KSP Loading... Preview: The Δv per Stage Display

SQUAD

2 hours ago, klesh said:

Interesting to see if the deltav thing will work under all circumstances.  For instance, the engine plates from MH still reverse the fuel flow as displayed by the game, and also confuse the Engineers report into thinking they are a decoupler placed upside down.  With issues like that lingering, lets just say my confidence will stay reserved for now.  

I couldn't speak to the fuel plate issue, but keep in mind given the near infinite ways players can build in KSP no dV calculator is going to work perfectly under all circomstances. Take an apolo-style orbiter and lander with engines on both sides of the docking ports; some amount of fuel is going to be burned by the orbiter engine to get out to the mun and circularize, then the lander is going to spend dV going down to the surface and come back up dry, at which point the orbiter fires back up for the return trajectory. Because the game has no idea when you'll be docking and un-docking its impossible for it to know exactly how much mass the engines are pushing through the duration of the flight. To get a more accurate value, just like with KER or Mechjeb, you'll need to pull your craft apart in the VAB and scratch down the dV for each leg manually. 

(Forgive me if this is all obvious and patronizing, just an important point to be made about dV calculators in general.)

41 minutes ago, razark said:

If I want to drive my rover to the Mun, I should be able to!

0216_nws-tdb-l-roadster.jpg?w=620

On the broader point, still gonna need me some Mechjeb for this. I live on aerobraking.

JHyeITq.png

Edited by Pthigrivi

40 minutes ago, 5thHorseman said:

See I've been using KER for years and I still have to send my fair share of rescue missions.

I have to admit that I have never ever used a dV display, so I can just speculate about how reliable one can plan with it. But maybe wasting less lifetime could also be a good thing :D

5 minutes ago, evileye.x said:

What I said is so less wrong than "no-one-asked-for" still...

I'll chalk up two votes for it on my scoreboard.  

New parts = GOOD!  Redo parts = BAD!

Love the new poodle for instance, just still want new players to have access to the old one, as opposed to phasing it out. (WHY?)   Same for hammer engines, etc.  Hate that older favorite designs get obsoleted by unnecessary part changes.  Many of the new designs are looking more and more sterile... losing their "kerbalness" one piece at a time and some of the charm of the game is falling away.

Edited by XLjedi

26 minutes ago, XLjedi said:

New parts = GOOD!  Redo parts = BAD!

I'd like to disagree there.
Or would you prefer parts that look like this 
7976491748_2fbabfed62_b.jpg
Alongside parts that look like this 
maxresdefault.jpg
(Yes I just grabbed some images from google image search).

Having an uniform artstyle is a long asked for addition.
(and I personally prefer a more serious rocket science art style over old 0.1X leftovers)
New part would be nice. 
The new tools we get (easy editor switch, 1.4; Stock takecommand 1.5; Stock DeltaVreadouts 1.6 etc) are nice too

15 minutes ago, GrandProtectorDark said:

I'd like to disagree there.
Or would you prefer parts that look like this 

I would prefer the parts (and my associated craft) not die.  And I'm not sure why anyone would argue for less available options?  They could use their variant engine if they wanted to...  no reason to get rid of a part or look that people have built into their favorite crafts.

New spiffy parts (or variants) can be added without having to dismiss the look/shape of the legacy parts.

Edited by XLjedi

Just now, evileye.x said:

There's mod for legacy parts, you can have very old designs in your game if you wish so. But don't stay on the way of progress, please) 

That's the problem...  I build things specifically in stock to share with people who don't use mods.  I'm not standing in the way of progress at all.  I'm calling out the very unnecessary plans to retire the stock parts, for no reason.  Add all the new parts and/or part variants you want.

2 hours ago, Kergarin said:

I have to admit that I have never ever used a dV display, so I can just speculate about how reliable one can plan with it. But maybe wasting less lifetime could also be a good thing :D

Yeah the big part is, dV is one (big) part of mission success. If you don't have the dV, the mission is simply dead before it even starts. Creative players can kill a mission at any given phase, however :)

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.