Pizza Cutting Challenge

Hi all, this is my first challenge, so hope it works out...

To celebrate the success of the Carbart Lithobraker, the engineers at the VAB have cooked up a prize, the Pizza. There's just one small issue: for "structural integrity", the engineers used aerodynamic fins. Of course, this was fine until the manager of the KSC revealed that they wanted the pizza to be sliced live. So now, they need something to 'cut' it. 

fTmupEL.png

Basically, destroy all of the gray/yellow aero fins.

Rules:

• You must destroy all of the yellow fins.
    • This can be done by pointing an engine at it, hitting it with something, etc. By no means are these the only methods, though.
  • Do not destroy any other parts on the 'pizza'
  • No HyperEdit, debug cheats, or using part offset to spawn the craft high up, to the side, etc
  • No Whack-a-Kerbal
  • No two-capsule rollers or the like (ex. two mk1 capsules attached together and spun around)
  • VesselMover is recommended to move the 'pizza' to any location; however, VesselMover can't be used to move your craft that will complete the challenge; if the pizza cutter is connected to the pizza, then VesselMover can't be used; VesselMover is only allowed for just the pizza (eg placing it on the VAB helipad or off the runway).
  • Modded crafts are allowed but will be put on their own leaderboard
  • Parts can be detached (such as bombs), the scoring will count for both the detached part and the craft that carries it to the target
  • The craft can be unmanned
  • Provide video evidence or a screenshots, including one of your craft and the cut-up pizza.

Get the pizza here: https://kerbalx.com/Alienonawall/Pizza.                                                                           

Just load it and place it wherever you want.                                                                                                     

*note: the part count is relatively high (104 parts)

Scoring:

Spoiler

Lowest score wins!

• +1/2pts for every second (from 1st fin destroyed to last fin destroyed)
  • +1pts for every unit of Liquid fuel used
  • +1pts for every unit of Oxidizer used
  • +1/2pts for every unit of Solid Fuel used
  • +1pts for every part (so for ex if your vessel has 30 parts add 30 points)
  • -50pts for completing the challenge under 1:30
  • -100pts for completing the challenge under 1:00
  • -25pts for having the pizza on a mountain
  • -50pts for having the pizza on any of the helipads on the KSC

Leaderboard:

Spoiler

Stock:

1. @bitzoid: -58 pts

2. [example entry] @Alienwall: 259 pts

3. @Rocket In My Pocket: 568.5 pts

Modded:

1. @Xurkitree: 70.9pts

Example entry:

Spoiler

Here's my entry, as an example: 

So my score is: 84pts (OX) + 68pts (LF) + 79pts (time) + 28pts (part count) = 259 points.

Badge:

For completing the challenge (regardless of score,) here's the badge:

hK9eF5i.png

(here's what it was from)

Edited by Alienwall

Let's get this pizza party rolling, I'll break the ice!

Behold; the Mk1PizzaCutter in all her glory. You'll notice her sturdy boom arm, lovely heat shielded front end, convenient temperature reader for that perfectly done crust, and lower intake fan so Jeb can smell that delicious pizza!

98F71069378D87DF7ADFD60AF26948AC3DCD4AD8

Apropos of nothing, I did the entire challenge in first person, with no HUD; is that worth any points lol? (I wasn't really trying for a high score, more so just wanted to kick the challenge off.) I actually tried to approach this as I would at my job, where I operate heavy equipment, was fun; great challenge! Let's see some more entries!

Score:

Time: 2:36-11:49 (9m13s) x1/2= +276.5 points.

Fuel: I goofed a bit here and didn't actually check lol. I'll just take fuel out of the tanks in the SPH till the D/v numbers match to check.

Starting: Lf(387.9) Ox(474.1) Ending: Lf(279.9) Ox(342.1) Difference: Lf(108) Ox(132) 108+132= +240 points.

Parts: 52 = +52 points.

Total: 568.5! (Yes, I know lower is better, this should be easy to beat lol.)

Because I know that using what is essentially an oxygen torch to cut a pizza is stupid and unreasonable, I have gone with something much more sensible in the form of a regular rolling pizza cutter... jet-powered that is.

Basically the blade is a bearing, free to rotate about its position, pushed by two jet engines strapped to the arms of the thing making it rotate at extremely high, yet completely safe, speeds. I strapped it to a buggy that was lying around and set to work...

9v5P0bt.png

(it's hard to see because screenshots don't move but it actually rotates)

...with more or less success:

yf6EzdQ.png

In unrelated news, I learnt that no matter how fast something rotates, it won't do damage to another part it touches; so the pizza is whole and my stomach empty... :( At least I made a good bearing for once.

Edited by Gaarst
Edited for clarity

Wow, plenty of activity already! :)

@Kergarin No, the center adapter can't be cut. It is kind of an arbitrary rule, but imo it's simpler to just cut one type of piece.

