Yay dV! Now lets include the other data

OK devs, keep the train going. The community love is flowing, lets keep the momentum up.

Ap/Pe readout in craft view, as well as radar altitude. Easy to add, big payoff for players. This is an easy win.

Some sort of transfer window planner, either by feel or raw numbers. By feel I mean showing a color gradient in the orbits in the control center, otherwise a proper planner a la TWP, or a guided approach like KAC. You have the coder on staff already, should be straightforward. An unlockable progression in career mode is perfectly fine. This is a big stumbling block to leave the Kerbin system, helping the player a bit is pretty important.

These three things on top of dV would complete the obvious data needed by players in game. Let's get this stuff in stock and move on to more interesting stuff!

Edited by Waxing_Kibbous

I would kill for a simple list of transfer window phase angles, for both leaving Kerbin and coming back, because I can go to Duna fine, but I never know how to come back without a mod - generally KAC warping to the window.

12 hours ago, Waxing_Kibbous said:

OK devs, keep the train going. The community love is flowing, lets keep the momentum up.

Ap/Pe readout in craft view, as well as radar altitude. Easy to add, big payoff for players. This is an easy win.

Some sort of transfer window planner, either by feel or raw numbers. By feel I mean showing a color gradient in the orbits in the control center, otherwise a proper planner a la TWP, or a guided approach like KAC. You have the coder on staff already, should be straightforward. An unlockable progression in career mode is perfectly fine. This is a big stumbling block to leave the Kerbin system, helping the player a bit is pretty important.

These three things on top of dV would complete the obvious data needed by players in game. Let's get this stuff in stock and move on to more interesting stuff!

For me the big one would be the radar altitude (although Ap/Pe readout would be nice), which always seemed such a strange omission. If the stock game included the radar altitiude as well as the announced dV readout, then I'd be able to drop using KER. I know that mod's got a lot of other functionality, but for me those were the only two I used it for.

2 hours ago, purpleivan said:

If the stock game included the radar altitiude

The stock game actually does tell you the radar altitude, but it's on a hard-to-read analogue dial inside command modules.

I would like it if they made the altitude indicator clickable so you could switch between sea-level altitude and AGL. Kind of like how the navball switches between Orbit, Surface and Target modes.

3 hours ago, RealKerbal3x said:

The stock game actually does tell you the radar altitude, but it's on a hard-to-read analogue dial inside command modules.

It still blows my mind that Squad has considered this "good enough" for 5+ years.  I just can't comprehend their thinking on this one.

1 minute ago, klgraham1013 said:

It still blows my mind that Squad has considered this "good enough" for 5+ years.  I just can't comprehend their thinking on this one.

Yeah...While Squad has overall created a fantastic game, some of the choices involved were...puzzling, to say the least :huh:

1 hour ago, RealKerbal3x said:

Yeah...While Squad has overall created a fantastic game, some of the choices involved were...puzzling, to say the least :huh:

The speed indicator inside capsules is normal text slapped on a faintly visible 7-segment display!

16 hours ago, klgraham1013 said:

I doubt there were countless (or any) development meetings over the past 5 years where this was continually brought up and everybody agreed that because it was in the IVA view, it was okay to not put it anywhere else.

1 minute ago, 5thHorseman said:

I doubt there were countless (or any) development meetings over the past 5 years where this was continually brought up and everybody agreed that because it was in the IVA view, it was okay to not put it anywhere else.

That's sort of my point.  5+ years and Squad has only ever marginally put thought toward how such information is displayed.  Thankfully, that seems to maybe, possibly be changing.

Heck.  Instead of doing it right the first time and integrating the gizmo buttons into the UI next to symmetry and angle snap, they're just floating in the air in the VAB.  It's these little things that could have so easily been done right the first time that bug me.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.