AI (Hal Kerman) won't open the doors to let him back in.

Can he survive long enough to cross 10 meters of space to the airlock???

@JPLRepo how about it? At least an API interface to allow overriding by modders.

Of course there is an API interface for the helmet and neck ring feature.

Would be cooler to have an animation attached to helmet removal. Id rather have it poof in their hands as they are putting it in their eva pack err something. I guess its better than nothing tho.

Pretty sure a mod already does this function(TextureReplacer?) but atleast they wont need to support it anymore so thats pretty cool too.

On 12/8/2018 at 5:41 AM, pandaman said:

Doubt I will use it a lot myself, beyond playing with it 'cos it's new', but I really do like the helmet removal feature.

Stock Dv readout, wow!  A very welcome and overdue addition.  That said, until it gets confirmed officially, I am keeping my anticipation in check.  It could just be a screen shot from a test build with it in so may not make it in to 1.6...   Roll on 1.7 or 1.8 or whenever, but it's good to see some evidence that they are on to it.

Edit...  Dv in1.6 confirmed. Anticipation officially unchecked.

Yes the title of the update would look really bad if it's not to Vee until 1.7 or later. 

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.