Rover 6428

3 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

Please could you advise me how or where to change the settings for kerbal helmets. It is just that I want to make them wear their IVA helmets during launch or decent.

You can't. Not yet anyway - the most recent KSP Loading preview shows (among other things) the possibility of removing helmets and neck rings, but this is a feature to be introduced in the upcoming version (1.6) of KSP.

There's no such thing as an 'IVA helmet' btw. They either wear their EVA helmet, or nothing.

1 hour ago, swjr-swis said:

You can't. Not yet anyway - the most recent KSP Loading preview shows (among other things) the possibility of removing helmets and neck rings, but this is a feature to be introduced in the upcoming version (1.6) of KSP.

There's no such thing as an 'IVA helmet' btw. They either wear their EVA helmet, or nothing.

I mean for when they are inside the ship

44 minutes ago, Rover6428 said:

I mean for when they are inside the ship

Yes, I assumed that's what you meant, since you referred to IVA and launch/descent.

In retrospect, I guess their little teaser doesn't really say anything about IVA. Would be a bit disappointing if it turns out they can't remove their helmets inside a cabin. But we'll have to wait and see when 1.6 comes around.

2 hours ago, swjr-swis said:

Yes, I assumed that's what you meant, since you referred to IVA and launch/descent.

In retrospect, I guess their little teaser doesn't really say anything about IVA. Would be a bit disappointing if it turns out they can't remove their helmets inside a cabin. But we'll have to wait and see when 1.6 comes around.

Wait. You said that "they can't remove their helmets inside a cabin" So it IS possible to have kerbals with their helmets ON during flight, right?

Whether a Kerbal has their helmet on while inside a spacecraft is defined by the part's IVA configuration file. There's a line in the internal.cfg file for each seat that reads:
"allowCrewHelmet = "
and then either "true" or "false". It should be reasonably self-explanatory; "true" gives them a helmet, "false" removes their helmet.

The problem is, this can't be changed in flight. You can state whether or not a certain part should have its crew wearing helmets, but you can't change this while you're on a mission.
However, from memory, that function is provided by Texture Replacer. Admittedly, the last time I used it was several versions ago, and that feature may have been changed (it might even have been a different mod and my memory's just wrong), but it would put helmets on your Kerbals during launch, and remove them once you were in a stable orbit.

Hope this helps! :) 

5 hours ago, Rover6428 said:

Wait. You said that "they can't remove their helmets inside a cabin" So it IS possible to have kerbals with their helmets ON during flight, right?

I should've phrased that differently. Kerbals spawn inside a cabin with their helmets off - at least all the stock cabins.

What I was focusing on is that we have no way to change this status in the current stock game. Since they are adding a feature to the game in 1.6 to allow removing the helmet when outside, it would be logical to also allow us to do the reverse when inside... ie. put on the helmets. It's speculation though because the preview doesn't show an inside (IVA) interaction.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.