• Ubuntu/variants
    • Dual boot
    • Other

I was wondering what distro other forum users have installed 

if you dual boot with windows that does not count as a dual boot in this quiz

also if you use another distro please explain which one

Edited by lapis999

I have four machines running Linux:
My desktop runs Mint, a derivative of Ubuntu, and is dual-booted with Windows 7—not that I ever use it anymore.
My laptop runs Fedora, and is dual-booted with Windows 7—used on rare occaisions, primarily for CAD work.
My server runs Ubuntu.
My BeagleBone, a RPi-alike, runs Debian.

In the house we have...

• 2 Desktops running Linux Mint 18.3 with the MATE desktop.
  • 2 Desktops running Linux Mint 18.2 with the MATE desktop.
  • 1 Desktop running Linux Mint 18.3 with the MATE desktop dual booting with Windows 10.
  • 5 Laptops running Linux Mint 18.3 with the MATE desktop.
  • 3 Servers running Ubuntu 16.04 server.
  • 1 Server running PFSense 2.4.4.
  • 4 Raspberry Pis running Raspbian... something.  Whatever comes with the Octoprint image.  No DEs on any of them.

Currently using Ubuntu MATE on my personal laptop and Gaming Desktop (dual-booted with Windows 10 -- upgrading from 7 was a mistake). I also have an old Thinkpad T42 running Ubuntu 10.04 (an awesome version, too bad it's long past EOL), and three Raspberry Pi's running Raspbian (which really rubs me the wrong way, actually. I think I'll get a different distro for them. Tinycore?) I'm planning to install Q4OS on my mother's two laptops, as a low-requirements Windows-lookalike she should enjoy it (despite my hatred of windows, Q4OS is actually quite a great system).

Edited by daniel l.

11 minutes ago, daniel l. said:

Q4OS

Hm.. Never heard of it.  I'm gonna have to read up on that.  One of my laptops isn't the newest, and while it technically meets Mint's minimums, it doesn't run that great.  Might be worth a try.

39 minutes ago, stibbons said:

At work we're exclusively Ubuntu. 

I wish.  I've got three servers running Ubuntu at work, but unfortunately we work on a lot of antiquated stuff that is very Windows exclusive, so all the desktops are Windows.

I dual boot an old pc with debian for more serious stuff (servers/scripting/messing around) and ubuntu for games(KSP!)

lubuntu on an old netbook

bunsenlabs on the twin of the other netbook

ubuntu on an old laptop with bios issues(repairing now)

and cloud ready on the laptop I am typing this on( technically based off of chromium os)

Edited by lapis999

7 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

Back when I was all-Linux-all-the-time (i.e. pre-Win7) I was Mostly Kubuntu with a shade of Mint, transferring slowly to all-Mint.

I've not had a Linux box in my house for years. I'm about to set one up, though, as a Plex server.

You should try Linux again as a home OS. It's gotten way better for casual use (friendly UI, better hardware support, more apps and games, etc), and with Windows kind of going down the drain (forced updates, overdone obsession with mobile despite being a desktop OS, bloated, buggy, slow). Nowadays I'd either use Linux or stick with Windows 7.

Edited by daniel l.

2 hours ago, daniel l. said:

You should try Linux again as a home OS. It's gotten way better for casual use (friendly UI, better hardware support, more apps and games, etc), and with Windows kind of going down the drain (forced updates, overdone obsession with mobile despite being a desktop OS, bloated, buggy, slow). Nowadays I'd either use Linux or stick with Windows 7.

If I could prove out 100% ability to play every game I want, then I'd do it. I'm not going to have a computer I can't use for what I got a computer for.

15 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

If I could prove out 100% ability to play every game I want, then I'd do it. I'm not going to have a computer I can't use for what I got a computer for.

Fair. Though you could always dual boot from a partition or second drive. I find that Windows, while better for gaming, is largely inferior for casual browsing and development.

i have not made much progress on linux pcs, but i am pretty good with the raspbian distro on the pi. turns out that a lot of my favorite 90s games have pi ports. so that makes that platform a great portable. 

4 hours ago, 5thHorseman said:

If you have a lot of Steam games, you can also read into Steam Play.  Steam's been pushing for custom, no user config WINE wrappers for each Windows only game to be able to play on Linux.  I've had mixed results so far.

But I feel ya.  I have a dual boot LM/Windows 10 just for one stubborn game that refuses to play in WINE.  (It starts and does the intro... then sticks to a black screen when you continue.)

2 minutes ago, lapis999 said:

what game?

Breathedge, but it is in development ATM, so I'm not too worried about it.  I might have better luck if I'd gotten the Steam version instead of the GoG version, assuming there's even a Steam Play wrapper available for it.

2 minutes ago, Harry Rhodan said:

The best example I've seen so far is Grim Dawn. It runs perfectly but the wrapper still triggers the DRM, which means you can't choose a class and bosses won't spawn so you can never progress.

I wonder if that's why Left4Dead doesn't work.  Menus load, lets you pick a lever and character, but locks up when you actually try to start a game.

16 hours ago, lapis999 said:

if you dual boot with windows that does not count as a dual boot

Whoops !

I currently use Kubuntu, having heard that purportedly "KDE is a little bit easier to understand" (though it severely lacks on the rip-open-your-computer section so I kind of regret it - the reason I even have linux is to clean up the laptop when needed). Though it's secondary to the Windows 10 and Windows 7.

And boy oh boy I'm happy with Windows 7. The midi sounds used are nostalgic - Linux version is like having been put through a tin can and rattled inside (fortunately I found a way to use the windows midi samples on linux).

8 hours ago, daniel l. said:

Fair. Though you could always dual boot from a partition or second drive. I find that Windows, while better for gaming, is largely inferior for casual browsing and development.

See that seems like work.

7 hours ago, 0111narwhalz said:

Wine is actually becoming almost viable these days, if that helps.

It almost does ;)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.