[Solved (well, sort of)] Help with joints breaking when they really should not

Quite a long ago I've starting writing a mod that implements locking between parts Link

ZodiusInfuser even made a shiny model for the part. The mod sort of works, it creates ConfigurableJoint between lock parts and its behavior is reasonable, unless I try to load a scene where lock is engaged - the part joint (that one that connects the part to its parent) destroyed despite of having 'Unbreakable Joints' on. The lock joint is recreated when fired 'VesselGoOffRails', and part joint destroyed right after that.

I feel like I'm missing something simple, but my experience is limited.

Current code is here: https://github.com/whale2/InnerLock/tree/fsm , actual module code is this: https://github.com/whale2/InnerLock/blob/fsm/InnerLock/LockMechanism2.cs
Any ideas will be greatly appreciated.

Edited by whale_2
Solved

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, Trufiadok said:

I also experienced the same. I made a fixedJoint connection between two parts. If I reconnected fixedJoint after loading, then a giant tension awakened and a part exploded.

I put down this solution. It would be good if someone found a solution to the problem.

In fact, I tried not to create a ConfigurableJoint, but AttachmentNode instead and so far it seems to behave much better. 

2 hours ago, whale_2 said:

In fact, I tried not to create a ConfigurableJoint, but AttachmentNode instead and so far it seems to behave much better. 

Thanks, I will try AttachmentNode. 

Does this cause a recursive problem for vessel's in the tree structure? Like DockingNode? 

I am thinking recursive problem that if a robot arm is docked to the vessel and it catches another part of the vessel through a DockingPort, recursion will occur. If I undock DockingNode on the robot arm (example endeffector), both ends of the robot arm will be undocken.

• 1 month later...

Not really sure what helped but so far the combo of having AttachNode with PartJoint and additional ConfigurableJoint seems getting the job done.

What I still don't is the rigidity of the joint - it still moves under pressure whatever other joint tweaks I try.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.