Alt-click and radial symmetry beyond 2x stopped working

In the past few days, I noticed the following issues: occasionally when trying to radially attach a part in the VAB, it simply stops working beyond 2x symmetry. That is, no symmetry, mirror and 2x radial work properly but at 3x radial and above, the ghosted preview of the parts does not appear, no parts get placed when clicking and the framerate chugs down. It happens both when the part itself is being radially attached and when the part is being attached via node to a radially attached part.

About half an hour ago, it happened again, but only to fuel tanks. Landing legs worked fine even at 12x radial, but whenever I picked up a fuel tank and hovered it near another part for radial attachment, no ghost, no placement and framerate tanked. Alt-clicking to copy a placed part also stopped working. Yet if I mount said fuel tank on a radial decoupler, grab the decoupler and increase symmetry level, it works just fine! Console window showed ArgumentOutOfRangeException spam sandwiched between rapid-fire "ship changed, auto-updating my stuff" log entries from ShipSections and BetterCrewAssignment, which also appears in output_log.txt with the following stack trace:

ArgumentOutOfRangeException: Argument is out of range.
Parameter name: index
  at System.Collections.Generic.List`1[PartResource].get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at DictionaryValueList`2[System.Int32,PartResource].At (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at PartResourceList.get_Item (Int32 index) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at Part.OnCopy (.Part original, Boolean asSymCounterpart) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.createSymmetry (Int32 mode, .Attachment attach) [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.<SetupFSM>m__D () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at (wrapper delegate-invoke) Callback:invoke_void__this__ ()
  at KerbalFSM.UpdateFSM () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 
  at EditorLogic.Update () [0x00000] in <filename unknown>:0 

Exiting and reentering the VAB didn't fix it. I don't think it's ShipSections or BetterCrewAssignment acting up since as far as I know, neither of those mods touch part resources. The only mods I have that do are Kerbal Engineer and Configurable Containers. But just to be safe, I'm dumping BetterCrewAssignment and Configurable Containers since I'm not using them anyway.

Unfortunately, it got overwritten when I did another session yesterday after posting this. That being said, I didn't encounter it again after having uninstalled BetterCrewAssignment and Configurable Containers, so one of those could've been the culprit. Especially since CKAN says Configurable Containers wasn't even updated since KSP 1.4.5.

...and indeed, someone already reported the exact same thing in CC's thread. So I guess we've got the culprit. I'll be taking this issue to that thread.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.