@Rocket In My Pocket Congrats and thanks for being the first entry. You've got a very cool design! Feel free to add the badge to your signature if you feel like it. You'll be added to the leaderboard. I'll have to think about points for doing it in IVA.

@Gaarst Wow, very nice design. Can you provide a screenshot showing that you've completed the challenge (the cut 'pizza' with your pizza cutter)? Also, since you haven't given any scoring I'll assume that you aren't trying to go for points. In any case, once again, great design.

Edited by Alienwall

I prefer using a Plasma-Cutter :D

T0W4v9R.png

Spoiler

Also cuts verry clean edges:
eBjVkFi.png

It's just a little airborne. It's still good, it's still good!

Just keem em in physics range and everything is fine:
H8vfOIU.png

It's just a little wet. It's still good, it's still good!

Not yet a full challenge entry, but a proof of concpet. Sadly I'm a little short on time to do the full Video on how it got up there

Edited by Kergarin

15 minutes ago, Alienwall said:

@Kergarin Why cut the pizza when the plasma can do it for you, right? Also, you don’t need a full video, multiple screenshots showing how it got there along with the screenshots of it being cut by the reentry will work for when you submit the entry

That's right :D

It's mostly all that docking and aligning which would take a lot of time. Actually it's all just strapped together in the VAB with decouplers. While for the challenge I would need claws and assemble this in orbit after an ssto (or whatever) took the pizza there, if I get the rules right. 

1 hour ago, Alienwall said:

Wow, very nice design. Can you provide a screenshot showing that you've completed the challenge (the cut 'pizza' with your pizza cutter)? Also, since you haven't given any scoring I'll assume that you aren't trying to go for points. In any case, once again, great design.

That's the thing, as cool as a design it may be, it doesn't work:

3 hours ago, Gaarst said:

In unrelated news, I learnt that no matter how fast something rotates, it won't do damage to another part it touches... :(

Edit: I have edited my post so that the part where it was a total failure is more obvious.

Edited by Gaarst

Okay, this is a really silly and fun challenge, and here are my 2 cents.

'Hey, there is nothing in the rules that says the pizza cutting contraption has to be attached to the craft!'

Yeah, this works - 

Scoring - 

Time : 25 second = 12.5 pts

Solid Fuel use = 236.8 = 118.4 pts

Part count -

Without Launch Clamps or MechJeb = 4x6+8 = 32 pts

With Launch Clamps and MechJeb = 32+8 = 40 pts

-100pts for completing the challenge under 1:00 - CONFIRMED

Final Score

Without Clamps and MJ = 162.9 - 100 = 62.9

With Clamps and MJ = 170.9 - 100 = 70.9

Edited by Xurkitree

1 hour ago, Xurkitree said:

'Hey, there is nothing in the rules that says the pizza cutting contraption has to be attached to the craft!'

Neat entry lol!

Although I think it could be argued a separate craft is a requirement, depending on how literally you take the rules (there are several references to an assumed "craft"); but that'll be up to the OP.

On 12/9/2018 at 2:02 PM, Alienwall said:

Provide video evidence or a screenshots, including one of your craft and the cut-up pizza.

Edited by Rocket In My Pocket

@Xurkitree Congrats on completing the challenge! Even though, as @Rocket In My Pocket pointed out, your system isn't separate from the pizza, there were too many explosions for me to not accept it. Plus, I don't want to edit the rules because im lazy restrict entries too much; a lot of the fun in this challenge (imo at least) is seeing all of the crazy ways that players cut the pizza. Nice score, too. 

edit: Xurkitree, your score will be based on the part count with clamps and mechjeb.

Edited by Alienwall

21 minutes ago, Human Person said:

Mark Thrimm made a video a while ago. It fits perfectly for this challenge: 

https://youtu.be/mo4q7RGUCu4

I‘m just gonna leave this here.

'TO SHOW YOU THE POWER OF STRUTS I CUT THIS STATION IN HALF!'

Also - @Alienwall make the image smaller? I can't fit it in my sig. Unless you know how?

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I call my approach the "Ballistic Gravity Assist" pizza cutting technique. It uses zero fuel and exactly 42 (stock) parts (which in my oppinion should give extra credit!). I'll let the pictures do the talking.

k2dvCng.jpgciBQk2r.jpgVAUfa3L.jpgrfPGUJ3.jpg

• Fall time is less than 1 second. Slice time is instantaneous: 0pts
  • No fuel used at all: 0pts
  • 42 parts: 42pts (6 parts could be optimised but then it would look less pretty)
  • Challenge completed in less than 1 minute: -100pts (I'm assuming I don't get the extra -50pts on top of that).
  • Launchpad: 0pts

Total: -58pts :D

Bonus: It provides 3 sets of chopsticks if you wish to consume your pizza that way.

Edited by bitzoid

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.